diy solar

diy solar

Limited Space for Panels-recommendations needed.

kpreuss77

In order to bypass permitting, I am creating an off-grid system that is detached from my house, but it still needs to be done right.

First my needs: To cover various appliances 100% of the time and never worry about power outages. 4.1kWh/daily. + EG4 overhad(assuming inverter 1.2kWh/daily)
= 5.3kWh/daily

I have been sold on the idea on the new 48v EG4 6.5kW All in one inverter because it is UL certified by TUV. ? Thanks Will P.

I am looking for smaller highly efficient panels that fit on a space of 60"x84" atop my gazebo. I also have about 15 linear feet next to my house I can use. Probably should try to keep the area next to the house to a maximum 36" deep. so... 15'x3' max

Again, my goal is to reach the 5kW/daily total at latitude 42° in Michigan year round. If i need a higher quality panel thats ok. if I need to over panel thats ok too. I wont complain about making 8-10kW/daily on some days. ?

I have been putting off this project since I just moved and am worried about economy and job. But Im starting small, I think, and need to do something.

I had a few companies quote whole home solar, the $32k-$62k after Govt rebates is a bit too rich for me. I would like my first chunk to remain under $5K. BTW, I already have the batteries, (4) 12v 280ah already ready for 4s. So I need the $1300invertor + 200 tax sh. Misc code compliant conduit, fuses, wiring, and misc for another $300.

I figure I have a max of about $3k to spending on panels and shipping that work with the EG4.

I was thinking about (6) 200w BougeRV panels from Amazon because the size is right. Dont know.

BougeRV 400 Watts Solar Panel, 9BB Cell 22.8% High-Efficiency Class A Module Monocrystalline Technology Work with 12/24 Volts Charger for RV Camping Home Boat Marine Off-Grid(200W * 2) https://a.co/d/6FdG0aT

Please help.

Kevin

Do you really need 5.3kWh/day even in the winter? You'd be lucky to get 2 hours of solar in the winter on a sunny day. That means you need to produce about 2600W of solar during those two hours. Given the low sun angle you might need 6kW of panels to get the needed output in the winter. You're not going to get 6kW of panels in the space you mentioned. Not even close.

Your proposed 1200W of solar panels will barely cover your 5.3kWh/day needs in the summer on sunny days.

I live at around 45 degrees. On the worst days I get 0.5-1 sun hours. On the best days I can get around 6.75. 7-8 sun hours would be possible with no shading throughout the day.

Ok. Lets start with I cannot change the Gazebo size. It is a 16x12 gazebo and the size I can play on the roof with is 60" tall by 72" wide before I start to overhang the roof angles or the bottom edge. I am fine with that by 5-6" on the sides and bottom making it 65"x 84" max. I can adjust the useable area next to the house as well but keep in mind that those panels will also be on an angle and a wood/metal structure that I will build over my garden. This is why I do not want it to be too big because I will lose sunlight for my vegetables.

Next, How can I achieve the daily minimum 5.3kWh (average) to power my freezers and fridges and the inverter? Another option-could I mix and match panels in series or this a bad idea-I thought this was a no-no? But I just saw a video of guy who did this.

1 brand on the gazebo
another over the garden

2 sets of Amazon solar panels = 1800w. 4 solar hours = 7.2kWh
75% of rated output because Renogy probably lied = 5.4kWh

Whatever I do, It has to be fully detached from the house or I need permits. I plan on going whole home in the future just not right now. So the roof is out.

I plan on the EG4 6500ex 48v all in one just for those days that I do not have full sun it can still charge the batteries from the grid or god forbid the gas generator.

Kevin

Back