diy solar

diy solar

Looking for a Clamp-on DC (and AC) meter

Thanks for the input everyone. Just an update, I first tried a GVDA GD166B meter. It had good reviews and seem to have the feature mix I needed. Unfortunately it was defective out of the box, Would not measure volts or Hz via the clamp on meter. So I guess I am going to find out how AliExpress is on returns.

Just ordered a Kaiweets HT208D. It seem to be a toss up between it and the UNI-T UT210E Either would have worked but the Kaiweets had delivery that was weeks faster. So I guess I will see if it ends up working better in a few days when it shows.

And on this topic, I have what is probably a dumb question: what does the "counts" in these meter descriptions mean? I was guessing perhaps the number of samples it is averaging, but thought I would ask.

On Edit:

OK. Comments here are right (and GVDA said the same), clamp only measures current. I would have thought they could measure Hz and AC volts, but looks like no. User error, on that being a defect. So I have to take back what I said about the GD166B being defective. Still have some more initial testing to do, but in light of this I now would have to say the GD166B seems to be working pretty well. Will let folks know if I find any other issues with it, but for now seems to be a decent quality meter. And should meet my immediate needs, checking current output on PV panels without disconnecting the wiring.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input everyone. Just an update, I first tried a GVDA GD166B meter. It had good reviews and seem to have the feature mix I needed. Unfortunately it was defective out of the box, Would not measure volts or Hz via the clamp on meter.

Google "RTFM"

It would have been possible to measure Hz, but not volts.

And on this topic, I have what is probably a dumb question: what does the "counts" in these meter descriptions mean? I was guessing perhaps the number of samples it is averaging, but thought I would ask.

"Counts" means least significant digit increments, 1.001, 1.002, 1.003 volts, etc.
Absolute accuracy usually given as % of reading plus number of counts.

They tend to quote 3 to 6 counts, which makes them seem relatively inaccurate, but useful for relative measurements.

DC amps I find often needs to be re-zeroed, AC doesn't.

We typically use an Amprobe 320 for continuous and inrush current readings plus a lower-end Fluke for voltage readings.

However, if you're looking for a huge bang-for-the-buck, it's really hard to beat this BSIDE Clamp-On Ammeter currently on sale for $37 (reg $46). It's a true RMS, 6000 count, VM, clamp-on AD/DC ammeter, capacitance, temp, diode, ohms/R . . . plus, get this . . . it also does *both* AC and DC inrush current! We always throw this in our RV toolbag when we hit the road. As for accuracy, we've found it to be just as accurate as any other sub-$100 meter we've used.

Last edited:
I don't think you can measure volts or hertz via the clamp on any clamp meter (clamps only measure amps, it's in the name :p)
Actually Fluke makes the T6-1000 (sound like a version of “Terminator”?). It will measure AC amps AC VOLTS and hertz non contact between forked fingers, not really a clamp. It can’t read DC non contact.

Well, it's been another week or so, and wanted to update my experience with this GVDA GD166B meter and purchasing thru AliExpress.

After trying to use this meter in actual field conditions, I would have to caution folks against buying it. The meter does sort of work, sometimes, maybe. However it is very intermittent, sometimes works correctly, others times just reads zero or some impossible value. This has happened on DC Amp measurements and various min/max functions. It also has issues with shutting itself off at random times, often while in the middle of taking readings.

In short, maybe a nice idea, but very poorly executed. Not a reliable tool. There are other similar meters out there, so no need to go with this brand.

The bigger lesson in this for me was dealing with AliExpress (who I purchased the meter through) when a problem arose. Their online, automated problem resolution system was a disaster. Might be OK for a pair of shoes or the like, but for electronics, where the problem is more detailed they cannot seem to capture the issue. The seller was unwilling to talk with me, so I contacted AliExpress customer service, they were equally useless. Never addressed my issues, just closed my claim.

In a way, perhaps a good thing. I had been considering buying some inverters thru AliExpress. But after this experience with their total lack of customer service when issues happen, I would not buy anything from them EVER again, certainly not something as costly and complicated as an inverter. Perhaps I have just been spoiled by Amazon and Ebay customer support, but AliExpress and GVDA seem to be take your money and run.

Live and learn. Hope my experiences here help some folks.

Well, it's been another week or so, and wanted to update my experience with this GVDA GD166B meter and purchasing thru AliExpress.

After trying to use this meter in actual field conditions, I would have to caution folks against buying it. The meter does sort of work, sometimes, maybe. However it is very intermittent, sometimes works correctly, others times just reads zero or some impossible value. This has happened on DC Amp measurements and various min/max functions. It also has issues with shutting itself off at random times, often while in the middle of taking readings.

In short, maybe a nice idea, but very poorly executed. Not a reliable tool. There are other similar meters out there, so no need to go with this brand.

