diy solar

diy solar

Limiting the SOC on my MacBook to extend battery life

hummmingbear

Knowing what I know about Lithium I started looking for a tool that would let me limit the SOC of my macbook battery. The newer MacOS's will even do this to an extent by learning when you use and charge your battery, but didn't give me as much control as I wanted.

I found this application while googling and have since used it to keep my Macbook at 90% SOC for some months now. There were a few occasions before I had a flight that I changed it to 100%, but other than that I've just left it to hold at 90% when charging. One glitch I don't understand is 85% in the app is 90% on my mac. YMMV.

Thought others might be interested!

The Mac operating system has this built in as an option these days in the settings menu. Heck, even my Android phone now has that option available, so check settings options before going to a third party app.

Yes, I'm familiar. I briefly mentioned it in my post above. On Android it's called Adaptive Charging and in macOS it's Optimized Battery Charging.

The option only limits the state of charge during certain times while charging, but it eventually will charge the battery up to 100%. So no, it's not the same. Most basic users want 100% charge, this allows you to hold it was your desired SOC %.

Last edited:
Knowing what I know about Lithium I started looking for a tool that would let me limit the SOC of my macbook battery. The newer MacOS's will even do this to an extent by learning when you use and charge your battery, but didn't give me as much control as I wanted.

I found this application while googling and have since used it to keep my Macbook at 90% SOC for some months now. There were a few occasions before I had a flight that I changed it to 100%, but other than that I've just left it to hold at 90% when charging. One glitch I don't understand is 85% in the app is 90% on my mac. YMMV.

Thought others might be interested! In fact, many people say that it is dangerous. But it seems to me more dangerous if you don’t take care of the battery. Then your Mac will run out faster and faster every month. This is the most unpleasant thing that can happen. All my friends have different ways of maintaining their battery. I also read an interesting guide about macbook battery, used https://setapp.com/how-to/how-to-fix-macbook-battery-draining-fast for that. Keep in mind that the balance between maximum battery life and battery life can be difficult. You may need to experiment a little with this.
Interesting, I didn't think about that at all. If it actually extends battery life, then that's a win!

Last edited:
Back