diy solar

diy solar

Is this legitimate? Is it worth it?

Sparky7

Some of what this guy says sounds true but at the same time it seems like he Is exaggerating and how damaging your generator can be to your inverter and home appliances. He must not be referring to a inverter generator?

Just wondering if this product is worth it or if it’s a gimmick. Please explain why. Thank you

It's not a gimmick. It's a battery charger that isn't effected by "dirty" power. Whether it's worth it or not depends upon your use case.

I have an inverter generator. I read this will produce cleaner power than the electric utility.
the point is, your inverter/charger is either.

so it either charges or inverters, cant do both.
also means when sizing your genny, it needs to be able to power both all loads and charging the battery.
most gennies are undersized, cause bad sibe wave, damaging the inverter/charger

the point is, your inverter/charger is either.

so it either charges or inverters, cant do both.
also means when sizing your genny, it needs to be able to power both all loads and charging the battery.
most gennies are undersized, cause bad sibe wave, damaging the inverter/charger
My inverter is 8500 peak which was plenty for charging and taking care of our needs. I'm not sure what I will need for a generator now. I plan to upgrade to 6 100ah Lithiums from 8. L16s

My inverter is 8500 peak which was plenty for charging and taking care of our needs. I'm not sure what I will need for a generator now. I plan to upgrade to 6 100ah Lithiums from 8. L16s
you are missing the point..
this has nothing to do with your inverter, rather the max of the required genny...

I will look into this. I don't want to have to replace my inverter or generator because they were damaged.

It's an AC charger that can run off non-inverter generator power. Not really special. The decision to use a dedicated AC charger like this or not depends on your requirements.

The number one inverter damage source is generator under-sizing, nobody wants to pay enough for a big quality generator (heck I wouldn't either)

you also should save a lot more than the cost of this unit by getting a much cheaper and smaller, even lower quality generator instead of doing what the rich nuts here do with $10k for some "Legendary" brand that they only run 50 hours per year :LOL:

It's an AC charger that can run off non-inverter generator power. Not really special. The decision to use a dedicated AC charger like this or not depends on your requirements.
I have a cheap inverter generator (wen gen). I think it's 8500 w peak and 7000 continuous. It's more than enough for us but my son and his family just moved into living quarters on the property. It's on my solar system too. The system isn't big enough for both places.

When they start the generator it's rpms fluctuate a lot.

The generator is wired through the inverter. The batteries take what they need and the rest feeds both places (house and living quarters.

Would it be better for my inverter if I had a chargeverter or is it ok because I have an inverter generator?

The number one inverter damage source is generator under-sizing, nobody wants to pay enough for a big quality generator (heck I wouldn't either)

you also should save a lot more than the cost of this unit by getting a much cheaper and smaller, even lower quality generator instead of doing what the rich nuts here do with $10k for some "Legendary" brand that they only run 50 hours per year :LOL:
Would it be necessary to get a chargeverter if I'm using an inverter generator?

When they start the generator it's rpms fluctuate a lot.
Normal for an inverter generator. The inverter maintains the output frequency instead of it being based on engine speed, which allows the engine to throttle up and down depending on the load and use less gas (plus have a cleaner output than a regular generator would).

if your generator is sized at off grid inverter capacity + battery charge kw + 33% at least then it is fine. but undersized still has the voltage collapse whenever your house load surges up wile charging
I am considering getting one. My son and his family moved in to the extra living quarters on our property. My solar system and generator aren't large enough for both.

I wondered about the generator running out of gas (sputtering). I’m guessing that might be hard on the inverter.

I'm thinking it might be cheap insurance to get one.

If you plan to use a generator to power a charger of large power capability you should get one that specifies AC input power factor correction.

Since they make no mention of power factor, I would stay away from this one.

A unit that does have power factor correction will be sure to mention it in their specs.

You will need an 8-12kW generator to power a 5kW simple rectifier-filter AC-DC conversion charger due to the chargers high, short, current peaks near AC voltage peaks of a simple rectifier-filter capacitor input.

Most hybrid inverter/chargers use synchronous rectification and have good power factor for AC input charging, with AC input power factor between 0.90 and 0.95.

Full Wave rectified Power Factor diagram.png

Back