The bigger lesson in this for me was dealing with AliExpress (who I purchased the meter through) when a problem arose. Their online, automated problem resolution system was a disaster. Might be OK for a pair of shoes or the like, but for electronics, where the problem is more detailed they cannot seem to capture the issue. The seller was unwilling to talk with me, so I contacted AliExpress customer service, they were equally useless. Never addressed my issues, just closed my claim.

In a way, perhaps a good thing. I had been considering buying some inverters thru AliExpress. But after this experience with their total lack of customer service when issues happen, I would not buy anything from them EVER again, certainly not something as costly and complicated as an inverter. Perhaps I have just been spoiled by Amazon and Ebay customer support, but AliExpress and GVDA seem to be take your money and run.

Live and learn. Hope my experiences here help some folks.
You got lucky, they only winged ya this time…it appears you learned from It. ?. Many don’t.

A company will never get my money ( more than once) if the don’t show respect and courtesy before and AFTER they have my money… ….that includes prompt, timely and professional customer service…also having someone available that speaks the language of where they ship product…
Price is always secondary to these concepts.

imho…J.

One thing that most people don't need or look for in a clamp meter is the resolution. Many times I need to find a small leakage current(or phantom load) and need really good resolution. The UT211B will get down to .1ma and that ain't bad for a clamp meter.

Klein CL800 Is the one I use.
Works great.
No Inrush but max min.

That would have interested me, didn't know about it.

The Harbor Freight meter has 1000A scale and inrush, which are also useful.

I wonder how stable the 1mA zeroing is? We have 30A clamp scope probes at work, 100's of MHz for AC plus DC. The noise floor is 1 mA (which of course can be averaged), but it drifts every time I put current through it.

The stability is not good. You put the meter on the 6000ma dc scale and press the zero button to zero the reading. You have a few seconds do get your reading before it drifts. But for what I do it works good enough. The readings are repeatable as long as you take your reading right after you zero it.

Most folks need at least a 40A and 400A scale.

Also having a UT210C with its 2A scale is good for measuring lower current more accurately but it is limited to 100A max scale.

Accurate surge current is inconsistent across various models. They usually need about a half second burst of surge current. Less time for surge burst results in meter reading low on reported surge current. Too long a surge current burst window can average in lower current after actual burst also lowering reported surge current.

Last edited:
We typically use an Amprobe 320 for continuous and inrush current readings plus a lower-end Fluke for voltage readings.

However, if you're looking for a huge bang-for-the-buck, it's really hard to beat this BSIDE Clamp-On Ammeter currently on sale for $37 (reg $46). It's a true RMS, 6000 count, VM, clamp-on AD/DC ammeter, capacitance, temp, diode, ohms/R . . . plus, get this . . . it also does *both* AC and DC inrush current! We always throw this in our RV toolbag when we hit the road. As for accuracy, we've found it to be just as accurate as any other sub-$100 meter we've used.
I was just reading this and got excited, but when I went to Amazon and looked at the BSIDE meter Amazon has the dreaded "frequently returned item" tag. Most of the negative reviews call out inaccuracy. There also was some complaints that the in-rush is not really in-rush but rather the "max" that some others have (like my Klein CL800), which can give a fairly good guess. However, as @RCinFLA pointed out if the max is averaged over the wrong time period the max will be significantly lower than the actual in-rush current.

Many times I need to find a small leakage current(or phantom load) and need really good resolution. The UT211B will get down to .1ma and that ain't bad for a clamp meter.
For this I much prefer using a better clamp CT. I have some 400/40/4A and 20/2/0.2A CTs with a scaling switch built in. They have a 0-5VAC output though, so doing math in my head is necessary.

I was just reading this and got excited, but when I went to Amazon and looked at the BSIDE meter Amazon has the dreaded "frequently returned item" tag. Most of the negative reviews call out inaccuracy. There also was some complaints that the in-rush is not really in-rush but rather the "max" that some others have (like my Klein CL800), which can give a fairly good guess. However, as @RCinFLA pointed out if the max is averaged over the wrong time period the max will be significantly lower than the actual in-rush current.
Not sure if you noticed, but the reviews for 6 completely different meters are all lumped together . The reviews for the Bside ZT-QS9 are titled Upgraded 600A DC/AC.

Regardless, it's your choice to make. I ordered one, use it all the time. Zero risk purchase---I had 30 days to check it out. Saves wear and tear on my Amprobe and Fluke. Best $37 I've spent in a while. Works great for me.

Last edited:
Not sure if you noticed, but the reviews for 6 completely different meters are all lumped together . The reviews for the Bside ZT-QS9 are titled Upgraded 600A DC/AC.
The "Frequently returned item" tag was specifically on the Upgraded 600A DC/AC. That tag is not on any of the other models. But if you are happy with it, I guess that means you didn't return it! ?

I do kinda hate the way that Amazon blends reviews for multiple versions in the listing. However, the very first 1-star review that I looked at was on the "Upgraded 600A DC/AC" model, and it specifically said that the meter didn't measure inrush.

You are right though: People should buy what they want, but they should also be wary and do the research so they can avoid buyer's remorse.

Back