diy solar

diy solar

Luxpower LXP6K vs EG4 6000XP

I've just been told by lux power the 2 units are the same, brand differences only. I hope this is right. I'll also pay more no problem for support based In canada, and warranty in canada.
From a number of other threads, I know there is at least one outfit in Canada selling comparable LuxPower inverters to EG4

Can someone help me understand where we can legally(meet code and pass inspection) use this in Canada/Ontario?
I see the LXP6K is UL 1741 and CSA C22.2#107.1:2016 Ed.4+U1
What use cases can you use this here?
From previous research, I thought UL9540(which requires paired batteries) is required for installing in a house/dwelling.
So I'm wondering where we can use this basically since it seems like a decent unit.

Can someone help me understand where we can legally(meet code and pass inspection) use this in Canada/Ontario?
I see the LXP6K is UL 1741 and CSA C22.2#107.1:2016 Ed.4+U1
What use cases can you use this here?
From previous research, I thought UL9540(which requires paired batteries) is required for installing in a house/dwelling.
So I'm wondering where we can use this basically since it seems like a decent unit.
You can't. There is no battery ul9450 with the lxp6k (that I've found).

You cannot* install a battery in a dwelling unit under the 2021 CEC. *There is a notice on the ESA website that may allow you to under very strict guidelines.

Do yourself a favour and purchase the newest copy of the Knights CEC book and familiarize yourself with section 64.

You can't. There is no battery ul9450 with the lxp6k (that I've found).

You cannot* install a battery in a dwelling unit under the 2021 CEC. *There is a notice on the ESA website that may allow you to under very strict guidelines.

Do yourself a favour and purchase the newest copy of the Knights CEC book and familiarize yourself with section 64.

Thanks. This is what I thought, but I'm trying to understand what can you use these for(legally) in Canada currently
There's a Canadian company selling them, listed as CSA approved, but Off-Grid. So wondering what's the point of selling them if you can't use them here... unless you just don't mind having an unapproved system.
Even if you had an off grid cabin in the woods without any grid at all, it's still not approved? or is it..

Thanks. This is what I thought, but I'm trying to understand what can you use these for(legally) in Canada currently
There's a Canadian company selling them, listed as CSA approved, but Off-Grid. So wondering what's the point of selling them if you can't use them here... unless you just don't mind having an unapproved system.
Even if you had an off grid cabin in the woods without any grid at all, it's still not approved? or is it..
Put the system in a shed and you are good to go.

The CEC and the ESA and building code do not distinguish "off grid". Well the ESA permitting is easier if you don't have a grid connection. The 10kw "limit" goes away. But other than that no difference for grid or offgrid.

If your system is more than 50v you require permits and must meet the CEC code. With the price of building and land in Ontario...do you really want to be in a position if you have a fire or worse and are denied coverage by your insurance?

When applying for insurance on my cabin in the woods, the co-operators asked for the ESA inspection report, engineering documents and my building permits. And that was in the 2018 code.

The CEC and the ESA and building code do not distinguish "off grid". Well the ESA permitting is easier if you don't have a grid connection. The 10kw "limit" goes away. But other than that no difference for grid or offgrid.

If your system is more than 50v you require permits and must meet the CEC code. With the price of building and land in Ontario...do you really want to be in a position if you have a fire or worse and are denied coverage by your insurance?

When applying for insurance on my cabin in the woods, the co-operators asked for the ESA inspection report, engineering documents and my building permits. And that was in the 2018 code.

Thanks. I'm just trying to figure out why someone would buy this in Canada when it seems like you can't really use it legally, except for maybe putting it in an uninhabited out building, with heated batteries or something.

Thanks. I'm just trying to figure out why someone would buy this in Canada when it seems like you can't really use it legally, except for maybe putting it in an uninhabited out building, with heated batteries or something.
Not everyone cares to be 100% legal.

Potentially there are legacy code compliant installs where this qualifies as a like for like repair replacement

Not everyone cares to be 100% legal.

Potentially there are legacy code compliant installs where this qualifies as a like for like repair replacement
Fair enough. My small system is technically not legal either but it’s quite small and more for backup emergency power at this point. This LXP6K just seems very attractive in terms of features for the price but I’m trying to figure out what people will be using them for when we have such strict rules here(I think a few fellow Canadians have bought them)

Fair enough. My small system is technically not legal either but it’s quite small and more for backup emergency power at this point.

In the US an emergency backup power only system can conceivably be excluded from UL9540 requirements since it's not an ESS. However it may then be considered a UPS... and a UL1741 inverter typically does not have the UPS listing.

This LXP6K just seems very attractive in terms of features for the price but I’m trying to figure out what people will be using them for when we have such strict rules here(I think a few fellow Canadians have bought them)
This isn't the only anomaly out there... Midnite has been shipping a 1741 inverter (Rosie, designed for parallel operation yet none of the major US grids allow 1741 equipment to connect) and 1741SB (ONE) (OK, a lot better, but can only legally be used for gridtie in many states). Victron is in a similar situation with their 1741 MultiPlus approval from late 2023. (two certifications behind)

Most of the Deye-derived hybrid solar/AC heat pumps lack AFCI but do have UL certs. 100% bet those customers are installing on groundmounts /s.

People still buy all of the above and rave about them on the forum.

The NRTL will test anything for a customer.

Anyway eventually when UL9540 DC ESS batteries come out it will likely be legal to use any 1741 inverter with them. Can't say I buy the argument that all these UL1741 equipment are getting listed to future proof for the arrival of this hardware.

I would never buy either one of these inverters. They're both high frequency units with no output transformer so they both have poorer peak power capacities and that offer shorter life expectancies than low frequency transformer based inverters.

I would never buy either one of these inverters. They're both high frequency units with no output transformer so they both have poorer peak power capacities and that offer shorter life expectancies than low frequency transformer based inverters.
I guess there are MANY that disagree.
Better get used to the fact that HF and LF both have their place.

Do you have any reasonably current data to back up this statement? My 50A EG4 will start my 4T goodman, and has been demonstrated pushing over 60A before it safely shuts itself down. There are people on here that have been running HF inverters for quite a long time. These new HF AIO's seem fairly robust, but obviously can not have a 20 year track record yet. I've not seen anyone complaining about the 50A Sol-Ark units falling over and they've been around for several years. Not saying there are no args for the LF unit's, but they seem to be getting thinner and thinner as the HF tech improves/matures.

I purchsed the Lux. I think it's identical to the EG4,but it doesnt have the built in breakers, for battery, load, etc. Also doesnt have the disconnect switch on the right side.

It was, however, available :)

So it turns out they have two models the SNA-US 6000 and the SNA-NB-US 6000, which doesnt have breakers. I suppose the NB means no breakers.
I paid $1299 US for it, so I guess its ok. I would have gone for EG4, but needed soon and EG 4 was backordered

Back