diy solar

diy solar

LiFePo4 Battery drops from 22% to 0%

The BMS on my battery charges at 55
Closed loop. Tells the Sol-ark to charge at 55.0v until battery hits 54.5v, and then tells the Sol-ark to drop to 54.0 volts. So, yes it is the BMS controlling the charging.
Unless you are running 15S, your batteries are not getting a full charge.

I was replying to what you actually wrote.
BMS charges....
Not
BMS controls charging

Of course. Why would you blindly trust the BMS to be set correctly? Even though apparently your BMS controls charging, it could have settings incorrectly set.
Also, SOC is NOT a measurement it is a calculated value. You can't use a meter and measure state of charge.
I'm quite certain there is no setting in your solar charge controller that says 100% or charge it to 80%, I'm pretty sure there's a voltage setting in your charge controller. What is that number?
YOU came HERE with a problem.
I am TRYING to help you answer and understand.
You know... DIY Solar Forum.

That literally is what is happening. Once i connected the BMS communication successfully, all the voltage values on the inverter changed to % values and from then the battery controls the charging through the inverter and the inverter only shows %.

I got the values from the interface though: 53.2V is the float and constant charge voltage. This is a LiFePo4 15S pack, meaning 15 cells instead of the usual 16. This is a rack battery, I would like to assume the built in BMS is configured correctly and I don't need to change these values.

Thanks for trying to help. I attached an image of the battery and the relevant part in the inverter's documentation.
DSC_0302.JPG
DSC_0321.JPG

I have had this problem a few times when 3 cells in a EG4 battery pack were out of balance and at a lower voltage than the rest.
The voltage on those cells hit the knees and suddenly dropped off lowering the pack voltage and SOC.
I had to balance the cells back and that fixes the problem.
Apprechiate your help, Charging to 100% atm.

Why would you want to charge 16S Batteries past 54.5V to 55V max?
Many, many tests done by Andy (Off grid garage) show that at 3.4 volts/cell the battery saturating to a full state is inconsistent, even with lengthy absorption times.
3.45 or 3.5 as a constant voltage charge results in a fully saturated battery always. At 3.45 absorption time needed to be a bit longer than at 3.5. I'm currently charging to 56, float 54

Here is a link to one of at least half a dozen videos where he explores a range of charge voltages and absorption times.
See playlists, battery tests.

Back