diy solar

diy solar

max batteries in parallel

moonlight23

I'll be using 8x SOK 48v batteries with a Sol-Ark 15k hybrid inverter. Is there a maximum number of batteries I can hook up in parallel because of any limitations, such as cable or bus bar size? The inverter has 2 battery terminals, and the manual states that 275A of battery charge/discharge if using both sets of battery terminals, or 160A if using one terminal set. Additional questions:

1. Would it be better to use two banks of 4 batteries to each terminal set (left diagram), or one large bank of 8 batteries going to both terminal sets (right diagram)?
2. How about for 9 batteries? two banks of 4 and 5 batteries, or one large 9 bank?

Attachments

• battery configuration.png
    battery configuration.png
    167.8 KB · Views: 32
What loads are you supplying? Is the need for multiple packs for duration of insolation and low PV or are you trying to maintain large loads?

What loads are you supplying? Is the need for multiple packs for duration of insolation and low PV or are you trying to maintain large loads?

Mostly large loads. I'm in California where it's mostly sunny throughout the year. I'm planning for worst case scenario: EV charging, A/C running, cooking on induction stove, and hot water heat pump running all at the same time.

Just trying to see which battery arrangement is best.

Last edited:
For that many I would connect to a bus. Then single connection to the inverter. Inverter shows two input so two wires actually.

Not sure if there is reason to slip into two banks of batteries or how inverter might divide the load. Since the connection seems to have communication to the battery... need to verify the maximum for communication. With 4+ in parallel I would also have a separate fuse off each battery. Keep the connecting cables equal to each battery for balance.

Mostly large loads. I'm in California where it's mostly sunny throughout the year. I'm planning for worst case scenario: EV charging, A/C running, cooking on induction stove, and hot water heat pump running all at the same time.

Just trying to see which battery arrangement is best.
So sounds like you need to use both terminals and two banks.

I’ve asked nearly the same question over here.

Post in thread 'System Layout Questions Sol Ark 15k and EG4 Batteries'
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/s...l-ark-15k-and-eg4-batteries.48156/post-646571

It’s my current, and subject to change, understanding that if you surged above 160a without the load shared between both positive battery leads on the Sol-Ark, you will trip the 200amp breaker in the Sol-Ark.

I also think engineer 775 ran into this exact issue during his video.

I’d love to confirm my understanding, has anyone else had this exact question?

Back