diy solar

diy solar

Lapping PV panels to create water shedding roof. Thoughts? Comments?

I’ll be astonished if that doesn’t leak within a few years.

I’ll be astonished if that doesn’t leak within a few years.
Lexel is a great product but it has its place.

In new construction like this roof I wouldn’t use anything that I wouldn’t use below the waterline on a boat. I ‘have’ used lexel or it’s cousin, “goop,” for emergency repairs on boats and roofs (lexel is longer lasting imho) because it is a great product and will adhere to wet surfaces. But I wouldn’t use it for this application.

Polyurethane caulking or it’s more expensive (and excellent) cousin 3M 5200 is the only thing i would use here.

Polyurethane will last better than anything else (besides welding) though I’d still wonder when it will leak.

His trailing drip-edge will also run behind the siding because of its lack of adequate overhang. Just an inch would have worked.

UV is the killer of any sealant. Ideally a "T" shaped aluminum spline set in the gap with Sikaflex would last a very long time.

In my climate I would run the panel out from the lower wall. Water flowing down can sometimes ignore gravity and stick to the surface. I would probably put a lower flashing adhered to the lower edge of the frame to direct it down past the frame and away from the wall.

Back