diy solar

diy solar

Just starting out

daleblack0

I currently I have a house using about 400 kw per month I want a 48 volt system that i can start with a min number of solar panels but will be able to add more for many years to come. I am also looking at moving in a year or so and may not do it till then. I am wanting to know what should i get as far as charge controller and grid tie inverter. that can go to a house using about 800 kw per month with out having to buy new equipment when adding more solar or batt. I want the system to be able to charge and discharge during the day if they fill up and the day is only half over, as well as off set any house power use. most power use will be at night. I want to also have something to where my batt will never discharge more then 50 % making sure i get max life out of the batt.... I want to start off small but with capacity to move bigger.

I would start by planning a 48 volt system, and buy your initial components based on that. I didnt' do that and now I regret it. There are several charge controllers that can handle multiple voltages, so that might be a good place to start. Here is an example, and a brand that Will recommends:

Isn’t that unit for SLA and gel cells? Would it be a good choice for LiFePO4 ??

Lifepo4 battery is the future, just like electric car vs gas car. New battery is so MANY WAYS better than the rest of old tech. The only cons is that it cost more at first and can't be charged below 32 Degree F, but if you do your good research, and buy the best Lifepo4 battery from China, it's even cheaper than the Leads/GEL/AGM...( well ,for best bang for the buck like us DYI ). it's the ONLY way to go !!

Last edited:
Back