diy solar

diy solar

LifePO4 Charging Issues

aKO

While i admit im used to Lead batteries and know very little about LifePO4 but Im concerned the aboiut the charging and behavior of my recent first purchase of a 100 amp/Hr 24 volt one .

The battery charges normaly for a few hours getting to around 90% then all of a sudden within a couple of seconds the charge leaps to being 100% and the voltage also jumps from around 27.8 to over 29 and charging ends . Thers seems to be just the one stage with constant current then full , no second stage of constant voltage with decreasing voltage at all . The 20 amp AC charger suddenly goes from 20 amps to 0 amps with no gradual decrease as the manual says it should in the second stage and the consumed Amp/Hrs also dissapear .

After an hour the battery settles down to around 27.5 , another odd thing as 27 volts is shown as fully charged , over the course of the next few days the voltage which i assume includes capasity continues to drop to around the low 26 volts range so i take that to mean my battery then only has a capasity of just over 90% , so much for the claim of verry litle self discharge , my 2 year old AGMs perform better than that .

To be sure I bought both a Victron DC to DC charger and a Redodo 29.2 x 20 amp AC charger and they both show identical charging patterns . I also include two Victron Smart shunts to be sure that the problem is not with that . Another indication is that the DC to DC charger is very hot while charging then suddenly starts to cool down quickl;y , the AC charger cable isalso hot then suddenly does the same so to me that shows the charge has gone from high to nothing .

Any advice or explinations would be very welcome .

Which LiFePO4 battery?
Does it have a smart BMS you can use to monitor the individual cell voltages?

The 20 amp AC charger suddenly goes from 20 amps to 0 amps with no gradual decrease as the manual says it should in the second stage and the consumed Amp/Hrs also dissapear .
This sounds like BMS cutting out, likely due to cell over volt condition.

What is LiFePO4 Voltage Chart
Percentage (SOC)1 Cell24V
100% Charging3.6529.2
100% Rest3.4027.2
90%3.3526.8
80%3.3226.6

Do you have any load attached when you are checking your numbers?

Back