diy solar

diy solar

LVX6048 450v pv input - getting there with 4.4kw array

AmericanSilverback

I'm finally getting around to installing my inverter. I'll be using my two strings of panels 8 in one string and 6 in the other ( running 18acdc mini-split and 12acdc mini-split on smaller one)

As I'm reading the input is limited to 450v DC and on paper the panels wires as one large array would be at 560v DC.

So how do I configure them to get under the 450v DC input
Attached is a label from panels
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20230710_191132~2.jpg
    IMG_20230710_191132~2.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 11
I was always under the impression that the higher the voltage the better (as long as you don't exceed max of course). If this is the final configuration, I would probably go 7S2P as mentioned above. If you could somehow squeeze 6 more panels, 10S2P would be ideal. I would even just run a single string of 10 for now if you plan to add so you don't have to rewire later (especially if this is roof mounted).

I'd be curious to your feedback on the noise level once you have it setup.

I was always under the impression that the higher the voltage the better (as long as you don't exceed max of course). If this is the final configuration, I would probably go 7S2P as mentioned above. If you could somehow squeeze 6 more panels, 10S2P would be ideal. I would even just run a single string of 10 for now if you plan to add so you don't have to rewire later (especially if this is roof mounted).

I'd be curious to your feedback on the noise level once you have it setup

It is a roof mount. I planned to build a large ground mount for my additional solar panels in the future. Noise? hmmm anythig to do to help with that?

As I've read and reread the comments above, I keep thinking 7s2p sounds like 9 panels. I have 14 total and only have 4.4kw of output as configured.... why only use 9 panels... Am I missing it? Sorry fellas... Thanks again

More volts keep amps on the wire lower. So as long as your not using to small a cable or feeding to much down the cables your good volts wise.

My tp6048 has a 120volt min to work basically. So I need to keep the voltage over 120 volts. But I have to take into account the mpp controller part lowering the volts while trying to get the most out of the panels. So I want 150 volts min personally on my setup.

Also I like to have a bit more volts for cloudy days too. So when picking the amount to use in each string for setting up parallel I want 250 volts or so.

So for me I want enough panels in series to see 250 volts and can parallel to the cows come home so to speak :)

Also remember to combine the parallel strings at a combiner box close to the inverter or use heavy gauge wire to back feed from a distant combiner box to the inverter. I prefer combining closer to the inverter but from watching videos of others setups most combine close to the panels.

As I've read and reread the comments above, I keep thinking 7s2p sounds like 9 panels. I have 14 total and only have 4.4kw of output as configured.... why only use 9 panels... Am I missing it? Sorry fellas... Thanks again
When you see an array designated by XS, YP (7S2P) the first number is panels in series creating a string. The next number is how many strings wired in parallel. Thus 14 panels wired 7S2P (7 X 2=14). It is just a shorthand for how the array is setup. There are oddball setups that wont precisely fit this scheme.

When you see an array designated by XS, YP (7S2P) the first number is panels in series creating a string. The next number is how many strings wired in parallel. Thus 14 panels wired 7S2P (7 X 2=14). It is just a shorthand for how the array is setup. There are oddball setups that wont precisely fit this scheme.
Thanks for that!

Can someone check my math as far as the panel specs in the picture above?

I was just tinkering with a "solar array calculator" and it gave me this total when all in series as they are ( actually they are currently in to separate series arrays)

For all 14 in series it showed 4340.66watts
Max DC volts of 458.36v
Max current of 9.47 amps

Is this correct for 14 of the panels above? And if so would I ever see the max from what i have and hit 458.36. ( 450v says that's the max the inverter can have)

I'd really like to get the inverter up and operating this weekend, but don't have much in the way of spare wire, connectors or trinkets to get me there... I may just have to wait... But still unsure of my math now ?

I agree on keeping the voltage as high as possible without exceeding the limit. I'd be careful with 10 of these, depending on ambient temperatures. When you run the numbers with 10 of these panels in series at zero degrees F you come up with 450.7v. That's maybe okay but if you ever get temps close to zero or below zero I'd say stick with a max of 9 panels. Southern Arkansas - that's definitely a possible scenario.

With 450 max your way over and you have to take into account cloud lensing and cold weather. Both of which can push you volts over the rated limit. Play it say and keep the volts as close to 400 as possible in my opinion. Others can chime in letting you know what they think.

Thank ya'll It sounds like I will loop down and snag one panel from the 6 panel array and make a 9 panel array and hook up the inverter and leave 5 hooked to one of my mini-splits for now and order some cabling to properly series/parrell what I have to connect it all to the inverter later

Thank ya'll It sounds like I will loop down and snag one panel from the 6 panel array and make a 9 panel array and hook up the inverter and leave 5 hooked to one of my mini-splits for now and order some cabling to properly series/parrell what I have to connect it all to the inverter later
That should work. At -10F you're still at 411.5v on a 9 panel string. Plenty of cushion.

Noise? hmmm anythig to do to help with that?
IMG_5709.jpg
Put it outside? :p Mine are in a mechanical room right behind my kitchen. I mounted them with lag screws but put rubber grommets in between the wall and the inverter. It didn't help much. The fan noise is a killer. I am getting used to it, but if buzzing noise bugs you, good luck...

View attachment 157213
Put it outside? :p Mine are in a mechanical room right behind my kitchen. I mounted them with lag screws but put rubber grommets in between the wall and the inverter. It didn't help much. The fan noise is a killer. I am getting used to it, but if buzzing noise bugs you, good luck...
?. Here I was thinking about emi I was thinking about electrical interference or RF noise in other components in around the place too funny

Back