diy solar

diy solar

Leaving a lead acid floating at 14.4.

Bitbin

Hi. I would like to know what happens if i have the absorbtion and float voltages at 14.4. Will it damage the batteries with time? Im asking this as im afraid my 2 230 ah lead acid batteries in series arent charging to 100%. They charge to 29v fairly quickly and then drop to 27.6 floating.

If i were to just leave then at 28.8 or 29v all the time meaning absorb and float will it damage them? Thanks.

To the point bad idea to hold at 14.4. Boiling the electrolyte, with time warping the plates etc. You may need to equalize charge the bank.

Grizz is right.

At that voltage you start to get gassing due to electrolysis, how much depends on temperature as well as voltage.
If they are flooded cells, you will be continuously topping up, if the plates start to get exposed, that is very bad.
If they are sealed gell type cells, they will dry out pretty fast and then be completely stuffed.

Don't do it !!

I had a LA batteries for over 20years.
It's best not to overfill, just make sure plates are just covered.
14.4v is no big deal. Could easily take them to 15 to equalize.
Over time the plates will warp

Depending how old they are can even throw caustic soda down each cell.

It depends on temperature.
At some point the cells begin to gas.
When that happens the cells begin to lose water through electrolysis.
If they are sealed cells, they will very quickly dry out and die.
If flooded cells they can be very regularly topped up, but what is the value in that ?
If you forget and the plates become exposed, that is very bad news.

Use temperature sensor and voltage adjustment/degree according to battery spec sheet.

Back