diy solar

diy solar

Lead Acid vs LiFePO4

Having a serious discussion on another web Forum from a guy stating because I chose LiFePO I and the rest on here are Battery Snobs his words! He said LA is better and cheaper and I was a fool and anyone else who does not see it his way was also the same. Yes I have searched, copied and pasted to no avail.

It is wise not to get into these discussions. Those who know how to take care of lead-acid, engineer their needs properly, and put forth the effort to maintain them properly are just fine.

The problem is that you may not know that you are being trolled to create a reaction. If so, then from what is seen here, "mission accomplished".

Ie, let it go. Don't feed the trolls.

I originally was going to go with 6 volt lead acid batteries. They are rated at 75 amps for 120 minutes. They cost about $110 each. So each battery has 900 watts or .122 per watt. I ended up purchasing 64 LFP Cells (280ah) for around $9500. That figures out to 57344 watts or .166 per watt.

Now you ask the real question would you pay 4 cents more per watt for LFP over Lead Acid?
All comes down to use case. If you buy twice the Lead Acid that you need for daily use then you get emergency ride-through for "free." Likewise, if you are buying a large LFP bank for emergencies the light use might end up detracting from its life.

Personally I want LFPs because I don't want to deal with watering FLAs or replacing 1,000 pounds of SLAs every 3 years.

Back