diy solar

diy solar

Is The Inverter Charger Necessary On A RV

Agree about quality terminals and crimps but the length of the wire doesn't much matter in regards to current carrying capacity.
The big factors are ambient temperature and amperage of course.
According to this document https://www.usawire-cable.com/pdf/nec-ampacities.pdf
4/0 awg copper with insulation rated for 90C can carry 260 amps.
That means fault current should be less than <= 260 amps.
Your correct about length. But even at full load a 3000 watt inverter will not get to 260 amps.

Greg

Your correct about length. But even at full load a 3000 watt inverter will not get to 260 amps.

Greg
Please refer to the link below.
page 8
See the table entry for the evo3012 which is a direct competitor of the multiplus.

Even a high frequency inverter can theoretically hit 275 amps service current at full load.
With standard headroom of 125% that is 367 amps fault current.

3000 ac watts / .85 conversion factor / 12 volts low cutoff = ~294 dc amps
~294 dc amps / .8 fuse headroom = ~368 fuse amps

Last edited:
Please refer to the link below.
page 8
See the table entry for the evo3012 which is a direct competitor of the multiplus.

Even a high frequency inverter can theoretically hit 275 amps service current at full load.
With standard headroom of 125% that is 367 amps fault current.

3000 ac watts / .85 conversion factor / 12 volts low cutoff = ~294 dc amps
~294 dc amps / .8 fuse headroom = ~368 fuse amps
True enough, but now look at realty. Those numbers are good for continue service. How long are you really going to draw 100% for more than a few minutes? All I have is 2 AC and a micro wave and all three would never be on at the same time. It's great info to have but in and RV it just isn't going to happen.

Greg

True enough, but now look at realty. Those numbers are good for continue service. How long are you really going to draw 100% for more than a few minutes? All I have is 2 AC and a micro wave and all three would never be on at the same time. It's great info to have but in and RV it just isn't going to happen.

Greg
As a matter of policy I design for full load through the inverter and ignore the pure dc loads unless they are significant.
You said a 3000 watt inverter could not pull 260 amps and I've shown that they can.

So it can but realistically in the given application is it going too? Not likely and then not for more than a few minutes.

Greg

So it can but realistically in the given application is it going too? Not likely and then not for more than a few minutes.

Greg
I want the fuse to blow before the wire insulation melts or catches fire and I don't want nuisance trips so I go with the numbers.

New here, so apologies if I step on any toes.

I have a Samlex EVO-1212 inverter/charger/transfer switch with solar input (150W panel) in my motorhome since 2018 and except for the weight, I like it a lot. I had a mobile communications business for 40 years and used a lot of Samlex equipment with near zero failures. I can't say that for the high end public safety equipment we maintained.

I prefer higher voltage configurations for lower current if that is an option.

m

what about running your jacks off your trucks power only via the the trailers plug in power ,could save all that stuff in relays ,plus it will make it hard gor thief to take your yrailer
I actually hit upon a better idea the other day. I was planning on removing the AC to DC converter but will leave it in place and install a switch to turn it on/off. The only load for the converter will be the truck camper jacks. I'll power up the converter thru the 3000w inverter when needed.

If you plan to connect to shore power an ul-458 inverter charger is the way to go.
It includes an automatic transfer switch which makes it a sweet setup.
If you prices an inverter and a charger and an automatic transfer switch you will see the value proposition.
The other huge advantage of an inverter charger is they are way more configurable for charge profiles and low voltage disconnect and much more.
pretty terrible amazon reviews

Then don't use that one.
There are plenty of ul-458 listed inverters that will work fine.
I'm didn't read the review to see what people didn't like about that particular model but aims has a pretty good reputation for making value stuff that works.
Can you characterize the major objections?
Actually why are we talking about this model, did someone recommend it?

So I was somewhat on the right track, the Renogy 3000 Inverter / charger is the unit I was looking at:

That being said, this is a 3000W unit, I couldn't tell if this unit is low or high frequency (how can you tell?). According to SmoothJoe I'd be pushing it at 12V.

What you're saying is my batteries may not support being joined serially. This is news to me as I am used to "dumb" led acid batteries. I purchased the batteries on Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08KZQBMSL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There is limited information on the capability...

As far as the batteries running down, I was more worried about the opposite effect. There is plenty of sun here, so can the batteries get damaged if they're constantly being charged and full or is a good mppt controller completely mitigating that aspect. Otherwise, I can put them on a maintainer over the winter for storage while not connected to the solar system.
When you store your lifepo4 batteries for long periods, they should not be charged more than 50% capacity.

I've been going back and forth between the 24V and 12V Victron 3000 for a while now, mainly because I ordered 2 panels at 425W each, which brings my need for a Victron 150/60 MPPT at 12V rather than a 100/30 MPPT which is half the price.

I keep thinking that relying on the extra components of either having another independent 12V battery or a buck converter adds to the likelihood of a failure somewhere.

The only buck controller that I could find in Canada that isn't a no-name brand is the Victron Orion, which gives me 840V continuous. Is that enough for a 29' RV? I could not find much information online.

Also, everyone seems to be putting an inline fuse between the batteries and the inverter. I would much rather buy a circuit breaker if I can but I am having a hard time finding something for a 4/0 AWG cable that doesn't need to be inside a breaker box. Any ideas? Also should I go with exactly 3000W with a 250A breaker or slightly above at 300A

If you want a breaker look at Midnite Solar/Carling.
I would not use a breaker, it's not something that should ever trip or blow except in a catastrophic failure. Using a 3 position battery switch modified with pre-charge and a class "T"is better IMHO...
This is from the Victron 12-3000va manual....bigger is always better though.
Recommended DC fuse400A Recommended cross section (per + and - connection terminal) 2x AWG 1/0
Make sure you are comparing correct numbers for inverter capacity some are rated in VA some in watts
I would still stick with 12v-but thats just me....

