diy solar

diy solar

Looking for 36v system options, maybe 72v?

dokmartin

I'm running a 12S lipo system in my vehicle through a tripplite ups with a makeskyblue and am looking to move over to a new configuration with higher VA. I figured I'd check out what was available for an all-in-one but after browsing the manuals for the ones folks seem to use here I haven't found one that fits a 36v battery. Neither the 24 or 48v systems are adjustable enough to fit this range. (34vish - 45vish)

I'd be willing to reconfigure everything for a 72v system if that opened a really tempting option but would def be a pita. Not as much of a PITA as reconfiguring the battery packs themselves into 48v, which i would really rather avoid.

Anyone have leads on all-in-one units that are either 36v or programmable to fit that range? I know it's a touch off-topic for the forum but I'd be interested in viable inverter stand-alones as well.

I've seen a few 36v to 110v inverters on Amazon, and the Victron chargers appear capable of going up to 34.78.

Which batteries do you have? We may be in very similar boats.

I'm on A123 26650 M1A cells in 12S configuration.

I've been using 34v as my low cutoff and 45.4v as my high cutoff.

Are you unhappy with the makebluesky brand or is the model you have inadequate?

I'm running a 12S lipo system in my vehicle through a tripplite ups with a makeskyblue and am looking to move over to a new configuration with higher VA. I figured I'd check out what was available for an all-in-one but after browsing the manuals for the ones folks seem to use here I haven't found one that fits a 36v battery. Neither the 24 or 48v systems are adjustable enough to fit this range. (34vish - 45vish)

I'd be willing to reconfigure everything for a 72v system if that opened a really tempting option but would def be a pita. Not as much of a PITA as reconfiguring the battery packs themselves into 48v, which i would really rather avoid.

Anyone have leads on all-in-one units that are either 36v or programmable to fit that range? I know it's a touch off-topic for the forum but I'd be interested in viable inverter stand-alones as well.

Hi. Are you happy with the makeskyblue brand? which one do you have? THX

You know, other than the autodetect being the only way to set configuration (it's easy to powercycle it and have it configure for 48v on a 36v system if the pack is charged, yikes) I'm pretty happy with the thing. I tried to make a serial connection to what seemed to be a 2wire serial bus off of it but failed to find anything useful, which is a shame and I'd like to get some logging going on without throwing a bunch of shunts at it. Theres a new revision out that looks like it probably uses modbus to a commodity bluetooth module, but i don't have it. I'm on v117 @ 40A, I think.

My biggest shortcoming is my inverter. I have two tripplite smart1500's but I have an appliance that I need to use occasionally that overwhelms them individually. I'd also like to get away from the intense idle draw they have, I really feel it.

I'd be happy to move to an all in one unit as long as I felt I could get data out of it, and these MPP units seem about right. Unfortunately 36v is intensely uncommon apparently.

Last edited:
You know, other than the autodetect being the only way to set configuration (it's easy to powercycle it and have it configure for 48v on a 36v system if the pack is charged, yikes) I'm pretty happy with the thing. I tried to make a serial connection to what seemed to be a 2wire serial bus off of it but failed to find anything useful, which is a shame and I'd like to get some logging going on without throwing a bunch of shunts at it. Theres a new revision out that looks like it probably uses modbus to a commodity bluetooth module, but i don't have it. I'm on v117 @ 40A, I think.

My biggest shortcoming is my inverter. I have two tripplite smart1500's but I have an appliance that I need to use occasionally that overwhelms them individually. I'd also like to get away from the intense idle draw they have, I really feel it.

I'd be happy to move to an all in one unit as long as I felt I could get data out of it, and these MPP units seem about right. Unfortunately 36v is intensely uncommon apparently.

WOW - yeah - I was thinking that you had wrote 36V accidentally -- but see you didn't .. how did you come up with that configuration ???

A combination of access to 36v modules, incorporating 36v drive systems in a few small electric vehicles, and the physical space available for the modules; this is a vehicle mounted system fwiw.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd have chosen 48v but alas.

I can imagine a world in which I rework my packs but it seems like an awfully big step to get a 2400+VA pure sine replacement for a 1500VAx2.

Hilariously I've started playing with feeding 150vdc into some supportive Meanwell power supplies and it will be silly beyond belief if I end up running the 36v packs at 5s to produce a 180vdc rail to then hang a 48v inverter on. lol, SURELY not.

A combination of access to 36v modules, incorporating 36v drive systems in a few small electric vehicles, and the physical space available for the modules; this is a vehicle mounted system fwiw.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd have chosen 48v but alas.

I can imagine a world in which I rework my packs but it seems like an awfully big step to get a 2400+VA pure sine replacement for a 1500VAx2.

Hilariously I've started playing with feeding 150vdc into some supportive Meanwell power supplies and it will be silly beyond belief if I end up running the 36v packs at 5s to produce a 180vdc rail to then hang a 48v inverter on. lol, SURELY not.

LOL -- as you say -- SURELY NOT .. but if you do -- take pics ...

I'm considering a last ditch attempt to save my current hardware, lol

From how I understand it the only reason I can't serialize the 120v outputs from the UPSes could be overcome by plugging one UPS into the other, which would then maintain a reference and give stable 240v. In this way I could get the 3000VA output i need. The danger would be that you wouldn't want the slave UPS to ever EVER actually try driving off it's AC connection. I'm not sure how I'd safeguard that, maybe by finding the voltage sense line for a voltage overage or underage cutout and adjusting it to be forevertripped.

idk if i'm fishing up a dead end tho ofc

I ended up deciding on reworking my entire pack for 48v and dumping my 36v equipment for an upgrade. I made a Show and Tell post where i'll log what i end up doing.

lol 36v is a curse

Back