diy solar

diy solar

Luxpower hybrid inverter technical support

Grace,
They updated my 12k firmware to FAAB-090C. Based on what you said two weeks ago, I was expecting it to be 0A0A. Is 090C the latest revision?
How will I know when a new revision becomes available?

Before I ordered the 12k, I was told that my EG4 LifePower 4 used the LUX communication and should be compatible. That didn't work so I got the Solar Assistant in the hopes that having it communicate with the batteries and the LUX 12k would have two way communication with Solar Assistant. That didn't work either. The SA uses NARADA RS485 to communicate with my EG4 batteries. Do you know if the LUX has a battery comm setting that is compatible with NARADA RS485 that I could try? If not, is there anyway LUX could add that capability?

Another disappointment for me was to find out that LUX requires AC coupling only through the GEN port. On page 18 of the user manual it clearly shows the AC coupling on the EPS port. There are two reasons I don't like this:
1. Having the AC coupling straight into the GEN port doesn't meet the 20 amp circuit breaker required for the inverter protection.
2. Using the GEN port prevents connecting an backup generator to that port.
What is LUX doing to resolve these two issues?

EDIT
I did a test this afternoon as the sun was setting. With about 400 watts of AC coupled solar and about 600 watts of house load, I tripped the K12 supply circuit breaker. It switched over to batteries so fast that my TV stayed on, which was good, but it appears that the GEN port open so all the AC coupled solar was lost. That is not good.

While operating on battery backup (No AC or solar to the K12), I tried various appliances. My hot tub doesn't start at all even though the starting current is only 15 amps at 120v. Voltage and frequency look good even when it tries to start. I suspect there is something wrong with the sinewave. Is the 12k a pure sinewave inverter?

I found out my 12k's LCD screen needed updating. Once I got it updated to version 5, I now have some AC coupling settings that I didn't have before. I'll need to do some new testing to see if this feature is now working.

Thanks for all your help.
Dave

Last edited:
Grace,
They updated my 12k firmware to FAAB-090C. Based on what you said two weeks ago, I was expecting it to be 0A0A. Is 090C the latest revision?

Before I ordered the 12k, I was told that my EG4 LifePower 4 used the LUX communication and should be compatible. That didn't work so I got the Solar Assistant in the hopes that having it communicate with the batteries and the LUX 12k would have two way communication with Solar Assistant. That didn't work either. The SA uses NARADA RS485 to communicate with my EG4 batteries. Do you know if the LUX has a battery comm setting that is compatible with NARADA RS485 that I could try? If not, is there anyway LUX could add that capability?

Another disappointment for me was to find out that LUX requires AC coupling only through the GEN port. On page 18 of the user manual it clearly shows the AC coupling on the EPS port. There are two reasons I don't like this:
1. Having the AC coupling straight into the GEN port doesn't meet the 20 amp circuit breaker required for the inverter protection.

EDIT
I did a test this afternoon as the sun was setting. With about 400 watts of AC coupled solar and about 600 watts of house load, I tripped the K12 supply circuit breaker. It switched over to batteries so fast that my TV stayed on, which was good, but it appears that the GEN port open so all the AC coupled solar was lost. That is not good.

While operating on battery backup (No AC or solar to the K12), I tried various appliances. My hot tub doesn't start at all even though the starting current is only 15 amps at 120v. Voltage and frequency look good even when it tries to start. I suspect there is something wrong with the sinewave. Is the 12k a pure sinewave inverter?

I found out my 12k's LCD screen needed updating. Once I got it updated to version 5, I now have some AC coupling settings that I didn't have before. I'll need to do some new testing to see if this feature is now working.

Dave
1.Now the lastest version is FAAB 0C0D
2. Which EG4 battery model are you using? I can check with EG4 engineer
3. For AC coupling
In the early stage, we designed AC coupling connected to EPS. However, we found it is better to connect it to the GEN port because you can disconnect the GEN port if there is too much power from the grid tie inverter( for example, when the battery is full, the load is small, and there is no grid to feed in). Of course, in this situation, we can use frequency shifting to make the grid tie inverter output less, but there is the possibility that the grid tie inverter does not respond to frequency. This is the reason we change our design.
As I understand, you can not connect the grid tie inverter and generator to the inverter simultaneously if both are working. Solar and loads change all the time, there will be some extra power feed into the generator, which will cause damage to the generator.
I do not understand this. Is it installation codes?

