diy solar

diy solar

MakeSkyBlue are still ripoff, beware.

Frank in Thailand

making mistakes so you don't have to...
This is to balance against the negativity form @DestroyFX towards PowMR as a brand from this post

I have used 3 X 60A PowMR, and
nothing but praise, for the price.

Yes, they have a loud small fan
Screenshot_20220811_213024.jpg
And they do run hot..
(Small heatsinks, just large enough)

So absolutely room for improvement.

Like 120mm fan :)
Larger heatsinks

They probably don't live up to their 95% efficiency (or so)
But neither does Victron....

So for the price....
It's an amazing product.

I'm well aware about the "fight" between them, both claim to be the leading MPPT Inventor or so ???

As long as they are performing OK, I don't really care what name is on there :)

In the linked thread above it's only about parroting the slander from blue Sky towards PowMR.

To all you people out there who are using PowMR MPPT, how do you like this unit, and how is it performance, especially compared to the price.
(Victron units are about $750, and yes, for that much more money, you can build a better product)

I'm a proud owner of PowMR, and can recommend, especially price/quality.

I never owned a sky blue, as I don't thrust a company that feels the need to slander it's competition.
Only crying about how sad they are it got stolen, and how the other must be a rubbish product... Boohoe

So..
Let me know your experience!

Did you buy PowMR and it catched fire (as some claim it does) or you have the opposite experience?
No fire?
Or the blue sky made magic smoke skies :)

Face it...
It's all China crap that would not be allowed in any European or American official solar park.
Like 95% of all "medical" AliExpress electronics won't be allowed to be used in western hospitals...

That doesn't make them dangerous, or one brand that shout the loudest that it is good and the other one bad would suddenly become reliable.

If you want reliable, you pay $750 for a Victron (or similar)

This is to balance against the negativity form @DestroyFX towards PowMR as a brand from this post

View attachment 106472
And they do run hot..

Larger heatsinks

So for the price....
It's an amazing product.

I'm well aware about the "fight" between them, both claim to be the leading MPPT Inventor or so ???

In the linked thread above it's only about parroting the slander from blue Sky towards PowMR.

To all you people out there who are using PowMR MPPT, how do you like this unit, and how is it performance, especially compared to the price.
(Victron units are about $750, and yes, for that much more money, you can build a better product)

I never owned a sky blue, as I don't thrust a company that feels the need to slander it's competition.
Only crying about how sad they are it got stolen, and how the other must be a rubbish product... Boohoe

So..

Did you buy PowMR and it catched fire (as some claim it does) or you have the opposite experience?
No fire?

Face it...
It's all China crap that would not be allowed in any European or American official solar park.
Like 95% of all "medical" AliExpress electronics won't be allowed to be used in western hospitals...

That doesn't make them dangerous, or one brand that shout the loudest that it is good and the other one bad would suddenly become reliable.

View attachment 106472
And they do run hot..

Larger heatsinks

So for the price....
It's an amazing product.

So..

No fire?

Face it...

You got lucky, probably.
That initial ripoff version you show don't have an exact copy of the other product (but it run an outdated firmware from makeskyblue) unlike the new revision of that PowMr charge controller that now look totally identical internally to the makeskyblue (no idea of what firmware it run).

While I did read/see horror story about that unit (the old one, the one you show), Most of the problem I did read about it was about the unit "stopping charging"
I even see good review from that unit but it's still a ripoff when a company copy a product but I can't recommend it.

(You can clearly dyor to see which one is the original product)

I'm totally fine with cheap SCC, I do have two Makeskyblue 60A, got both for a total of ~85$ on sales

View attachment 106472
And they do run hot..

Larger heatsinks

So for the price....
It's an amazing product.

So..

No fire?

Face it...

I have the same unit as you, in my garage which has a 1 KW solar array and a DIY 280Ah LiFePo4 in a crate. Three years running and never a hiccup. Shoot, I even have some LED lights connected to the Load terminals, also never an issue.

Again.... (@DestroyFX )

What's with the negativity.
Rip-off version ???

Please provide the PROOF
your claim for sky-blue as original inventor and better quality.

I know they scream that all over the internet.
Without proof.

PowMR doesn't need to paint the competition black.
The quality of their products and competitive pricing puts blue sky in the dark sky modus ?

Apparently they (blue sky) need that.

What are we talking about??
5 -10% price difference...
$107 Vs $100 for similar machine.

I used the powMR with 9 (3x3) 345W panels, the performance was better then the Sorotec Revo II hybrid that has internal MPPT.
Simple math would make that little over 60A.
Also with 9 X 325w panels (3*3)
Simple math will make that little under 60A
(with lifepo4 51.2 nominal voltage.
While charging, voltage goes up/over 56v, what would make that 55.5 and 52A.)

Ease of chain 9 panels made me choose for the Revo II.

With +14kw on solar panels, I have a lot of overhead.
(My system is built for the clouded days, not the sunny ones, as we have no alternative backup)
(+50 kWh LiFePO4)

Last edited:
I have the same unit as you, in my garage which has a 1 KW solar array and a DIY 280Ah LiFePo4 in a crate. Three years running and never a hiccup. Shoot, I even have some LED lights connected to the Load terminals, also never an issue.
Thanks for your feedback.

