diy solar

diy solar

JK BMS heating port

tonyg

Has anyone played with the heating port on a newer JK BMS?

Serious response.....
I'm not sure what this port does.
Control a battery heater?

The heating ports allow you to connect external heating pads to your pack. They can provide the power or optionally use a relay for heavier pads. They are controlled by the BMS temp sensors which can be programmed for thresholds.

TBH these are "beta level" ATM and subject to refinement still.

The new general manual does not cover these yet but the model specific for the H series will.

Keep an eye here for the manuals & other docs

I have 3 "12v motor cycle seat" "heater pads installed on 3 separate battery packs in my RV, all are controlled as a group by the heater port on the 200A JK BMS running one of the 3 battery packs. Before installing the JK into this multi-pack "production" configuration, I previously tested the port (current capability, monitor capability, temp control functions) and found it to work as advertised. The port is limited to a maximum of 3.0A current, JK has also documented a limit of 75 watts for directly connected pads.

The BMS port connector supports a multi-wire jumper connection of very small wires, but the wires are all run in parallel. The JK-provided port connector provides a small ring terminal at the other end of the parallel wires.

The port is an on/off switch into the "-" grounding port of the BMS. In proper wiring, the Relay (or heater pad) is being driven by the BMS port needs a permanent connection to "12v" power (or higher voltage, depedning on your pads and battery configuration). The grounding side of the relay is switched by the BMS heater port. It turns on and off according to the low temp charging "protection" limits of the BMS:
  • When charging is enabled, the port is always disconnected "off".
  • When charging becomes disabled due to BMS measuring a temperature below the low-temp charge cutoff protection value, the port becomes connected "on", and your heater pads should be working.
  • When charging becomes re-enabled due to BMS detecting a temperature which has reached the "low temp" RECOVERY value, the port turns back off. It will stay off until temperature again falls below the lower "CUTOFF" value.
Many people would prefer that it activate at the recovery temperature, rather than wait all the way down to "cutoff" temperature. But that might be a slightly hard change to implement - the current switch is simply an "exclusive OR" against the low temperature cutoff State (charging allowed or not).

In my own configuration, with heater pads totalling more than 75 watts (at nearly double the 'maximum amps' of the circuit), I use the port to connect and disconnect the "12v coil" side of a 4-pin automotive "12v" relay. 12v power into the pads is permanently connected through the switching relay "power" pins, and Pads are permanently connected to 12v frame "ground". This creates the benefit of running the port with only a tiny amount of current (enough to pull in the coil), and provides for higher heating pad power levels. My Relay also provides an easy-to-see indicator light, although the App also shows current through the heater port along with 'temperature' and the state of the charging circuit.

My original test with one heater pad, not using a relay is here: Rick's jk-4s-200a-bms heater port test.

Hello,
I wonder if the red and black wires are there to detect if there is a load, so as not to trigger the heater when it is not needed?
My understanding is that they need to be connected to main positive and negative. From the manual : the black and red cables are linked to the smart charger (after the smart charger links the BMS).
If the BMS detects no load, it will not trigger the heater .
if the BMS detects a load and the temp is below the threshold, the heater is trigger .

I'm right ?

[Edit]
ok, I think I'm wrong ....
Following : https://diysolarforum.com/threads/jk-4s-200a-bms.38623/post-632880
"the red and black should be connected to anything at this time. They may be usable with an un-released "smart charger" product in the future"

I will use a switch to control the activation of the heating function ( between the relay and the BMS)

Last edited:
Back