diy solar

diy solar

Last Minute Hurricane Backup Power Prep

dmholmes

So no time to get the products I'd like. Looking for some power for a few hours overnight so I don't have to run the generator for the refrigerator. The refrigerator startup is about 1,100 watts and 130 watts when running. It took about 900 watt hours 9pm-9am last time I checked. Just need 4 hours or so at night, possibly with an interval timer to keep the fridge cozy.

Here's what it looks like I can get in time.

Battery

Charger

Inverter (might be close with the fridge startup draw)

Anything missing? Other suggestions?

That's a spendy battery that will barely get you through the night. You will be hammering it and decreasing its life rapidly, BUT if this is for occasional use, it's fine. You may find that after 20-30 cycles, it can no longer get through the night.

Charger is fine (assuming you'll run the genny to recharge the battery). Seems a little on the spendy side. 25A charge current may be too much. 10A is optimal in absence of specific charge data.

Size the inverter to cover the full surge. Most cheap units don't have a meaningful surge regardless of what the specs say.

Not sure if you need to invest in a pure sine wave.

That's a spendy battery that will barely get you through the night. You will be hammering it and decreasing its life rapidly, BUT if this is for occasional use, it's fine. You may find that after 20-30 cycles, it can no longer get through the night.

Agreed, but I haven't found anything better locally so far.

Charger is fine (assuming you'll run the genny to recharge the battery). Seems a little on the spendy side. 25A charge current may be too much. 10A is optimal in absence of specific charge data.

Size the inverter to cover the full surge. Most cheap units don't have a meaningful surge regardless of what the specs say.

Not sure if you need to invest in a pure sine wave.

This was my next choice of inverter.

I'm looking at sine wave since I may power computers and phone chargers also.

Thanks!

The same charger comes in 8A and 15A. Would the 8A be enough?

15A might be a good compromise - not too much higher than the 10A typical, and it will cut your charge time to 6-8 hrs from about 10.

Do I need to get a voltage/amp meter? Does the smart charger ensure it doesn't overcharge?

Re-thinking the nature of the build, since this is an emergency situation, the 25A might be better... run it at 25A for 2 hr to speed up the initial charge, where the risk is lower, then drop to 10A to top it off.

The charger should handle itself properly, but it's never a bad idea to have a voltmeter on hand to check. Most consumer grade chargers tend to undercharge batteries a little rather than risk damaging them from overcharging.

Re-thinking the nature of the build, since this is an emergency situation, the 25A might be better... run it at 25A for 2 hr to speed up the initial charge, where the risk is lower, then drop to 10A to top it off.

Thank you. Have you seen a better charger option from Amazon? I've looked for a combo inverter/charger but there doesn't seem to be anything decent that isn't very pricey.

The charger should handle itself properly, but it's never a bad idea to have a voltmeter on hand to check. Most consumer grade chargers tend to undercharge batteries a little rather than risk damaging them from overcharging.

Any recommended, or can I go by Amazon reviews?

Inverter/charger are indeed spendy, and they won't be able to charge the battery any more effectively because they need to limit the current to what the battery can handle.

This has been a near real-time conversation, so I feel compelled to let you know that I have to step away for at least a few hours. I think your original configuration with the more robust inverter is good, and any decent multimeter will be fine... even the cheap stuff.

Good luck!

This has been a near real-time conversation, so I feel compelled to let you know that I have to step away for at least a few hours. I think your original configuration with the more robust inverter is good, and any decent multimeter will be fine... even the cheap stuff.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your time!

Back