Like 99.9% of most Chinese electronics, they aren't build to perform at peak.
Heck, most never will reach the peak (unless you thrust the commercial that the flashlight is brighter (more lumens) then the sun, and reach 5 km)

My 5500 watt inverter can do peaks of, and over 5500 watt.
But if I would try to drain 5500 watt from it for an hour or so...
Pretty sure I will see magic smoke soon.
At 4000? Not a problem.

Push 60A continuous for 3-4 hours a day (sunny Thailand) isn't a good idea for this unit.
Not with the fan and heatsinks..
But hey...
What do you expect for 100 bucks?

Modification is simple.
They even sell without casing, so you can beef it up.

For price / quality...
Good product.

Only reason why I chose PowMR over Blue Sky, is because this negativity towards the competition.
At that time PowMR was even a bit more expensive then Blue.....

Again.... (@DestroyFX )

What's with the negativity.
Rip-off version ???

Please provide the PROOF
your claim for sky-blue as original inventor and better quality.

I know they scream that all over the internet.
Without proof.

PowMR doesn't need to paint the competition black.
The quality of their products and competitive pricing puts blue sky in the dark sky modus ?

Apparently they (blue sky) need that.

What are we talking about??
5 -10% price difference...
$107 Vs $100 for similar machine.

I used the powMR with 9 (3x3) 345W panels, the performance was better then the Sorotec Revo II hybrid that has internal MPPT.
Simple math would make that little over 60A.
Also with 9 X 325w panels (3*3)
Simple math will make that little under 60A
(with lifepo4 51.2 nominal voltage.
While charging, voltage goes up/over 56v, what would make that 55.5 and 52A.)

Ease of chain 9 panels made me choose for the Revo II.

With +14kw on solar panels, I have a lot of overhead.
(My system is built for the clouded days, not the sunny ones, as we have no alternative backup)
(+50 kWh LiFePO4)
Proof is in first page of this thread https://diysolarforum.com/threads/powmr-are-still-ripoff-beware.43094 (pictures).

Why do New PowMr model do endup with makeskyblue PCB one year after makeskyblue release the product?

Plus,
Why do PowMr (old thin-can model that look like makeskyblue) do run makeskyblue firmware (an old version, V113)?
Can be from reverse engineering to remake an identical product or maybe they buy pcb leaks from the factory that produce the makeskyblue one, that is a common practice in china too. But whatever they do, they shipped it with a very outdated firmware (Unit stop charging for no reason, for many users). MakeSkyBlue used to have that bug too but they fixed the firmware. That fixe never ended in PowMr product as they continued to ship with V113 when makeskyblue was shipping V120...

Last edited:
New PowMr, the one that have a nice new exterior that don't look like a thin can, did release with the same PCB than what makeskyblue was using, but about a year after... If the PowMr was not a ripoff, I would expect them to ship with the new PCB before makeskyblue and not the other way around.

Note : I am still looking to get a firmware dump from the new PowMr to see what they run in that last model. If it's running makeskyblue firmware 120 then it could be exacly that same as the makeskyblue as the PCB look identical (component quality on the PCB could vary, I don't have that new PowMr unit to do an extended analyse)

Finally, not only PowMr is using makeskyblue design.

Actually a ton of other clones exist. A lot of them are sold as "makeskyblue" with is worst than what PowMr do

PowMr seam to make be best clone so far. And it seam to be one of the most popular brand for cheap SCC.

But personally I would not buy a chinese clone of another chinese product, especially when it ship with a very outdated firmware. It's probably what allow PowMr to have a lower price as they just copy the design one time then run the same for all that product line until they copy the last model to release a new model (Thin can model vs new nicer looking model), with is what they seam to have done in that case (see first page pictures).

Just less money going bye bye in R&D so lower sales price.
* PowMr thin can (V113) -> new nicer looking model (Probably makeskyblue V120)
* Makeskyblue V112->V113->V114->V115->V116->V117->V118->V119->V120->V121 (with PCB change for some version, probably why PowMr got stuck with V113 because it's probably the PCB they copied for the thin can version)

Proof is in first page of this thread https://diysolarforum.com/threads/powmr-are-still-ripoff-beware.43094 (pictures).

Why do New PowMr model do endup with makeskyblue PCB one year after makeskyblue release the product?

Plus,
Why do PowMr (old thin-can model that look like makeskyblue) do run makeskyblue firmware (an old version, V113)?
Can be from reverse engineering to remake an identical product or maybe they buy pcb leaks from the factory that produce the makeskyblue one, that is a common practice in china too. But whatever they do, they shipped it with a very outdated firmware (Unit stop charging for no reason, for many users). MakeSkyBlue used to have that bug too but they fixed the firmware. That fixe never ended in PowMr product as they continued to ship with V113 when makeskyblue was shipping V120...
Your "proof" is a screenshot of a YouTube video that show 2 different PCB design, and you decided that the PowMR is clone from...

Lol.

