diy solar

diy solar

Jbd bms not showing small devices running

marcello

Hi,
Let's say if I plug an usb light or something small like this, my bms still shows zero Ah consumed.
I think everything under 2 or 3Ah is not shown.
Does it mean if I let an usb light plugged during one month, the displayed battery SOC will still be at 100%? (Whereas we all know the battery will be flat dead)
Or maybe the bms still count the Ah but doesn't ahiw them?
Thanks

Does it show the wattage being consumed? My 200A 4S JBD recognizes around 3-5W or usage.

How big of a battery bank is the BMS connected to?

5w on a 1200whr battery is much different from 5w on. 13,000whr battery.

Knowing the SOC in mainly voltage based it’s not the most accurate, a proper smart shunt is well worth the investment if you need to track each WHr.

You don't state below what power the JBD is not detecting - maybe you meant 2 to 3W?

The JBD's internal shunt is reputed to be quite accurate, though probably not as good as a Victron Smart Shunt.

I guess all shunts will have a minimum voltage that they can measure, which will represent a minimum current depending on their size. e.g. a 500A shunt will be less sensitive than a 2000A shunt.

I would not be worried if the JBD does not register a small discharge if that is the only load you are running - this is because it also will stop discharge when a minimum cell voltage is reached and prevent any damage to the cells.

Some small USB lights consume less than 0.5W. I think you’ll be hard pressed to find anything except for very expensive measuring tools to be able to accurately and consistently detect such a small current. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t believe even a good columb counter like the Victron smart shunt can do this.

I'd agree. 0.5W at 12v is just 42mA. IIRC, the most sensitive Victron Smart Shunt drops 50mV at 500A. So 42mA would represent a voltage across the shunt of just 4.2 uV - sounds hopeful to be able to accurately measure that amount above electrical 'noise'. Having said that, Victron's tech spec claims a resolution of +/- 10mA.

FYI: there is an old thread also relevant...

Hi guys thank you very much for your replies.

My battery is a 200ah one.

I think the bms doesn't show under 1ah consumption, I have to do some tests I only tried with usb lights . I think I also tried with a phone charging and saw nothing on the bms, but I can't recall well, have to do it again

Back