diy solar

diy solar

Leaking Electrolyte from Bigbattery Powerblock

More that just cosmetic, with crud all over including on electrical connections inside.
Were you able to conclude that this contamination came from outside the box during shipping, not from inside the product?

View attachment 39733
No chance it came from outside. For those who don't know, this is how they are packaged. Battery pack has a plastic bag around it, then put into a cardboard box and taped shut. Then surrounded by about 2 inches of foam on all sides. Then put in a larger box and taped shut and then banded with 2 plastic bands.

With one post .... Mr Green has destroyed any chance of actually having credibility.

Maybe he will come back on here and blame the misinformation on an employee who told him the wrong thing .... or maybe he was thinking about a different pack .... but.... there is NO WAY that pack was operational.

Last edited:
.... and that balance lead to the BMS .... well that will work just fine if you blow off some of the corrosion and the big black burned mark.

I think BB is digging its own grave at this point..
White grease? Really? I better stop using it if it causes corrosion like that.
BTW, Will should pin this thread on YouTube.

Yes Mr Green, Why don't you answer the questions ask by the concerned forum members about this leaking battery of Seth??? Never mind. I am done with BB and Mr Green.

OH god this has become a complete novel, the photos from @SethRR look nasty, i would be very upset if i received that in my house.... and the CEO answers (And their behavior from the beginning) are a textbook example of how not solve a crisis.

Do you think the thousands of cells shipped are kept in an upright position?
Gazoo,

Thank you for your input.

1.) To prevent damage in shipping, we are now including "This Side Up" and "FRAGILE" stickers to every package.
2.) According to the Lishen LiFePO4 Cell Spec. Sheet: The cells can be installed in any position except for upside down.
3.) Our 12V Owl (PowerPacks) just received UL Certification as of Yesterday which will be posted on our website on Monday.

Just a few updates to share..

Eric Lundgren : CEO
BigBattery, Inc.

Yes Mr Green, Why don't you answer the questions ask by the concerned forum members about this leaking battery of Seth??? Never mind. I am done with BB and Mr Green.
DouglasHH,

I will find Seth and gladly respond to him.

Thank you,

BigBattery, Inc.

According to the Lishen LiFePO4 Cell Spec. Sheet: The cells can be installed in any position except for upside down.
In my humble opinion, Lishen may need to revisit that advice. I hope they are already in the loop re your recent issues.

Hello SethRR,

I am sorry that you had a bad experience with your recently received battery from our company.

1.) Per our Warranty, your new replacement battery was already shipped out earlier this week.
2.) Our engineering team is awaiting the return of your battery in question to investigate further what may have caused this problem.
3.) Whatever our findings, I will be posting them here to this forum for everyone.

I am seeing the new pictures that you posted to this forum for the first time of a burnt BMS? These pictures were not shared with our customer service team prior. If it is in fact a leaking cell that caused your issue, you would be the first confirmed case of Will Prowse video's watched by (80,000) people after (15,000+) [NEC/Lishen Battery] Packs were sold. We will soon find out. Our team will update after we have had time to inspect your return.

As per your request for two (2) replacement batteries for your inconvenience, unfortunately that is not how our "Warranty Policy" works. If any business offered a return policy on high-value product like this - they wouldn't be able to stay in business. The best we can do is to offer a new replacement and cover all logistics costs (or) provide you with a free return label and give you a full refund. I believe that you chose to replace the battery. I hope you enjoy your new battery replacement. Have a wonderful weekend.

If I can do anything else to assist you, feel free to eMail me at: Eric@BigBattery.com

Best Reguards,

BigBattery.com
Hi everyone, did not realize this chat was going on here until Will just directed me to it. I figured Noone really cared since there were no comments on my post or update on the YouTube video. Here are the pics. Some more info too, I could smell a terrible smell as soon as I opened the outer carton but was hoping it was just manufacturing odors. Once I opened the inside carton, I knew for sure it wasn't right as the smell was VERY strong. The power button would not light up and the volt meter would not turn off and was reading about 7 volts. In the pics you can see the red and white wires are so corroded that they are no longer attached. Also I am a fairs fair type of guy...the type that on several occasions when two candy bars fall out if a vending machine when I paid for one have returned the free one. I would never take advantage or exploit anyone! I simply asked that since they gave Will 2 free packs, if I could be compensated the same? Why not? I paid for the first pack and had the same issue before even getting to use it.