1.Now the lastest version is FAAB 0C0D
2. Which EG4 battery model are you using? I can check with EG4 engineer
3. For AC coupling
In the early stage, we designed AC coupling connected to EPS. However, we found it is better to connect it to the GEN port because you can disconnect the GEN port if there is too much power from the grid tie inverter( for example, when the battery is full, the load is small, and there is no grid to feed in). Of course, in this situation, we can use frequency shifting to make the grid tie inverter output less, but there is the possibility that the grid tie inverter does not respond to frequency. This is the reason we change our design.
As I understand, you can not connect the grid tie inverter and generator to the inverter simultaneously if both are working. Solar and loads change all the time, there will be some extra power feed into the generator, which will cause damage to the generator.
1. Should I email info@luxpowertex.com, give them my serial number and ask them to install FAAB 0C0D?

Does it matter that my model is 0009ADCI?

2. The EG4 batteries are LifePower 4 without the lcd screen. I bought them new from Signature Solar January 2022. Signature solar is going to start selling a rebranded version of the LUX 12k in May. I would think Signature Solar will want their new inverters to communicate with their batteries, even if they aren't the model they selling now.

Thanks for explaining the AC coupling design change. If I put in a throwover switch that will disconnect the AC coupled solar and connect to a backup generator, will just unchecking the "AC Coupling" in the menu allow me to then run the generator and supply power into the gen port when on-grid and also off-grid?

I do not understand this. Is it installation codes?
No. The AC coupled inverter manufacturer requires a 20 amp circuit breaker for protection in case there is an unexpected fault. Having the inverter connected directly to the GEN port with wire and inverter that can not handle more than 20 amps, would be hazardous unless the GEN port is set to automatically disconnect at 20 amps of current.

Last edited:
1. Should I email info@luxpowertex.com, give them my serial number and ask them to install FAAB 0C0D?

Does it matter that my model is 0009ADCI?
yes, just send email and make it online, it doesn't matter what the model is, we will check which firmware is suitable for you

2. The EG4 batteries are LifePower 4 without the lcd screen. I bought them new from Signature Solar January 2022. Signature solar is going to start selling a rebranded version of the LUX 12k in May. I would think Signature Solar will want their new inverters to communicate with their batteries, even if they aren't the model they selling now.
EG4 is quite familar with this LXP12K, I do not know your battery model by your description, so it is better to ask Signature Solar for a solution to communicate with the old battery model
Thanks for explaining the AC coupling design change. If I put in a throwover switch that will disconnect the AC coupled solar and connect to a backup generator, will just unchecking the "AC Coupling" in the menu allow me to then run the generator and supply power into the gen port when on-grid and also off-grid?
Now if you change the switch from AC coupling to Generator, you have to also change the AC coupling setting in the LCD.
Please note if you enable AC coupling, and actually connect a generator on the GEN port, the inverter or generator may be broken.
By the way, does your throw-over switch has any signal output ? if there is, we may have a solution
No. The AC coupled inverter manufacturer requires a 20 amp circuit breaker for protection in case there is an unexpected fault. Having the inverter connected directly to the GEN port with wire and inverter that can not handle more than 20 amps, would be hazardous unless the GEN port is set to automatically disconnect at 20 amps of current.
ok, I understand. Then it is no problem, because when you connect your AC-coupled inverter to GEN port, the power from AC coupled inverter(go through the breaker) is decided by AC-coupled inverter, not hybrid inverter. Power is generated by AC-coupled inverter. so it is no problem

yes, just send email and make it online, it doesn't matter what the model is, we will check which firmware is suitable for you

EG4 is quite familar with this LXP12K, I do not know your battery model by your description, so it is better to ask Signature Solar for a solution to communicate with the old battery model

Now if you change the switch from AC coupling to Generator, you have to also change the AC coupling setting in the LCD.
Please note if you enable AC coupling, and actually connect a generator on the GEN port, the inverter or generator may be broken.
By the way, does your throw-over switch has any signal output ? if there is, we may have a solution

I haven't purchased a throwover switch yet. Please recommend which throwover I should buy and how it connect it and program the 12k to make it work properly.

