diy solar

diy solar

LFP for EV's projected to be less than $56 per kWh within 6 months

And we were able to do that at home. Rebuilding bugs put me through college in the early 70s. They really are that simple. It can be done again with modern plug and play modules. In India there is a growing market for basic, simple EVs.
I own a 1969 Convertible, a 1970 hardtop and a 1975 hardtop for parts, plus a Manx buggy. My wife wants me to convert one of them to electric. I have owned the convertible 40 years, drove it through college and was my daily driver for many years. Now the body is sitting in my carport with fresh paint, waiting to be put back together.

Last edited:
I own a 1969 Convertible, a 1970 hardtop and a 1975 hardtop for parts, plus a Manx buggy. My wife wants me to convert one of them to electric.
We convert one for a local restaurant 2 years ago with a Tesla 3 motor + a small Chevy Volt battery.
What a blast to drive such a lightweight vehicle with that power. But the ride quality and road noise are terrible.

VW E-bug Ingenext.JPG

Sorry, just browsed thru the 1st 8 pages of this thread...

We like our EV, actually picking up a 2nd one tomorrow. I think a problem with a lot of US EV purchases is the change in your federal grants for just Domestic made EV's.

I got a 2023 BMW i4M50 back in March 2023, after being on a wait list for 15 months and not getting an allocation, I happened on a new one in Toronto in the same colour that I wanted, and with a lot more options.

Wife is picking up a gently used 2023 Genesis GV60 tomorrow. In the span of less than 12 months we'll have gone from a 2 diesel vehicle couple to a 2 EV couple.

-----

battery prices; I'm within a couple weeks of buying 32 280Ah cells from battery hookup for a 27kWh home Load sharing with/without solar component ; would kinda suck if battery prices dropped a ton in the next few months.

Sorry, just browsed thru the 1st 8 pages of this thread...

We like our EV, actually picking up a 2nd one tomorrow. I think a problem with a lot of US EV purchases is the change in your federal grants for just Domestic made EV's.

I got a 2023 BMW i4M50 back in March 2023, after being on a wait list for 15 months and not getting an allocation, I happened on a new one in Toronto in the same colour that I wanted, and with a lot more options.

Wife is picking up a gently used 2023 Genesis GV60 tomorrow. In the span of less than 12 months we'll have gone from a 2 diesel vehicle couple to a 2 EV couple.

-----

battery prices; I'm within a couple weeks of buying 32 280Ah cells from battery hookup for a 27kWh home Load sharing with/without solar component ; would kinda suck if battery prices dropped a ton in the next few months.
If a product has to rely on large grants/subsidies in order to be viable then there is a problem.

And agriculture. And I’m not saying agriculture shouldn’t. I don’t have enough knowledge on the subject.
But much of our livelihood is subsidized

Governments are hell-bent on EV's so I don't see the supply and demand slowing down that much.
The problem is that the grid can only just produce the electricity we already use in buildings and all other non-EV cases - because of the unreliability of renewables. So if a million more people buy an EV this year, they will need at least 20kWh per day to charge it, and the average UK house uses around 10kWh per day, so where is the extra electricity going to come from? And if ALL vehicles are supposed to be electric, it becomes even more impossible - yet our politicians are too stupid to be able to do the basic maths...

On the battery front. Anyone know why even has both 304s and 280s? Is the 280 designed for a higher discharge rate?
Not sure if there will ever be price disparities between the two but for my solar pea brain doesn’t understand why they have both flavors

Edit: apologies for the drift and apologies to @houseofancients and @silverstone I shall return to my regularly scheduled voltage obsession

I believe they made some changes to the process and chemistry - especially after the 280k debacle.
I guess my bigger curiosity is what led to them making 280s at all? Was it always the chemistry?
Seems the 304s have been around longer and the exterior dimensions the same. Any idea what was changed internally by chance?

I guess my bigger curiosity is what led to them making 280s at all? Was it always the chemistry?
Seems the 304s have been around longer and the exterior dimensions the same. Any idea what was changed internally by chance?
My guess would be ... First they tried something that they could sell being "on the safe side" design-wise.

Maybe they re-ran some tests later and found ways to improve that by sacrificing a bit of lifetime ?

@G00SE 280Ah has been around for longer that the 304Ah ones. 280 goes back to 2017 if I remember correctly. I believe (and this is just my thinking) is that the 304 is the result of a new line at EVE, while the 280 kept being developed in a different line. We also see the 560 now - which is probably spun off from the 280 line.

@G00SE 280Ah has been around for longer that the 304Ah ones. 280 goes back to 2017 if I remember correctly. I believe (and this is just my thinking) is that the 304 is the result of a new line at EVE, while the 280 kept being developed in a different line. We also see the 560 now - which is probably spun off from the 280 line.
Where can you buy the LF560K :love: ?

I guess that's something they kinda keep hidden and OEM-only though ...

Back