diy solar

diy solar

Longwei PS diode caputs, can i bypass?

TimC

WI/UP Border
Not paying attention when wiring for balancing. POS and NEG wires backwards and the diode went pop.

I'd really like to "fix" this and not wait a week to get a new PS. Can I bypass the diode to finish top balancing?

OK to tell me this is stupid!

Are you talking about the reverse polarity crowbar protection diode connected to the output terminals of the power supply?
if it is then do not bypass the diode, bypassing means you put jumper wire in place of the diode, just cut out the bad diode and use the power supply, you will just do not have protection against reverse polarity any more.

Not sure. Here's a photo of the diode, or what's left of it. The ceramic body shattered and was rattling around inside the case.

20220719_211104.jpg

Anyway. I thought it was damaged as it didn't seem to want to adjust voltage. When I just tried again it would set at 3.6v so I hooked up the batteries (correctly this time) and away it goes at full 10 amps.

Thanks for the help. I'll check it a couple times before I turn in and might let it charge overnight.

That diode is being use as crowbar, you can still using the power supply without that diode in place.

Thanks Bud. I'll try to slow down and not screw up again.

Back