diy solar

diy solar

laptop charger not charging my lithium battery

gamer

laptop charger not charging my lithium battery
i plug it like this ac to laptop charger to mppt regulator to battery but in the regulator it shows just the voltage and its not giving any power to the regulator

Attachments

• 20230224_124338.jpg
    20230224_124338.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 9
If you are using a MPPT SCC in between that 12v power supply and your battery I am not surprised you get no output to the battery. SCC need a higher voltage to charge with. You can not charge at 14vDC with a 12.6vDC input.

If you are using a MPPT SCC in between that 12v power supply and your battery I am not surprised you get no output to the battery. SCC need a higher voltage to charge with. You can not charge at 14vDC with a 12.6vDC input.
what can i do

what can i do
Since I do not know what your battery specifications are, and why it is that you simply are not using a standard lithium battery charger, it is hard to formulate any response.

Since I do not know what your battery specifications are, and why it is that you simply are not using a standard lithium battery charger, it is hard to formulate any response.
i have 100a li ion 4s battery 14V in cloudy days i get disel generator and from this generator i want to charge the battery and i watch same videos how to charge the battery using laptop charger

I suggest that you ask whoever posted such a video how they made it work. It seems unlikely based on voltage mismatch.

i have 100a li ion 4s battery 14V in cloudy days i get disel generator and from this generator i want to charge the battery and i watch same videos how to charge the battery using laptop charger
If your laptop charger supplies 12V and the standard battery charger voltage for Li ion batteries is near 14V. Or you resign charging the battery with the laptop charger or you buy a DC-DC converter to increase the voltage from 12V to 14V. 12V is a too low voltage for your battery; that is not enough to have current flow from the source to the load (battery).

Actually the second proposal is what I did to build a cheap AC-DC station. I used an old Dell laptop charger that provides 19V and 100W power and attached it this DC-DC converter (with current regulator). I use this station to charge my LiFePo battery.

Now I can use AC to produce any kind of voltage from 0,6 to 36V but at max 80W; perhaps to slow for you to charge your battery.

VERY CAREFULL with the voltage you set the DC-DC converter. If you put the voltage at 15V and the full charge voltage of your battery is 14,2V you can damage the battery and the surroundings of it like burning a house and fireworks.

its very hard for me to get charger in my country but are u sure that the only probleme that i cant charger my battery is because the low voltage of the laptop charger im using because i can buy the dell laptop charger that has 19v

its very hard for me to get charger in my country but are u short that the only probleme that i cant charger my battery is because the low voltage of the laptop charger im using because i can buy the dell laptop charger that has 19v

No no, you did not understand my message. My story makes sense because I reused an old charger. Buying a new one to build what I built makes no sense. Then better buy a Li-ion battery charger.

If your laptop charger supplies 12V and the standard battery charger voltage for Li ion batteries is near 14V. Or you resign charging the battery with the laptop charger or you buy a DC-DC converter to increase the voltage from 12V to 14V. 12V is a too low voltage for your battery; that is not enough to have current flow from the source to the load (battery).

Actually the second proposal is what I did to build a cheap AC-DC station. I used an old Dell laptop charger that provides 19V and 100W power and attached it this DC-DC converter (with current regulator). I use this station to charge my LiFePo battery.

Now I can use AC to produce any kind of voltage from 0,6 to 36V but at max 80W; perhaps to slow for you to charge your battery.

VERY CAREFULL with the voltage you set the DC-DC converter. If you put the voltage at 15V and the full charge voltage of your battery is 14,2V you can damage the battery and the surroundings of it like burning a house and fireworks.
WHY DO I NEED DC TO DC CONVERTER IF I HAVE A MPPT REGULATOR

i want to charge the battery and i watch same videos how to charge the battery using laptop charger
I have used old laptop chargers to charge various batteries but I use a DC to DC converter with a display and set it to the voltage of that particular battery. It is not a plug and play situation and one must be aware of both the Voltage and Amperage requirements of each battery which is being charged. This is very similar to the concept which @Jordi also posted earlier.

Electricity flows from higher voltage to lower voltage. You are trying to charge a 14V battery with only 12V thus there is no flow.
The MPPT can transform a higher voltage into a lower one and optimize PV production, but it can not increase voltage I think.

Electricity flows from higher voltage to lower voltage. You are trying to charge a 14V battery with only 12V thus there is no flow.
The MPPT can transform a higher voltage into a lower one and optimize PV production, but it can not increase voltage I think.
so if i use 19V 150watt DELL CHARGER i still be needing dc to dc or just regulator will work my battery i full charged at 16.8 v I CAN LIMIT THE CHARGER FROM MY REGULATOR

As long as you can limit the charge and completely cut it off when the battery is full, give it a try.

Back