diy solar

diy solar

Lights Flickering

You could try a plug in line filter although without knowing the frequency that needs to be filtered its kind of shot in the dark.

This device is designed to filter out noise in the 120khz range which is the where the insteon devices transmit PLM on the wires. That said, its a simple broad spectrum passive filter not a notch filter so there is a good chance it would help.

One solution is to fix the light. Some LEDs are better designed than others, and the cheapest will be the most prone to flicker.

I understand that is not always easy with LEDs built into fixtures nowadays, and there is a general desire to say if they don't flicker on grid then the problem is the inverter, but some LEDs are just so bad that it's their own fault they're so sensitive.

One solution is to fix the light. Some LEDs are better designed than others, and the cheapest will be the most prone to flicker.

I understand that is not always easy with LEDs built into fixtures nowadays, and there is a general desire to say if they don't flicker on grid then the problem is the inverter, but some LEDs are just so bad that it's their own fault they're so sensitive.
Costco recalled Feit brand led for flickering on grid power. Few years ago.

I doubt HF filtering would do any good. Since it is the fridge that does it, the control loop of inverter is probably having trouble with the power factor of the refrigerator motor at low power levels. If it were me, I would place a motor run capacitor across the power leads of the motor 4 - 10uF to see if that corrects it. Spend a little more to get Phillips LED. I have a LED at home on the gris in my hallway which is always on. Across the light switch I have something like a ,05uF capacitor across the switch. When the switch is off, the capacitor feeds just enough current to make a 50 milliwatt night light. It is a really cheap LED and that filckers like crazy on the grid. A string of LED is like a high voltage zener. Any slight change in voltage is magnified by a big change in current. I have many E26 lamps that work fine on high voltage DC. That is the way to get rid of flicker.

Is it viable to add a smaller dedicated inverter for the lighting circuit?

My lights and fans run from a 12v/2000w inverter, everything else from a 48v/6000w inverter.

I also wonder if I may have a defective refrigerator, I monitor the current draw every 2 seconds
every now and then I'll see current spikes as must as 80 amps, only lasts for milliseconds. I can
tell when it's doing some defrosting stuff because the compressor stays on for a half hour so that
doesn't seem to explain the spikes, I'm thinking it some type of inrush current.

right now it's only happening every few days, if it starts to happen more often I'll try a new refrigerator

the blue graph is the current draw of the inverter.

IMG_4670.JPG

Yes, it does place a load. But not if placed on the motor side. Capacitors have leading current and motors have lagging. Done right they cancel each other out and correct the power factor.

You could try a plug in line filter although without knowing the frequency that needs to be filtered its kind of shot in the dark.

This device is designed to filter out noise in the 120khz range which is the where the insteon devices transmit PLM on the wires. That said, its a simple broad spectrum passive filter not a notch filter so there is a good chance it would help.
Thank you!

diy solar

diy solar
Back