diy solar

diy solar

Low cost SCC suggestions?

Prefersdirt

Solar Enthusiast
I have an an electric fence that uses a 12v battery as a power source. I already have a spare 250W and a 100W panel from another project using an AIO unit. I need to keep the battery charged and know either will do it. But I need a SCC for the system.

Want an ok one but since it will be in the middle of fields, I don’t want to buy a Victron.

Heck, The charger was only 250.

What does the forum suggest?

Thanks

That PWM isn't going to do too well for a 250w panel feeding a 12v battery, and it's as expensive (or more) than a proper MPPT controller.

I'm a fan of the HQST, EPEver, or (if you're going super cheap) PowMr. With that small a system anything over 20a is gravy and since you're not going to be able to use the 2 panels together, just plan on using the 250w on its own.

Considering you're in BC, take whatever panel math you think you need and multiply it by LOTS! That 100w panel isn't going to be enough for fall/winter/spring. I speak from experience. :cautious:

If it's going to be mounted outside and you're worried about the rain, build a vented bottom box with a roof and a couple top vents, they won't be getting THAT warm but airflow will still keep it happy.

Considering you're in BC,
I am in Indiana. Thanks!

I know the panels can't go together. I have 3 of the 100W and lots of the 250W. 1 should be enough for the light use of the fencer. I can always add another if necessary. (the 100W are part of my "grab the portable stuff and get to family" pack) I will look at your suggestions.

I know it's not popular, but I'm a fan of the $15 cheap blue charge controllers. Not the ones that say mppt. The ones that have a metal backplate with ridges. As long as you don't overload them, they're great.

Have had 1 in a Costco bin system for over a year. Hot summer, frozen winter. Rated for 30a, most she can get from panels is maybe 18a. In box with inverter and battery, it gets HOT in there, but no complaints.

Have another one that i set up just for testing, worked great. Just don't run them at full rating. I've taken apart a few, and you kinda get a feel for true ampacity based on how many transistors are in the control circuit. 1 pair of transistors might be 10 to 20a rating.

But for 20a going into a 12v battery, it would be fine with 2x or 3x of those 100w panels in parallel. You'd lose too much with the bigger panel. And, true max voltage is really unknown, one rating on Amazon, another on the box, another on the sticker on the cc itself. You gain nothing with higher volts, so just keep it low and full of amps.

I would suggest using a 100w panel as its likely the 250w panel is a 30-something volt and running it through the cheap PWM controller that this project deserves would cut it down to ~1/3rd of its watt rating.. it's just somewhat of a waste of potential.

Back