The only buck controller that I could find in Canada that isn't a no-name brand is the Victron Orion, which gives me 840V continuous. Is that enough for a 29' RV? I could not find much information online.
840V makes no sense.
What amp rating is the ac2dc converter that came with the RV.
If you are not adding any dc loads that is the rating that you need.
Most RV's will run with the battery disconnected.
I suggest that for a test you disconnect the battery and try the big draw loads to see if they run ok off the ac2dc converter.
If they do then a quality dc2dc converter of the same rating should work.
Also, everyone seems to be putting an inline fuse between the batteries and the inverter. I would much rather buy a circuit breaker if I can but I am having a hard time finding something for a 4/0 AWG cable that doesn't need to be inside a breaker box.
Thermal breakers for the amperage you need at 12 volts is a non starter.
You may be able to find a magnetic breaker but I expect it will be expensive.
As I stated above with math to back it it up.
You need 2 current paths each with over-current protection to handle 250amps.
I guess you could do 1 current path but the wire to do that is huge and requires special tools.
This is one of the tools
This is why we urged you to consider 24 volts nominal.
Any ideas? Also should I go with exactly 3000W with a 250A breaker or slightly above at 300A
You need 2x 250 amp magnetic breakers with cable to handle the fault current.
Have a look at my math throughout this thread.
Class t fuses are the best option.

Last edited:
I've been going back and forth between the 24V and 12V Victron 3000 for a while now, mainly because I ordered 2 panels at 425W each, which brings my need for a Victron 150/60 MPPT at 12V rather than a 100/30 MPPT which is half the price.

If you start adding more panels, you will wish you went with a 24v system.........
I keep thinking that relying on the extra components of either having another independent 12V battery or a buck converter adds to the likelihood of a failure somewhere.

Also, everyone seems to be putting an inline fuse between the batteries and the inverter. I would much rather buy a circuit breaker if I can but I am having a hard time finding something for a 4/0 AWG cable that doesn't need to be inside a breaker box. Any ideas? Also should I go with exactly 3000W with a 250A breaker or slightly above at 300A
I have a 3000w inverter and this is why I went with 24v. Makes life easier and components easier to find to hook it up including ANL fuses. You can get a 300A ANL fuse and holder, that's the max I see. It would get you there on 12v provided there isn't a large surge. Do you really think you will run the inverter at max 3000w? I plan on maybe 2000w max and I'm on 24v. On 24v, I can get by with 150A ANL fuse. I was able to run much smaller cable than 4/0 also. Makes life so much easier.

Would I use a breaker for this purpose? No.

The buck converter is not that big of a deal. Maybe you should audit what your current usage is on 12v accessories? Have you reduced load already such as led lighting? And many things can be retrofitted to run on 24v without the buck converter.

If you start adding more panels, you will wish you went with a 24v system.........

I have a 3000w inverter and this is why I went with 24v. Makes life easier and components easier to find to hook it up including ANL fuses. You can get a 300A ANL fuse and holder, that's the max I see. It would get you there on 12v provided there isn't a large surge. Do you really think you will run the inverter at max 3000w? I plan on maybe 2000w max and I'm on 24v. On 24v, I can get by with 150A ANL fuse. I was able to run much smaller cable than 4/0 also. Makes life so much easier.

Would I use a breaker for this purpose? No.

The buck converter is not that big of a deal. Maybe you should audit what your current usage is on 12v accessories? Have you reduced load already such as led lighting? And many things can be retrofitted to run on 24v without the buck converter.
I ended going with a web store wiring diagram...

Seems ideal as all the components are listed and I can still upgrade later on up to 1200w from my 850w and could add another 200ah of batteries.

edit: Minus the Orion unit of course as this is designed to go on a motorhome with an alternator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm,
I wonder if somebody is making a boatload of money off that page.......

Hmmm,
I wonder if somebody is making a boatload of money off that page.......
I should quit posting here and helping people and instead spend the time creating a webpage like that with all those affiliate links. People here don't listen anyway as a poser on the internet can post something and it's gospel.

I should quit posting here and helping people and instead spend the time creating a webpage like that with all those affiliate links. People here don't listen anyway as a poser on the internet can post something and it's gospel.
I actually do appreciate all the help that I've received on here. For a rookie like me, it's difficult to know where to even start. I would say that this discussion was more productive than most when I've had to use a forum for help.

That being said, even knowing all the components I needed left me with a lot of questions, like how to set up the wire, which gauge of wire to use, where to install the fuses, etc. That explorist website actually had the best videos and the wiring diagram includes all the parts needed. Plus if you actually click on those items, they link to Amazon so I am not sure what the profit he would get out of that, other than selling his diagrams for $10 in high res.

Either way, thanks a lot to all of you. I may have more questions when time comes to install all this stuff ?

As you start to learn more you'll see some things in those videos that you probably would not include in your build. For me it was the fact that audio circuit breakers were used by the YouTube channel instead of properly rated DC circuit breakers.

When I measure wire, I really lean on the conservative side, so thicker the better. I look at wire and connector Ampacity. For example most MC4 connectors are rated 30 amps or less, so once I have more than that those are out. I also look at voltage loss over distances. I wanted to set my system up 1S6P, but voltage loss became too large for a reasonably sized wire run of 50' each way, so I went with 3S2P. There's a couple other things, but this is the calculator I use:

Since fusing and wires is such a critical thing, its best you work through that yourself, but you'll get plenty of help here.

Back