Why not share the actual video?

And what does all the firmware update tell us?
Not much, except apparently there was a need for it in blue sky's..
Where the PowMR solid design that no longer needs tweaking.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I haven't been at either company, didn't see their R&D developments, production lines or anything.
I'm guessing you haven't either.

Without any real proof...
We know that copying is considered normal and art in China.

A copy of a painting is worth more then the original (except Mona Lisa ??)

Also the speed...
There is the right way to develop things and the fast way.
Germans are known for their "Right way" and customers aren't field beta testers.
For China, most new products are alpha and beta tested in the field, where the customers aren't informed they are the testing team for Q&A...

We know the results.
Victron (the Netherlands) needs to ask $750
Both Chinese units, around $100.

To make a claim about extended more and better R&D / Q&A, pricing isn't this close.
Less then 10% end price...
So we talk about cents different per unit building costs.

Actually...
It would not surprise me at all if both are from the same owner.

70% of all Chinese hybrid inverters are voltronic.

"Brands" just slap their name on it and fantasise some upgraded specifications.

Must, EASun, list is long.

I see 2 totally different different products that both use standardised tin can, a casing that's used for AC+DC power supplies (I know, I have one) and probably 100 other electronic devices.

That is as far as the comparison goes.
Firmware in a Mercedes is different from BMW.
Both cars...
Who is a clone from who?
Different inside, just used the same tin can..

I'm looking forward to see that video from the screenshot where the PowMR PCB has the letters "Blue Sky" :)

Otherwise you are just comparing apples and oranges, and decided for us that oranges are a clone off apples, and inferior:)

I have 2 of the PowMr units, have been using them for many years.

I don't have the money or geography to really push them so I can't really say much on that, but they're both working fine turning solar DC into battery DC which was all I wanted.

Back when I first sprung for MPPT ( and this site didn't exist yet) the average price of poly panels was $2+ per watt and that was the cheap stuff! An MPPT for less than $100 was a win for me.

I've stepped up to different brands since then ( EPEver, Weize, HQST) for other builds now that they're more affordable, but I still have my PowMr's in service.

I'll never pay for Victron though, I work for a living.

Who cares,. don't like it, buy Victron. Go into serious credit card debt, to do it. Fangpusun is just as reliable, as are Epever. You guys suckered into thinking the "American" brands are American made or American components are going to be in for a rude awakening.

They are ALL Chinese companies. ALL OF THEM!!!
Victron Chinese?
Please do your homework.

I'm sure some components are made in China, nothing that crazy as Apple who is only American owned.

Yes, Victron is expensive, everything works as it should at once.
Almost all China "crap" there are a lot of concessions to be made. Eventually with some (or a lot) tinkering it will work relative close to specifications.

For many people (including myself) that is good enough.
Development goes fast. Just compare 3 years ago and now...

Now the new products often work!
60A is indeed 60A and no longer peak 60A for 5 minutes and magic smoke...
Specifications no longer inflated.
(Less inflated)

If you don't like tinkering (then you probably aren't on this DIY forum) lacking the skill set, many Chinese products will leave you with a bad taste.

If you understand that many times specifications aren't realistic (like advertisement where a flashlight producing more lumens then the sun) and are flexible and creative enough to work around this..
They can be a really good product, if you manage your expectations.

Not everyone can.
For them.. Victron/ outback..

And yes, they will have some Chinese components. Capacitors, resistors...

If that is the reason to call it Chinese, then your mobile phone, laptop, computer and tablet are Dutch.
ASML is a "Chip machine" maker from the Netherlands that produces all the machines that make this high end smart devices ...

And yes, the iphone processor isn't made in China, but in Taiwan...

:)

It will take some time before our hybrid inverter will need that much processing power that it requires an ASML waffle machine :cool:

I may be a bit late to this thread, I am owner of 3 60A MakeSkyBlue MPPT's for a year now and am happy with them, they survived a reverse battery AND reverse PV input (needed to swap 2 diodes for 0.10€ but they even provided me with the needed Part number).

has anyone actually done a test on both side by side to see which unit is better? let the companies work out the problems in court I just want the best product for my money.

Last edited:
has anyone actually done a test on both side by side to see which unit is better? let the companies work out the problems in court I just want the best product for my money.
my update on the powmr/makeskyblue controller:
so I did some research on this issue watched a dozen videos on comparison, performance ect. found that even though the powmr and makeskyblue look like each other they have some difference. I also found that both companies have been in business for awhile and have allot of good products for solor. from what I could see there is no dispute between the 2 companies as far as litigation infringements or law suites. for the price both are priced for those who can't afford higher end products for me I need a little more control and safety. I couldn't find any reviews of failure or bad performance both products performed as stated in the owners manual

I could afford something like a Victron MPPT, I just dont accept the price 😂
from what I can tell from watching a dozen reviews this product is reliable and priced really well and the pow mr is on sale right now for $99.00

Last edited:
Well, i own 3 makeskyblue.
They have the latest firmware, and work well enough for me.
Who invented it? Idk, only issue i have had is when left in the rain, they fail...

My bad.

Back