diy solar

diy solar

JiaBaiDa UP Series BMS (Parallel Packs)

jyauxi

Farmer/Engineer/Economist
The following is a review/troubleshooting notes from my recently purchased JiaBaiDa UP Series 100a 16s parallel BMS (JBD-UP16S010-L16S-100A). I purchased these off the JiaBaiDa website directly and arranged for shipment.

I've had the BMS for roughly 3 weeks now and populating 5 boards with 16s 100a LiFePO4 batteries (CALB & Great Power). The hybrid inverter I am connecting them to is a pair of Deye 12kw 3-Phase Inverters (SUN-12K-SG04LP3-EU).

I will probably expand the system to several parallel packs but still to be determined if we will use this brand of BMS or not (or if there is something better).

Datasheet and Manual of the BMS can be located at this link.

The datasheet section is folded into the manual but is somewhat incomplete or not easy to understand. The IC used for instance are listed in #5 main material section instead of being upfront and listed out like most datasheet. The main microcontroller is HDSC HC32L072KATA (have not yet encountered this). The BMS IC is OZ3717 (again never heard of chip). If anyone has background on this, would be nice to connect.

JiaBaiDa does not have some quick start guide to use the BMS. But here are my notes:
  1. Wire up the battery sense leads. There are 4 connectors, each with a temp sensor. They've labeled the cables 1, 2, 3, 4 and cables 1 and 3 have leads connected to the negative pole of cell 1 and cell 9.
  2. Attach the P- leads from the BMS to load/inverter. (note positive is directly connected to your load/inverter with your choice of protection in between).
  3. Wire up 3 ribbon cable to another board with all the connections to RS485/CAN/Dry Contacts/Indicator Lights/Switches.
  4. Add a latching switch (not supplied) CJ11. This is the main power button to start the BMS. Without this the BMS won't boot up.
  5. Attach the battery sense cables 1-4 in order.
  6. Double check all connections
  7. Attach the B+ cable to the positive lead of the 16th cell.
  8. Power up the BMS by turning on the switch connected to CJ11
JiaBaiDa sells the BMS with an external UART LCD screen (purchased separately) for getting quick information about the battery pack. The port for the LCD doubles as UART interface for configuring/firmware flashing. JIaBaiDa does sell a USB-UART adaptor separately for this.

The BMS requires a windows computer to configure/flash the firmware. The UP series uses a different program from other JiaBaiDa BMSes (probably because of parallel capability). The program can be found on their website.

Connection from the PC to the BMS is done via USB-UART or USB-RS485. The USB-UART adaptor they sell comes with the connector for the BMS (uses the LCD port). The USB-RS485 adaptor they sell DOES NOT come with the RJ45 plug so you have to crimp this yourself. The wiring method is indicated in the datasheet/manual.

After starting the MJBD tools, select the com port of your USB-UART or USB-RS485 and the BMS defaults to 9600 baud. After confirming the com port and baud rate, there is a start button to initiate the connection. After which you should be able to see and configure the BMS.

When upgrading the firmware, I've tried using RS485 and failed, so it might be better to have a USB-UART adaptor to do this. When the firmware flashing has failed, it is possible to recover from this with the following steps:
  1. connect the BMS using USB-UART (LCD port).
  2. power up the BMS (even if you get logboot failed, its ok)
  3. launch the MJBD tools
  4. select the com port and baud rate (IMPORTANT: Select 38400 baud rate)
  5. click on upgrade button (do not click on start)
  6. it may fail but you can try a couple of time before you get success.
So far I have 3 battery packs parallel connected. The communication between BMS is through RJ45 cables using RS485. The master BMS is connected to my master inverter via CAN.

I still have problems configuring the parameters since I want each pack to have 20a charge/discharge limit with 100a transient discharge. Still waiting on support for assistance on this,

I can confirm the CAN communication seems to be working since when I remove a battery pack, the Inverter decreases charge/discharge current. On the Deye Inverter, the inverter displays the battery pack as "LiBms:01".

I do want to have the BMS connected to solar assistant but the JBD RS485 protocol cannot recognize the BMS (probably because it has parallel communication and might have a different frame parameters. I am still waiting if JiaBaiDa will share the RS485 protocol.

My wishlist for this BMS is to also use the dry contacts to switch on/off an external active balancer based on individual cell voltage and switch off when voltage delta between the cells goes down or goes below a threshold voltage.

Generally an "OK" BMS for now. Still to be determined if it will meet my expectations to expand my battery packs with this brand.

Does anyone else have this BMS? What do you think?

Thank you for taking the time to write the detailed response.
I see the website mentions 10-16s can we connect the other configurations and if so, have you tested it.
Any response will be much appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to write the detailed response.
I see the website mentions 10-16s can we connect the other configurations and if so, have you tested it.
Any response will be much appreciated.
I will get back to you next week when my new batch of Jiabaida bms arrives. I will try to test 10s and see if it runs.

Thank you for your reply. And i eagerly await your reply regarding alternate series configuration for the above BMS.

In the meantime i contacted the JBD representatives on alibaba, it was very hard to get the information from them.

They suggested the BMS above can be used for 15s and that the 15 and 16 cell balance/cell voltage lead should be shorted.

I haven't checked the below diagram, it is a modified version of the 16s diagram that i received from them.

