diy solar

diy solar

Looking for advice on cell purchase

Brett Jepp

Im looking to build two 12v x 400 AH banks. One for a tiny house and one for a Yurt.
Thinking about using 100 ah cells to make the systems easily expandable if I need another 100 or 200 ah of power down the road.

Most of our electronics are run on 12v and our inverter usage is limited. I run a generator for any big loads and those are pretty much limited to power tools or back up battery charging.

Each bank will have 6-800 watts of solar with a Victron 100/50 charge controller and BmvBattery monitor with temp sensors. Both banks will be inside in climate controlled environments.
I’ve been running this setup with 460ah of flooded lead acid batteries in each system and the voltage drop with even 20-25 percent DOD is too much for some of my electronics. This only happens after a few days of snowy weather, but I hope that changing to adequate sized lithium banks will fix the problems.

I’m looking for a cost effective option and reliable products(cells)/reliable sellers. I plan on building my systems because of cost. But If I’m going to put the time effort and money into LifePo batteries I want them to be worth it.

There are bigger brains than mine in this group. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I would (and I did just order 8x272AH) mainly because the less you parallel the better

I just recently purchased 16x 200Ah cells from random AliExpress seller. It took two months to arrive, but I feel quite lucky that I got what was advertised.

Doing it over again - I think I would bite the bullet and pay more for a seller with a reputation and faster delivery. One thing to consider is getting some backup cells.

My need was 24v @ 200Ah but I purchased enough to make 24v@ 400Ah which is 8s2p. If any cell was bad in the pack - I could quickly rearrange it for half the capacity which is all I needed in the first place. For now, all cells are good so I have roughly double the capacity.

I now have peace of mind.

Back