diy solar

diy solar

Mean Well TN-1500-112F Battery Suggestion

Cziggy

Hello Everyone

Im a bit out of my element on this one and need some advice. So I purchased a Mean Well TN-1500-112F Inverter/Charger/Solar Controller. Its an all in one unit which is super handy for my project and right now Im trying to figure out if I can use a LiFePO4 or if Ill need to stay with a Lead Acid. I know that LiFePO4 has a different charging profile when compared to Lead Acid and how I shouldn't trickle charge a LiFePO4. This Charger/Inverter though gives me the ability to manually set the Float and Equalization voltages.

https://www.meanwell.com/Upload/PDF/TN-1500/TN-1500-SPEC.PDF (Page 3)

Is this something I can leverage to put in a LiFePO4. I ultimately have no issue going Lead Acid but if I can make the switch to LiFePO4, then that would be awesome as my discharge rate is fairly low so I dont see myself hitting the peukert effect. Thanks for the advice.

And on a side note since I know this inverter was built for Lead Acid the settings give me options to change the Equalization voltage and Floating voltage and for LiFePO4, my understanding is you dont want Equalization, so if I was to set the Equalization and Float to the same 13.5V value, would this possibly work? And charge voltages is 14.3v which seems good.

Im basing these voltages off a 12v 100ah BattleBorn as an example
Accepted Voltages:
  • Charging voltage: 14.2 – 14.6 V
  • Float voltage: 13.6 V or lower

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

The AC/solar charge voltages are acceptable for LFP. The profile is not so different that you can't use FLA/AGM chargers, you just have to check.

Equalization and float to 13.5V is acceptable. If it forces an equalization higher than that, you could set to 14.3 or 14.4 and still be fine.

Given the max Voc input, I would assume it is a PWM charge controller unless otherwise documented.

Back