Below diagram and the instructions you have suggested should be enough to make it work.

Attachments

• ess smart image.jpg
    ess smart image.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 201
Has there been any update on this?
I've just received a protocol which I've attached - it may be of some use. Ideally I'd like to monitor the BMS data via MQTT like all my other BMS's but it doesn't appear to work. It's odd - some websites say this BMS is Bluetooth also... its 100% not.

I also can't get the parallel communication with the BMS to work. For instance my SunSynk8.8 inverter reads the current from the BMS as appose to reading it from the shunt in the inverter. With this BMS it just reads the current from 1 pack.

It's kind of rubbish.

Build well though.

Attachments

• Communication protocol-QM-UPS1601.pdf
    179 KB · Views: 112
Hi to all,
sorry for my google translate :)

I also have this BMS, with 13s2p Li-NMC (LGx-e78). Unfortunately, my easun smp 5k inverter does not support work with CAN/RS485 (although it has connectors and IC's on board...but build in firmware is not support, of course, the support of EASUN does not help at all)))))

works like a normal bms, but once every few days i have a bug on the built in display (see pic) and all readings stop and stay the same until the bms reboots. To remove it, you need to turn off/on the battery with the CJ11 switch.

photo_2023-06-18_19-00-27.jpg

Support is not responding

if anyone knows how to fix it, or has a newer firmware (I have v21), please share.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. And i eagerly await your reply regarding alternate series configuration for the above BMS.

In the meantime i contacted the JBD representatives on alibaba, it was very hard to get the information from them.

They suggested the BMS above can be used for 15s and that the 15 and 16 cell balance/cell voltage lead should be shorted.

I haven't checked the below diagram, it is a modified version of the 16s diagram that i received from them.

Below diagram and the instructions you have suggested should be enough to make it work.
Yes, this works. Also need to change the Pack Number in Parameters to the number of cells used in the pack. Please note "Pack Number" is how many cells in the pack and not a pack ID.

Support is frustrating to be honest. I've had my fair share of unanswered questions.

Hi to all,

I also have this BMS, with 13s2p Li-NMC (LGx-e78). Unfortunately, my easun smp 5k inverter does not support work with CAN/RS485 (although it has connectors and IC's on board...but build in firmware is not support, of course, the support of EASUN does not help at all)))))

works like a normal bms, but once every few days i have a bug on the built in display (see pic) and all readings stop and stay the same until the bms reboots. To remove it, you need to turn off/on the battery with the CJ11 switch.

View attachment 153386

if anyone knows how to fix it, or has a newer firmware (I have v21), please share.
I have not experienced this problem so far. Also on version 21. When I contact their support, it usually takes 2-3 days to get a decent reply.

I have the integrated version of this board but cannot connect to with rs485 to computer . Which usb-rs485 adapator are you using?

I have not experienced this problem so far. Also on version 21. When I contact their support, it usually takes 2-3 days to get a decent reply.

unfortunately support directs me to a seller who does not respond.

I was wrong, my firmware version is 1D (21 it was the display version), and I read here that you have the firmware version 24 file, maybe you could share?
thanks in advance

1688493251564.png

Hello all,

I also bought a Jiabaida BMS UP16S010. The connection of the cell voltage wires I have made according to the manual and the wiringdiagram shown in this post.
Unfortunately, the cell voltage at cell1 and cell2 is not measured correctly. See also both photos in the attachment. The voltage value displayed with the JBD Tools software jumps back and forth between cell1 and cell2 every few seconds. Does anyone know why or does a firmware update do anything ?
I am grateful for any tip !
Best regards Hermann

Attachments

• IMG_20230723_122733.jpg
    IMG_20230723_122733.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20230723_122743.jpg
    IMG_20230723_122743.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 60
Hello all,
the problem has been solved. It was a cell voltage connection not crimped correctly.
Now the 16S-302Ah battery pack works as desired and is connected to the Victron OS Raspberry via CAN (is recognized as Liontron).

Best regards, Hermann

Hello, does anybody know what the translation for these "????" is - or better to say: How does the values in the right column correspond with the values in the "Basic protected parameter configuration" column?
Regards Christian

Attachments

• JBD BMS SW 2.jpg
    JBD BMS SW 2.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 69
Hi, so I also bought this BMS. I can't communicate with it via RS485. Is there no RS485 communication protocol specification available? The seller provided a communication protocol, but it does not work. I think the UP series has a different one. I want to extract data from BMS.

Martin.

Attachments

• JBD communication protocol new-RS485,RS232,UART.pdf
    647.8 KB · Views: 52
I had direct support from JBD: The fields above in the JBD Software (with the "????") stand for "Save Date" and "Alarm Parameter"

I received an Firmware update (from "1D" ) for PCB 1.2 to Version 2D - and with this version it is no problem it is no problem to set the CAN and RS485 communication to "Deye". Maybe there are some other changes - for me the BMS works really perfect - very happy!

I received an Firmware update (from "1D" ) for PCB 1.2 to Version 2D - and with this version it is no problem it is no problem to set the CAN and RS485 communication to "Deye". Maybe there are some other changes - for me the BMS works really perfect - very happy!
Hello,
Did you contact support to get the firmware update or it is available for download on their website?

Hi to all,

View attachment 153386

I am getting the same error occasionally unaware of what is the reason , did you find the solution to this issue.

Back