diy solar

diy solar

Looking for some affirmation

DC couple meaning SCC takes power from PV and applies it to battery. AC couple, GT PV normally goes through grid tie inverter to grid; if you want battery, a separate bidiretional inverter connects battery to grid.

More popular these days are high frequency inverters with high voltage bus. PV feeds bus, inverter to/from grid connects to bus, internal DC/DC converter connects battery to bus.

Data comm in this case meaning SCC, shunt, inverter talk to each other (or an analog shunt connects to one of them.) This is also done with lithium battery BMS (closed loop), although sometimes open loop, only relying on voltage.

Some systems, like hybrids or all-in-one, will be easier to set up and should have integration of internal components taken care of.

Batteries may have a preferred charge current (especially flooded lead acid) or at least a max current. You can limit PV array or charge controller to avoid exceeding that. But better if you can have lots of PV power available for when AC loads use it, but regulate battery charge current.

A hybrid should have battery current setting built in. Systems with separate inverter and charge controller usually can't achieve that unless there is a battery current sensor (shunt) and communications. Victron and Midnight offer that. My SMA take care of that because AC coupled, but if DC coupling (direct battery connection) is used, then it has to be dealt with.

I struggle with computers too, and I used to design them. Communiations and PV equipment, it is more about data cables (sometimes custom), correct polarity, terminators, pullup/down, compatible equipment ... Yes, lots of ways to do things wrong.

My equipment comes with RJ45 paralleling cables and terminator plugs, with diagram of how to connect. That much is easy. Some of the other connections are a bit more involved.

You can start with a simple inexpensive system, maybe relegate it to some niche application when you start over and build something big with more capability. Or you can estimate what you'll want in the future, come up with an architecture concept, try to research and indentify a product line to fit your plans.

I started 20 years ago with grid-tie Sunny Boy from a retailer, knowing they had Sunny Island battery inverter only in Europe at the time. It turned out to be a top quality product, and in recent years I acquired their newer model Sunny Island. It is a bit behind in the time of use/peak shaving features now made popular due to utility companies trying to make PV a bad deal, but still works well for net metering and backup during grid failures.

My main system is whole house. PV creates 3x as much power as batteries get charged with, so when grid is down, central A/C can run; if not needed the PV harvesting is reduced. If grid is up, the excess is backfed.

I'll be installing the lastest SMA inverters for family & friends. As grid tie PV for now, but if they want battery backup it can be added (at a premium price, for BYD batteries.)

"Would it be best to stick with all the same brand of components or is it easy enough to mix and match?"

To a great extent, I think within one brand will be more trouble-free.
For some systems (especially AC coupled), lithium batteries seem to cause problems. Charging has to slow down as cells get full. Some brands like my SMA list supported batteries, and minimum capacity.

For communications, I think with few exceptions it needs to be single brand. There seem to be some things like SunSpec for reporting and gross level control (grid support) that will probably do what they need. But you want something that charges at the correct rate and never causes battery to disconnect. Plenty of threads here on that topic.

Indiana enters the chat ....

Hi Hank in Ohio.... I think I can almost see you from here.

Question:
How certain are you of your power requirements? Have you hung a Kill A Watt on each freezer to see what it actually consumes each day?

My mothers family were/are farmers south east of Toledo. Extremely practical folks.

Choosing parts and pieces for solar installations can become overwhelming pretty quickly.

Do you have any reputable companies near you that do solar installations?

I'm 6 miles from Ohio and there is a company in Fort Wayne that does installations. I think they do quite a few for the Amish.
Most Amish systems operate off grid obviously. But that is closely related to what you want to do.

You may want to shop some of these installation companies and see what they have to offer. Sometimes a package deal with advice, or partial installation can be hard to beat. Also, most of them have onsite service in case something goes sideways and you have other work to do, like planting and harvest, etc.

If you want to learn all of this stuff yourself ( I admit, its interesting ) continue, but plan on making a few mistakes along the way.
That is the nature of the beast. What is "best" is a moving target. Tier one stuff costs significantly more than lesser equipment. Think Miller Welder vs Harbor Freight Welder. You can buy 4 Harbor Freight welders for the price of a Miller, but none of them will be Blue. Still much of the stuff is still made in China. Seriously, some of the "Tier 1" stuff is 4x the other stuff.

You might want to find out what others are using in your area and what inverters, panels, batteries, the local installers are using and why.
What works well in Texas might not work quite the same in Ohio, especially during our winters when the water gets hard and the snow starts flying.

