diy solar

diy solar

Looking for a Clamp-on DC (and AC) meter

You are right though: People should buy what they want, but they should also be wary and do the research so they can avoid buyer's remorse.
When you're spending just $37 on something that has a no-question, 30 day return policy, what's there to be wary of? No buyer's remorse here--lol! Just a smile! Good luck with your search!

Last edited:
I have a Klein Tools CL800. A bit spendy, but I'm very happy with it.

I have found that ones that can do DC are just plain more expensive. AC clamp ammeters can get really cheap.

My only regret is that I didn't get something that can measure surge or "INRUSH" current as it's usually referenced on a INRUSH capable ammeter.

No idea if this one is any good:

But it shows me a checkbox for another 20% off, and it does DC current. No INRUSH. Lotsa ratings. Did not check if they were legit.
The CL900 will do DC current using the clamp and doesn't cost very much more...

I think you maybe be misunderstanding what @sunshine_eggo was saying. The CL800 does DC current as well. He was just explaining that the CL800 is a little more expensive in part because it does DC current. (I also have a CL800)
Ah yes that’s right. I think as you go up the Klein clamp meter lineup the CL800 is the first one that will do DC current using the clamp.

Just reading this thread, looking for a deal during the fake-sales weekend and was wondering if Klein tools is a better brand than Ames. I see Klein Tools at Lowes, Ames at Harbor Freight, trying to pick one up today as I'm tired of the inaccurate readings I'm getting with my current multimeter.

$99 vs $115

I'm pretty sure Klein is better quality than Ames.
In fact, FilterGuy bought Ames on my recommendation, and got flaky readings. He had to touch up solder on the banana jacks.

Both have 10 mA resolution. I bought Ames in part because most other meters had 100 mA resolution.

Does Klein do Inrush? I can't find that in the instructions. Ames does. Good for testing motor starting surge.

I'm pretty sure Klein is better quality than Ames.
In fact, FilterGuy bought Ames on my recommendation, and got flaky readings. He had to touch up solder on the banana jacks.

Both have 10 mA resolution. I bought Ames in part because most other meters had 100 mA resolution.

Does Klein do Inrush? I can't find that in the instructions. Ames does. Good for testing motor starting surge.

The Klein CL800 does not do inrush, but the CL900 does - https://www.amazon.com/Resistance-C...r&qid=1701017054&sprefix=cl900,aps,149&sr=8-1

Just reading this thread, looking for a deal during the fake-sales weekend and was wondering if Klein tools is a better brand than Ames. I see Klein Tools at Lowes, Ames at Harbor Freight, trying to pick one up today as I'm tired of the inaccurate readings I'm getting with my current multimeter.

$99 vs $115
I actually have both of those meters (and A Fluke 175 which I trust more but with no clamp for current). I think they are not far apart, but I trust the Klein a bit more. I'm pretty sure neither has a true inrush feature, but they both have a "max". The max measurement can vary quite a bit because it is dependent on when it samples relative to when the actual inrush happens. I've used the Klein with a half dozen or more measurements of inrush on a well pump, and got something pretty close to what I would expect the inrush to be.

Can you clarify?
Do you mean it showed "-" when it shouldn't have, or didn't show "-" when it should have?
When polarity is in question, swap probe connections to DUT and confirm polarity display reverses.
Check probe connections to meter; many of us have fooled ourselves that way.

I got and recommend that Ames meter (even though I favor top brands like Fluke.)

How do you think it would have caused a fire?

Back