diy solar

diy solar

LV6548 inconsistent charging off generator

TheBenjamin

Does anyone here have any experience charging their batteries through a LV6548 via using a generator?
Sometimes it chargea at 2kw, other times none.

I assume that I am at fault here, anyone know specific settings for this?

Does anyone here have any experience charging their batteries through a LV6548 via using a generator?
Sometimes it chargea at 2kw, other times none.

I assume that I am at fault here, anyone know specific settings for this?
I understand the MPPSolar and the Growatt are basically the same internal software. On my Growatt, I can look at the log and the log says, battery 100% even after some discharge....go on down the log, 100%.....100%.....100%, then 75% and charging starts. This is for generator charging. Generator charging is different than solar. Run your battery down a bit (more) and see if it will start charging.

I understand the MPPSolar and the Growatt are basically the same internal software. On my Growatt, I can look at the log and the log says, battery 100% even after some discharge....go on down the log, 100%.....100%.....100%, then 75% and charging starts. This is for generator charging. Generator charging is different than solar. Run your battery down a bit (more) and see if it will st
well basically we keep getting hammered by early winter snow storms and I haven't been able to get the batteries back to full.

yesterday, I was able to run the generator and it charged the batteries at a rate of about 2kw. I went to 90% then shut it down

In this state;I had to have the inverter turned off otherwise it wouldn't charge the batteries.

This morning it worked on bypass for a little while, running the house and charging the batteries. Then for no apparent reason, it switches out of that mode and I am basically burning fuel for no reason.

Fortunately I have a wood fireplace, but this can't be happening at -29°C or the odds of project failure are ridiculously high.

What mode are you running in? If in other than UTI than anytime the inverter sees sufficient battery charge it will switch to inverter and you will lose utility (generator) charging. The AIO can not charge from utility (generator) when running in inverter mode, only in pass through.

What mode are you running in? If in other than UTI than anytime the inverter sees sufficient battery charge it will switch to inverter and you will lose utility (generator) charging. The AIO can not charge from utility (generator) when running in inverter mode, only in pass through.
UTI is on set for 30a

Since it switched out of AC pass through that would indicate that the AIO decided the Generator input did not meet spec and it then acted like a UPS does. Do you have any large loads that can cycle on and off running at the same time as you are charging?

UTI is on set for 30a
I managed to get it to work again.
Since it switched out of AC pass through that would indicate that the AIO decided the Generator input did not meet spec and it then acted like a UPS does. Do you have any large loads that can cycle on and off running at the same time as you are charging?
I triggered the furnace which is a 800watt draw while in stage 2.

It appears to be charging now, will observe and report.
If it is the correct path then it appears to require the inverter to be off when the generator is started. It is providing 2.3kws at the moment.

In about 5 minutes I will try to turn the inverter on and see what happens.

So on my growatt I called Sig solar, they said they had some issues reported on the 12 kw growatt that was the same as my 8kw growatt . The issue was I would only get to about 70 ish SOC and it would just stop charging. The charge light still on but no watts going in. anyhow they had me bump my float up to bulk rate and now it charges fine.

I have twin LV6548’s split phase and I’m having no problems charging up to 7500 watts from a generator so long as the inverter’s conditions are met (in bulk mode). The specs for the inverters do mention “sinusoidal” for the input. I’m assuming the inverter is qualifying the voltage, frequency and waveform so a quality generator (inverter generator type) is probably a good idea. The inverter may or may not like a standard generator’s output quality at a given moment. My inverters are always operating when I switch over and the inverter could be waiting for a source to use or trigger pass through from the inverters. 4EF39BCD-1895-4027-B81B-337116D50999.jpeg

Last edited:
I can actually confirm what seems to work here.
The steps appear to be
1) Switch output to USB (I believe #2)
2) Turn off the inverter
3) start the generator (this initiates incoming energy.
4) if you want to use the power immediately just turn the inverter back on.

Otherwise it is inconsistent.

The big problem with generator charging on the LV6548 is that it forces AC passthrough when it senses AC input. Your generator will have to carry the entire load in addition to the charge amperage that you select. For each inverter you need 10,000 watts of generator. I have 4 inverters working together for split phase output. To use the inverters to charge off of my 8,000 watt generator I have to turn off the Well Pump, Water Heater, Microwave, and Air Conditioning.

To solve this issue, I purchased an additional inverter that is used for Solar and Generator charging only (No AC output). I can set this inverter to pull the max output of the generator for charging without worrying about other loads coming on and overloading the generator. The other 4 inverters continue to run the normal loads uninterrupted.

These inverters were designed for grid AC input or a very large generator.

Back