diy solar

diy solar

MC4 Connectors & Crimper

rjolicoeur

What are the best brands of MC4 connectors?
Are open or closed barrel connectors better?
Which brand and type of crimper and jaws are good for each type?

Thank you!

Staubli is one that was recommended as a high quality don’t mix and match brands either use the ones on the panels or replace them all or at least verify they are compatible

Staubli is one that was recommended as a high quality don’t mix and match brands either use the ones on the panels or replace them all or at least verify they are compatible
agreed, use staubil exclusively, after learning my lesson and having a pair melt

Staubil is decent stuff. I also have good experiences with Weidmuller. Their PV Stick is one of their models which doesn't require special crimpers.

Staubil is decent stuff. I also have good experiences with Weidmuller. Their PV Stick is one of their models which doesn't require special crimpers.

Those are cool!

never heard of them, but looks awesome....
you have used these?

with crimping you know when they are good, however how does one tell with these ?

Staubli is the "crescent wrench" of MC4 connectors. No, really. They own the trademark on "MC4". They are the real deal.

Any other "MC4" connector is technically a counterfeit.

Staubli is the "crescent wrench" of MC4 connectors. No, really. They own the trademark on "MC4". They are the real deal.

Any other "MC4" connector is technically a counterfeit.
Isn't MC4 a standard like DB9, RS232, or 1394?

Back to the OP, I've been happy with my BougeRV kits. Affordable, durable, and as long as you remember which end goes in which everything is nice and tight.

FYI, Staubli has two different MC4 connectors (see link below). They both have the word "Original" in their name, but there are no other MC4 connectors from them that are "newer", as in not original. I supposed they have "Original" in the name to differentiate them from everyone else's MC4 knock off connectors. Anyhow, given the issues that have come up with MC4 connector incompatibilities, next time I'm implementing new solar panels, I may cut off the OEM MC4 connectors unless I can verify that they are genuine Staubli.

Those Evo2 ones are a pain to disassemble. I've got both on different arrays. The Evo2 have a tab covering the release tangs. I should say "had" as I cut them off (the plastic tab blocking the release, not the entire MC4) when I had to disassemble a few connections.

I've become proficient at unhooking my MC4 connectors without a tool. I guess that makes me the tool? :eek:

I haven't seen any of the Evo2 connectors in the wild, so I have no experience with them.

Sorry to resurect an old thread, but this is right on-topic for me. How do you identify which brand of connector you have? I have some that are marked with an underlined triangle, does that mean anything?

Attachments

• IMG_20240318_115347_231-a.jpg
    IMG_20240318_115347_231-a.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 15
FWIW, the connectors I bought from TEMCo Industrial have the same triangle-ish symbol, but say R4 under that symbol. Otherwise, there are no brand or manufacturer marks that I can find on mine.

FWIW, the connectors I bought from TEMCo Industrial have the same triangle-ish symbol, but say R4 under that symbol. Otherwise, there are no brand or manufacturer marks that I can find on mine.

Right, I have some BoughRV cables and a box of brand-less connectors; both have the same triangle markings. I also thought that "MC4" was a standard, so wasn't paying attention to brand when I bought them, thinking that everything was pretty interchangable.

I just realized that when searching Amazon for "MC4 connectors", pretty much every item in the results listed products as "Solar Panel Connectors" or some variation. Maybe they're trying to avoid a trademark infringement.

MC4 is a "standard" that is used in the solar industry. However MC4 is a trademark of Stäubli Electrical Connectors AG.

Mixing brands of connectors usually works, but I've found that using the same brand on both sides tends to make for easier disconnects than if different brands are on each side.

I love the Wirefy Crimping Tool (you need the MC4 Crimping Die I2 also) and the Klein wire stripper for 10AWG solar wires. I've crimped about 70 MC4 connections and it's an easy and professional job with these tools. I'm using the 12AWG crimp Die socket to crimp the 10AWG wires to be sure it's tight enough and it works great. The BougeRV MC4 connectors with open barrel are really nice, tight and sealed!

1710785072975.png 1710785110386.png

1710785140189.png 1710785205641.png

Back