ok, I understand. Then it is no problem, because when you connect your AC-coupled inverter to GEN port, the power from AC coupled inverter(go through the breaker) is decided by AC-coupled inverter, not hybrid inverter. Power is generated by AC-coupled inverter. so it is no problem
Originally I had the AC coupled inverter and its attached solar panels protected by one 20 amp breaker when it was being feed from the EPS port of the 12k as per my LUX manual version 2.0-01. Now to make it work, I had to disconnect the AC coupled inverter/solar from the 20 amp breaker and connect them straight into the GEN port per the new LUX manual 1.0-03. So now the 20 amp breaker si turned off and is no longer protecting anything. There is NO power going through the breaker anymore. I highlighted the situation comparing AC coupling in the older and newer manuals below.....
1682628642960.png
1682618661971.png

Last edited:
Grace,

EDIT

Dave
Hi Dave,

The firmware update had been done yesterday , and please check if the AC coupling function can work properly , also the LCD firmware version now is V08 . Start AC charge SOC/ Voltage configuration is available in this version.
Thanks.

I haven't purchased a throwover switch yet. Please recommend which throwover I should buy and how it connect it and program the 12k to make it work properly.

Originally I had the AC coupled inverter and its attached solar panels protected by one 20 amp breaker when it was being feed from the EPS port of the 12k as per my LUX manual version 2.0-01. Now to make it work, I had to disconnect the AC coupled inverter/solar from the 20 amp breaker and connect them straight into the GEN port per the new LUX manual 1.0-03. So now the 20 amp breaker si turned off and is no longer protecting anything. There is NO power going through the breaker anymore. I highlighted the situation comparing AC coupling in the older and newer manuals below.....
View attachment 146836
View attachment 146812
Hi
I thought the breaker spec for AC coupling input is based on the capacity of input power, but you need to consider a rest capacity for the breaker too. You can follow the steps of the new manual , you need to Enable AC couple function via Advanced setting page and check the Start AC couple SOC and voltage , these are the conditions to activate GEN port as AC couple input . Also if you need the AC coupling input works when grid power is on, please make sure "grid sell back" function is enabled . But you need to make sure the Generator must not be installed if you need AC couple function .

Thanks

Interesting that there is a LuxPower "presence" here on DIYSolarForum.
Seems to take days to get a response from an Alibaba Inquiry...
So asking here then...
Are there any North American Vendors for your products ?
Please provide Certification Information for your products, specifically what Certifications do you have for North America ?

So asking here then...
Please provide Certification Information for your products, specifically what Certifications do you have for North America ?
I'm also very interested in this.

Ps I inquired about ordering through Ali, first I was told they weren't in stock and megarevo was suggested, after questioning if they weren't in stock or weren't allowed to be sold in the US I was told 10+ had to be ordered and megracrappo was suggested again...

Can you check with your technical department to see if there is a possibility of updating firmware to accommodate people who have non 48v nominal batteries. For people who have been using Schneider units who have batteries that get up to 64v. For example 18s lifepo4 batteries can be charged up to 63vdc. That is one of the other things the Sol-Ark has got you beat on. It can accommodate of up 63v max.

So asking here then...
Here's a link to a Canadian seller, luxpower product with a different name https://volts.ca/collections/hybrid...hybrid-solar-inverter-charger-power-inverters

Well it is neither here nor there as far as Lux or anyone else..
Wasn't really looking for an AIO as I have two Midnite Classic SCC's and the related hardware already. So after much thought & discussion we are seriously looking at Victron Quattro's (Inverter/Charger no SCC's) just supply is a bit tricky ATM.

Well it is neither here nor there as far as Lux or anyone else..
Wasn't really looking for an AIO as I have two Midnite Classic SCC's and the related hardware already. So after much thought & discussion we are seriously looking at Victron Quattro's (Inverter/Charger no SCC's) just supply is a bit tricky ATM.
What is making you go towards victron over schneider or midnite?

Midnite Rosie is too new and too many things "are to come". Their cost when rolled up is also very stiff - too stiff for 7000W HF. Rosie, Backplate, + E-Panel and add the SPD's and the rest and ouch... Plus I'd have to replace my existing MNDC E-Panels which is a lot more $$. Also the fact that all Victron Gear can be interacted with using a variety of softwares as well... With Venus OS I can manage all of it & incorporate the Midnite Classics as well via Node Red interface. I would have liked to stay with Midnite for the inverter as well but it does not meet my needs/wants.

Connext is OK but very $$$
Magnum is good BUT complex to setup and limited in wattage...

We are presently debating Victron Quattro 48/5000 or 48/10000. Starting with 1 Unit outputting 120VAC for now (I am 120V not 240V atm) but then to add another later in parallel for 240VAC output. Also knowing that the product will be available at that time.

Back