diy solar

diy solar

manual transfer switch ?

eddy c

installed the transfer switch in the attached picture seamed straight forward 3 in 3 out each side. but the switch is back feeding 28 volts to the open side ?
looks like i got the incorrect switch just cked the part # and this is a 3 phase switch oops. anyone got a good line on the proper switch?
thanks in advance

Attachments

• transfer switch.jpg
    transfer switch.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 21
i found there are a lot of these switches on be careful which one you get. the one i got looked straight forward
12 connectors one side closes one side open. went back thru my order and realized i purchased a 3 phase switch don't know what difference this would make but it back feeds 28 volts to the open side the new switch i have purchased is
https://www.amazon.com/APIELE-Warra...67F2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1
i haven't installed it as of yet but i belive my issue was user issue

What is the intent of this manual transfer switch?

Looks like AC and is rated to 20 amps, so seems like it would be good to switch between a 2000 watt inverter and a 20 amp RV plug, but not higher amperages. I almost ordered a switch like that for DC switching project, but the manufacturer could only say “I think it will work for DC.” With the price of DC switches I dropped my project.

It's a switch type that is used lots in industrial motor control-that's where the 3 phase comes from. Switch type has been used on boats for many decades to transfer genny and shore power.
There should not have been any backfeed on eddy c's install, may have been a bad switch or just ghost readings. I use a no-name brand 3 pole for my 30a transfer-2 poles for the hot and neutral and 1 pole to disconnect the converter.

]
There should not have been any backfeed on eddy c's install, may have been a bad switch or just ghost readings. I use a no-name brand 3 pole for my 30a transfer-2 poles for the hot and neutral and 1 pole to disconnect the converter.

So you mean like a readable voltage but even a small resistor inline would make it read “0” I assume?
I’m scared of ‘ghost currents’ - many years ago something wasn’t right in a house and breaker off I got pinged pretty good. In testing there was like 50VAC somehow leaking somewhere maybe even at the pole; voltage on the meter but black must have been connected across somewhere to get past the breaker. And the clamp at the water meter had 50v too.

Ghost power is either something bad or impossible- or a capacitor somewhere.

I certainly wasn't trying to suggest it was nothing to troubleshoot further, I hope it didn't read that way....

I used the 63 amp switch from the link to amazon, the 3 phase 3 leg was what I wanted, completely isolates GNH from inverter to shore/generator. Been installed for over a year now and ran roof ac on shore power for over a week last summer and the switch stayed cold

I used the 63 amp switch from the link to amazon, the 3 phase 3 leg was what I wanted, completely isolates GNH from inverter to shore/generator. Been installed for over a year now and ran roof ac on shore power for over a week last summer and the switch stayed cold
do you have a link? incase the new one i ordered will not work ?

Yes it is in your 4th post and it would be the 63A 12 terminal switch in the list of switched available

Back