In my humble opinion, Lishen may need to revisit that advice. I hope they are already in the loop re your recent issues.
Hello Solarbot,

Good Advice, we have actually spoken with Lishen about it and they claim that these new LiFePO4 cells are in fact able to be installed sideways.
Furthermore, After eight (8) months of safety testing, our (12V/Owl) using this Lishen Cell & Design has just been granted UL Certification.

After Will Prowse released his video to 80,000 Viewers and 15,000+ Customers of this product in question, there has been only one (1) unconfirmed case of a leaking battery by SethRR of which is TBD upon receipt and inspection. I know 1/15,000 is still too many and we hope to bring that number down to 0/15,000 in the future. : )

Thank you for your comments!

Best,

BigBattery.com

Why is the information not on your web site or shared with your tech support? It seems that it would be a great selling feature.
Hello DouglasHHI:
It would be a great selling feature, but we are giving them away in units. It's not really meant to be something we profit on - just a 4th added safety feature. - Thank you for your comment. - Eric Lundgren

Per our LiFePO4 Batteries that use this fire extinguisher, we were unable to get them to hit thermal runaway in our tests.
The fire extinguisher is a (4th) safety feature provided for free in all our new lines of LiFePO4 Batteries that we sell. It auto-ignites at a certain temperature and disperses a fire-retardant within the pack. To my knowledge, the only two companies that are offering this added safety feature are ourselves and BYD. BYD China has done tests on the same unit using LFP that you can see online. To date, we have produced 37,000 Battery packs with ZERO thermal runaway issues. I find it fascinating that you have chosen to blast us over a free added safety feature.
I have to agree with you . You make a massive investment of money to try to get a good business going and the one or two problems you are always going to get on something new like LFP get blown out of all proportion . They won't leave it alone . better to just clam up and let it pass . You can't win with this forum so why try.

Forget it move on . They keep pushing thermal runaway but that's the doomsayers . They were out 5 years ago posting pictures of burning boats and aeroplanes and they are still there and here lurking about waiting for an opportunity to strike . Can't help themselves . All batteries and metals burn if you get them hot enough .
LFP ? Best damn thing to happen to DIY energy in 50 years . Stick with it mate.

Hello SethRR,

I am sorry that you had a bad experience with your recently received battery from our company.

1.) Per our Warranty, your new replacement battery was already shipped out earlier this week.
2.) Our engineering team is awaiting the return of your battery in question to investigate further what may have caused this problem.
3.) Whatever our findings, I will be posting them here to this forum for everyone.

I am seeing the new pictures that you posted to this forum for the first time of a burnt BMS? These pictures were not shared with our customer service team prior. If it is in fact a leaking cell that caused your issue, you would be the first confirmed case of Will Prowse video's watched by (80,000) people after (15,000+) [NEC/Lishen Battery] Packs were sold. We will soon find out. Our team will update after we have had time to inspect your return.

As per your request for two (2) replacement batteries for your inconvenience, unfortunately that is not how our "Warranty Policy" works. If any business offered a return policy on high-value product like this - they wouldn't be able to stay in business. The best we can do is to offer a new replacement and cover all logistics costs (or) provide you with a free return label and give you a full refund. I believe that you chose to replace the battery. I hope you enjoy your new battery replacement. Have a wonderful weekend.

If I can do anything else to assist you, feel free to eMail me at: Eric@BigBattery.com

Best Reguards,

BigBattery.com
Actually my replacement didn't get sent out til late Friday, AFTER I started commenting on this thread. I did share the pics of all the outside damage with your customer service. After your customer service and engineer insinuated I caused the damage, I removed the top and took pics of the wire damage. If it's really 1 outta 15,000, shouldn't be a problem to provide some kind of compensation. How many have you GIVEN to Will and other reviewers?

Last edited:
Back