diy solar

diy solar

LiFePO4 with Bluetooth expectations

nhn2a

Ive been watching a lot of reviews videos on different lifepo4 batteries and wanted to see if my expectations are correct or not. For batteries with Bluetooth, I see a lot of complaints about parameters being incorrect especially when it relates to low temp protection on lower cost batteries. Is it safe to assume that if you have Bluetooth access to the BMS, that you can update those parameters? I understand most people want plug and play but for some of these lower cost batteries if you can update the parameters I would think they would still be a pretty good deal. Thoughts?

For sure, most of the "smart" batteries will have a method of editing the settings .... I can't say all are .... best to research the specific one you are considering or post and ask questions.

I see a lot of complaints about parameters being incorrect especially when it relates to low temp protection on lower cost batteries.
Incorrectly configured parameter isn't causing those BMSes to fail to cutoff charging at low temp, it is lack of a temp sensor and corresponding feature entirely. It's different.

Don't count on being able to adjust everything. And lot of different batteries use different BMS and the bluetooth apps mostly only read them. Critical settings are usually locked away behind a password. A battery manufacturer may not be keen on supplying the password to you.

Bluetooth access to the BMS, that you can update those parameters?
Yes it's possible, even if a password is needed and alternative app won't need a PW, or the PW can be found with an Internet search.
For example a common used Bluetooth BMS from JBD can be accessed via the Overkill app. Being able to change perameters, whilst useful, should be approached with care, usually the default values are OK.

Back