diy solar

diy solar

JK-BMS-CAN with new Cut-Off Charging Logic (open-source)

I'm looking very forward for @Der_Hannes implementation of this. Is there something I could do to help ? I'm really an ESPHome NOOB though :fp

@Der_Hannes : can you confirm that only CAN_H and CAN_L are needed on the inverter side ? Usually also CAN_GND is exposed on a CAN interface (I would suppose it should be tied to GND in this case, but maybe it's intentionally left floating to prevent a ground loop ?).
View attachment 202971
Will this config work with S3 - If so what would be the GPIO set ?

Also - has anyone successfully flashed the S£ with ESPHome? - no joy here yet

Will this config work with S3 - If so what would be the GPIO set ?

Also - has anyone successfully flashed the S£ with ESPHome? - no joy here yet
I could flash @Sleeper85 code on the ESP32 Devkit.

Or are you talking about @Der_Hannes code ?

There were some tips&tricks in the syssi forum/issues, where you need to increase the STACK size for (some?) ESP32 to work correctly.

My config for @Sleeper85 (although I will wait for those Atom S3 Lite + CAN hat now ...)
YAML:
esphome:
  name: ${name}
  platformio_options:
    build_flags:
      - -DCONFIG_ARDUINO_LOOP_STACK_SIZE=32768
  comment: ${device_description}
  project:
    name: !secret project_name
    version: !secret project_version
  on_boot:
    then:
      - switch.turn_on: can_switch_charging
      - switch.turn_on: can_switch_discharging
      - switch.turn_on: can_switch_float
      - switch.turn_on: can_switch_auto_charge_current
      - switch.turn_on: can_switch_auto_discharge_current
      - switch.turn_on: can_switch_auto_charge_voltage

Attachments

• esp32-ble-1.17.4.yaml.txt
    87.4 KB · Views: 1
I could flash @Sleeper85 code on the ESP32 Devkit.

Or are you talking about @Der_Hannes code ?

There were some tips&tricks in the syssi forum/issues, where you need to increase the STACK size for (some?) ESP32 to work correctly.

My config for @Sleeper85 (although I will wait for those Atom S3 Lite + CAN hat now ...)
YAML:
esphome:
  name: ${name}
  platformio_options:
    build_flags:
      - -DCONFIG_ARDUINO_LOOP_STACK_SIZE=32768
  comment: ${device_description}
  project:
    name: !secret project_name
    version: !secret project_version
  on_boot:
    then:
      - switch.turn_on: can_switch_charging
      - switch.turn_on: can_switch_discharging
      - switch.turn_on: can_switch_float
      - switch.turn_on: can_switch_auto_charge_current
      - switch.turn_on: can_switch_auto_discharge_current
      - switch.turn_on: can_switch_auto_charge_voltage
Sleeper85 code
Last time I tried it found that after flashing the devices don't get detected by Windows after.

I had to flash first use option - then add it to my network and then upload using web ip

But not only is it long process it also reverts back to wireless once plugged and unplugged

What process are you using with the EspHome - the normal process?
If there is a special trick please send link

Thanks

Sleeper85 code
Last time I tried it found that after flashing the devices don't get detected by Windows after.

I had to flash first use option - then add it to my network and then upload using web ip

But not only is it long process it also reverts back to wireless once plugged and unplugged

What process are you using with the EspHome - the normal process?
If there is a special trick please send link

Thanks
reverts to wireless ??? you have it wired ????

@chaosnature, the S3 lite has been tested internally (both wired and wireless versions) with the latest YAML code.
There's a separate folder in the GitHub repo called 'config' - you'll find the S3 lite instructions there.
Follow those, adjusting the main YAML as instructed and it should work for you.

@chaosnature, the S3 lite has been tested internally (both wired and wireless versions) with the latest YAML code.
There's a separate folder in the GitHub repo called 'config' - you'll find the S3 lite instructions there.
Follow those, adjusting the main YAML as instructed and it should work for you.
Thanks

I just got the M5 CAN hat and hope to set it up soon on Bat02.

I just hit OVP again (once today) and for the cell that hit OVP at 3.55V, it came down at roughly 3.42V in less than 240 seconds.

So it's not a whole lot of "slow down" in terms of Ah etc that is needed (at least on that specific cell).

Very roughly:
2A balance (JK BMS) * 50% duty cycle of balancer * 240s/3600s < 1 Ah

I followed the instructions - set AoBo and SMA it detected the battries only after settings it physically at the inveter
and then it does di charge for few seconds then stopped
1711035608168.png

Now the energy just leaks to the grid

1711035683941.png

I followed the instructions - set AoBo and SMA it detected the battries only after settings it physically at the inveter
and then it does di charge for few seconds then stopped
View attachment 203459

Now the energy just leaks to the grid

View attachment 203460
Just so i am sure i did the correct thing - i changed both the CanBus Name and Canbus protocol to SMA , though it only mentioned to change the CANbus protocol as per the instructions.

am i right to change both ?

Just so i am sure i did the correct thing - i changed both the CanBus Name and Canbus protocol to SMA , though it only mentioned to change the CANbus protocol as per the instructions.

am i right to change both ?

In the update post, I stated to change both to SMA (if you are using a Solis inverter.
Final note, for any users using this code with a Solis inverter, I recommend setting the CAN protocol and CAN BMS name to 'SMA', then setting the battery name to 'AoBo' on the inverter itself.

On the ESP32 settings, set both to SMA. On your inverter, set the battery name / type to 'AoBo'.

In the update post, I stated to change both to SMA (if you are using a Solis inverter.

On the ESP32 settings, set both to SMA. On your inverter, set the battery name / type to 'AoBo'.
O.k thats what i did..

Anyone else with my brand Solis can confirm this workson SMA?

And does the inverter have an alarm, saying something like 'BatName'?
If it doesn't, that suggests that the CAN connection is working as expected.

The other issue i am having is , flashing the second ESP is failing though the code pass validation
1711041876981.png

1711041942075.png

And does the inverter have an alarm, saying something like 'BatName'?
If it doesn't, that suggests that the CAN connection is working as expected.
yes it did say BatName fialure...then i changed the name to AoBo on the inverter again (though it was already changed over the app b4) and the error cleared

yes it did say BatName fialure...then i changed the name to AoBo on the inverter again (though it was already changed over the app b4) and the error cleared
This code is running on two Solis inverters that I manage with no issues.
I prefer local configuration changes on the inverter itself. Using an app means you're relying on a remote server to pass those changes through correctly, and it doesn't always work as quickly as hoped.

This code is running on two Solis inverters that I manage with no issues.
I prefer local configuration changes on the inverter itself. Using an app means you're relying on a remote server to pass those changes through correctly, and it doesn't always work as quickly as hoped.
It works perfectly on Pylon selection and i already see the improvement, not sure what was coded but i see absolutely no leaks to the grid compared to the previous versions.
but soon as i change it to SMA and change the inverter to AoBo it stops.

Back