I'm beginning to see a whole new set of terminology I'm gonna have to get comfortable with, but then I didnt hardly know any of these solar specific terms 2 years ago when we started looking into this. We started out looking for ...I guess a "conventional" system with roof panels that gives you electric during the daytime and sells the power company any extra. When the grid would go down...no electric even with $30,000 dollars worth of solar equipment on the roof and in the basement. They were useing these terms and throwin numbers at me that I had no idea what they meant. All I knew is it didnt sound just right to me, I didnt really trust what they were saying. I couldn't see the system paying for itself in 5-7 years and even if it were so we would still be in the dark when the grid went down. AND nobody mentioned the panels would have to come off to install a new roof...which we will need in the next 4-5 years at the most. I should have realized it right off the bat but it never occurred to me.
I have measured usage with a kill-a-watt. Freezers are in attached garage and I took readings in the summer, they pull an average of about 1.5 kwh a day. I measured 2 blower motors for wood stove at 2.1 and 4 kwh a day, but these have been reduced with speed controllers and I'm using the original 2.1 + 4 as an extra amount of safety net.
We are in South Central OHIO, there are no solar companies that I know of in our area. We do have Amish around and I've though I would talk to them once I know what I'm talking about...lol. I'm looking to have just the 1 single circute off grid but with the option to charge batteries from the grid or generator if needed. This week between Christmas and New Years should allow me some time to get familiar with some of this stuff you guys have pointed out to me. Merry Christmas to you all and thanks.

One other possible solution for the inverter you might consider is the Midnite DIY series. Have not heard a lot about them on this forum, but both companies (Midnite and SRNE) have a good rep on their other products. The DIY are (as I understand) made by SRNE specifically for them, an AIO box that comes with Midnite support. So this might be a tier 1.5 solution (that is a tier 2 company product supported by a tier 1 company).

I'm beginning to see a whole new set of terminology I'm gonna have to get comfortable with, but then I didnt hardly know any of these solar specific terms 2 years ago when we started looking into this. We started out looking for ...I guess a "conventional" system with roof panels that gives you electric during the daytime and sells the power company any extra. When the grid would go down...no electric even with $30,000 dollars worth of solar equipment on the roof and in the basement. They were useing these terms and throwin numbers at me that I had no idea what they meant. All I knew is it didnt sound just right to me, I didnt really trust what they were saying. I couldn't see the system paying for itself in 5-7 years and even if it were so we would still be in the dark when the grid went down. AND nobody mentioned the panels would have to come off to install a new roof...which we will need in the next 4-5 years at the most. I should have realized it right off the bat but it never occurred to me.
I have measured usage with a kill-a-watt. Freezers are in attached garage and I took readings in the summer, they pull an average of about 1.5 kwh a day. I measured 2 blower motors for wood stove at 2.1 and 4 kwh a day, but these have been reduced with speed controllers and I'm using the original 2.1 + 4 as an extra amount of safety net.
We are in South Central OHIO, there are no solar companies that I know of in our area. We do have Amish around and I've though I would talk to them once I know what I'm talking about...lol. I'm looking to have just the 1 single circute off grid but with the option to charge batteries from the grid or generator if needed. This week between Christmas and New Years should allow me some time to get familiar with some of this stuff you guys have pointed out to me. Merry Christmas to you all and thanks.

When the Amish first started installing solar around us 10+ years ago (The buggy traffic on our road oftentimes exceeds car traffic) they were doing roof mounts oftentimes on their barns and outbuildings. Our county is stupid (really stupid) and was requiring a variance for any ground mounted solar. However, honestly, if you have the space, ground mounts is the way to go. For roof mount; You have the reroofing problem. You have to work on your roof to install them which tears up your roof, and then punch hundreds of holes into your roof and still keep it water tight. Yeah, what could go wrong! :-/
The last few years, ground mounts have become very popular and fewer roof mount systems are going up in rural areas around me. Almost all new installs the last few years have been ground mounts. The inspectors don't care since no one pulls permits for them anyway since they are not grid tied. Plus the Amish avoid permits like the plague anyway.

Grid tied solar that cannot operate without the grid is stupid IMO. When the utilities were giving favorable rates to buy solar power it may have made sense, but now the buy rate here in Indiana is stupid low which makes grid tied systems, without batteries, very unattractive.

Off grid, with the use of the grid as a backup is the way to go.

Back