diy solar

diy solar

lithium ion discharge %

Logan 979

Hello, Recently a BattleBorn tech helped me program a Victron controller and we set the batteries (2 BB 100AH) alarm @ 20 percent 80% discharge not 100%. Evidently if you discharge a lithium ion to 100% there is a whole process to go through to recharge them which I was unaware of. Another tech @ a Victron distributor said the Victron 12/25 smart charger & the Victron smart controller will charge a depleted Lithium ion back to charge without additional equipment & disconnecting batteries. Which would imply different discharge parameters/settings. I feel like it is somewhat of a marketing scheme to state 100% discharge as a selling point. I would really enjoy hearing opinions & clarification on this subject.

You shouldn’t do really deep discharges on any battery (LiFePO4, AGM, etc…) and companies have always used the lowest recoverable battery voltage to market their battery capacity.

Who is stating 100% discharge as a selling point?

Is 100% discharge flat dead (0 volts) or is it at the point when you've gotten the rated capacity? In my case, I get my 100% capacity before reaching the 10V level on the battery. I'm charging again well before I've gotten to 20% SOC.

Battle Born for sure. It's all good. I was just kinda blind sided to learn this. I have yet to determine if the batteries are totally discharged if the Victron 12/25 blue smart & the smart controller will recharge without disconnecting & using an auto charger or other device to recharge. I do not want to keep the charger plugged in all the time, which leaves the possibility of a total discharge if unattended for some reason not around to plug the charger in. The alarm is set on the Victron battery monitor but the controller is set to full charge by the panels. Hope this makes sense. Explanation of my thought process is not my forte.

Is 100% discharge flat dead (0 volts) or is it at the point when you've gotten the rated capacity? In my case, I get my 100% capacity before reaching the 10V level on the battery. I'm charging again well before I've gotten to 20% SOC.
12.5V 14% is BB lowest recommendation, BB tech recommended 12.9 20% for lead time or cushion.

Battery internal BMS will limit over-discharge by disconnecting battery. Some inverter/chargers will not start charging unless there is valid battery voltage range so they will not begin charging when BMS has tripped low cell cutout.

In this situation you have to use an external supply to charge battery up enough to reset BMS to active again. Then inverter/charger will recognize a legit battery and start charging.

Battery internal BMS will limit over-discharge by disconnecting battery. Some inverter/chargers will not start charging unless there is valid battery voltage range so they will not begin charging when BMS has tripped low cell cutout.

In this situation you have to use an external supply to charge battery up enough to reset BMS to active again. Then inverter/charger will recognize a legit battery and start charging.
Some inverter/chargers will not start charging. Maybe Victron is different ?

Most inverter/chargers and even charger-only will check battery voltage before attempting to charge.

Think about it. Do you really want to have inverter or charger connected to AC input to have voltage on its battery lines without a battery connected?

Most inverter/chargers require inverter to be running from battery supplied current in order to use the inverter to charge battery. That means battery must be able to supply the inverter idle power first, before it can begin charging. If inverter has tripped low battery voltage shutdown, it won't even try to power up inverter.

Last edited:
Some inverter/chargers will not start charging. Maybe Victron is different ?
Where are you looking for and obtaining your information?

>>
The SmartSolar charge controller will even recharge a severely depleted battery. It can operate with a battery voltage as low as 0 Volts, provided the cells are not permanently sulphated or otherwise damaged.
>>

Victron chargers will charge flat lithium batteries

But only if they can access them

The battleborn batteries have a battery management system (BMS) that completely disconnects the battery on low voltage to protect it from long term damage.

This disconnect is what the battle born tech is trying to help you avoid, this is what needs a special restart procedure

On BMS low voltage disconnect no charger can charge the battery because it’s errrr disconnected ??

Back