diy solar

diy solar

JK 1A or 2A?

You got lucky with a well matched/batched set of cells.
I'm pretty sure this isn't the case.
As I noted above, I have Aliexpress cells that were supposed to be 280Ah 'Brand New' EVE cells. 15 of them have QR codes ground off, but one has an intact code that indicates it is a CATL 240Ah cell model 6LH3L7, which as far as I can tell CATL produced in 2018 or 2019. I acquired the cells in December of 2022 (so they were either used or warehoused for several years) and capacity tested them with an EBC-A20, and they all came in between 232 and 239 Ah, which is pretty well-matched in capacity terms, I'll agree (also note, I refer above to them being 230Ah cells, which is how I set my capacity because it's about what I actual get out of them, but one of them at least is technically a '240Ah' cell).

These are far-from-perfect cells from a far-from-reputable supplier, and in fact one of them (perhaps not coincidentally, the one with the intact QR code) seems to behave differently from the others in an important way: while charging it rises above 3.4V about 2% or 3% of SoC before the other 15 cells. Initially, I had my balance start voltage set to 3.4V but noticed that the active balancer would start discharging cell#3, and continue to do so from about 93% SoC to 96% SoC, then gradually the other 15 cells would catch up in voltage and then blow right past #3 which had been discharged slightly by the balancer. Then from about 98% SoC to the end of the charge the active balancer would charge cell #3 to force it to catch up with the others.

What was happening was that #3 had a slightly different charge curve than the other 15 cells, and so active balancing too soon was actually causing imbalance. I changed my balance start voltage to 3.45V, and since then the active balancer doesn't really have much of anything to do, even with my relatively not-great cells. So in my particular case, even starting balancing at 3.4V was too soon!

@Steve_S, looking at some of your other posts here and here, you reference starting balancing at 3.30V, and I suspect that this is causing imbalance in your packs. @RCinFLA spells out a reason in a response here, and I think he's correct. Also Andy of Off Grid Garage has documented this phenomena several times. So, if you're creating some amount of imbalance any time the cell voltage is between 3.3V and 3.4V by shuttling energy back and forth between cells that aren't actually unbalanced, it makes a lot of sense that you would then require a significant amount of active balancing (e.g., 1A per 100Ah of capacity) once the cells get above 3.4V to actually get them back into balance.

I'm no expert, and it's possible that I'm just flat wrong about this, but I suspect that if you changed your start balance voltage to somewhere between 3.40V and 3.45V, you'd get away just fine with a smaller amount of active balance capability.

Shouldn't it be rated by how many amps of current is going into the cells vs how large the cells are?
Yes, and also how much time the active balancer has to do it's job, and how far out of balance the cells are. A 1A active balancer working for 30 minutes will do the same thing as a 2A balancer in 15 minutes.
If you are charging with 80amps it needs a large balancer to distribute that current quickly.
Sort of, but in reality it might not help as much as you'd like until the battery is already pretty close to being balanced... In most realistic cases a reasonable-size active balancer won't be able to do much to compete with the charge current. Even at the 20A you're seeing right now, a 2A active balancer would increase or decrease that current to one cell (for a few seconds at a time) to 22A or 18A, which isn't that big of a difference. It's more a matter of how far out of balance your cells are.

Need to bring the cells close to full daily to get a decent balance going. Still could take an extended period for the balance to complete.
60% full will accomplish very little. The cells may even bottom balance if bouncing off being depleted. That is OK too and will adjust in summer when working the top half of the capacity.

Last edited:
Dang Steve..... You should have a tool box of BMS's at your place.......
Chargery'sn EVE200ANA relays, & DCC's with them all...
Some JBD, Hankzor, Heltec
JKBMS 150 & 200's
Assorted Acive Balancers (QNBBM, Heltec etc)
and a pile more can't think of and most in sets of 5 or more...
Don't even wanna hazard a guess what it's all worth, all good in perfect order, several New Unused stuff too.

Ya.....thats why I posted. So you have not sold any of it off. Perhaps you should.

Need to bring the cells close to full daily to get a decent balance going. Still could take an extended period for the balance to complete.
60% full will accomplish very little. The cells may even bottom balance if bouncing off being depleted. That is OK too and will adjust in summer when working the top half of the capacity.

Only way they will get full right now is if we have around a week of full sun. Even when the forecast calls for full sun its more less partly sunny. The jets flying overhead spraying there clouds lol don't help any either.

Back