diy solar

diy solar

Matching Solar Panels to the LV6548

HGPilot

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect 2 strings(without issues) of solar panels in the following configuration: 5S2P on one MPPT controller and 5S only on the second one to the LV6548 inverter?

Manual says the following:

image001.png

I would use 15 panels (CS1H-340MS) arranged in an unbalanced configuration (space restrains) where Solar Input #1 would have 10 panels in 5S2P config and the Solar Input #2 would have only 5 panels connected in series.

Are there any downsides or issues that you may know of for this type of arrangement?

https://www.canadiansolar.com/wp-co.../Canadian_Solar-Datasheet-HiDM_CS1H-MS_EN.pdf

Thanks!

A

If you haven't already, I would watch this video Will made a while ago.

You also have to make sure the amperage doesn't exceed the controllers max amperage.
When you connect panels in parallel, the amperage adds up, just like how Will explains the voltage adding up for series strings.

Last edited:
The video doesn't cover the LV6548 with two inputs. I planned to do what HGpilot is doing. One input with 4 series the other 3 in series, 2 strings. If it has 2 inputs it should be ok but the manual makes one believe it wouldn't be.

The video doesn't cover the LV6548 with two inputs. I planned to do what HGpilot is doing. One input with 4 series the other 3 in series, 2 strings. If it has 2 inputs it should be ok but the manual makes one believe it wouldn't be.

The point of the video is to learn how to design your system based on the specs of the controller.. Look at the specs of the LV6548 and calculate the voltage and amperage of your array. If those do not exceed the specs, you will be fine. Just make sure you take the voltage temperature coefficient into consideration.

The point of the video is to learn how to design your system based on the specs of the controller.. Look at the specs of the LV6548 and calculate the voltage and amperage of your array. If those do not exceed the specs, you will be fine. Just make sure you take the voltage temperature coefficient into consideration.
The math is easy but in the lv6548 recommended configuration, they don't show a mixing of panel numbers.
Example, input 1, 6 panels. Input 2, 3 panels. Or 5S2P on Input 1 and 5S on Input 2. If voltage is below max and amps below max, is ok?

The math is easy but in the lv6548 recommended configuration, they don't show a mixing of panel numbers.
Example, input 1, 6 panels. Input 2, 3 panels. Or 5S2P on Input 1 and 5S on Input 2. If voltage is below max and amps below max, is ok?

It's just a recommendation, they can't list every possibility.

Found this informative article, note the table addressing what can be done with a two MPPT inverter, although not MPP Solar specific, I would say this article addresses all two MPPT input inverters.

Last edited:
Hi Clifton,
Were you able to test unbalanced setup by any chance yet?
Any recent updates or new experiences?
Cheers

Back