diy solar

diy solar

Megarevo RxLNA Discussion

@daffyjoel - I was able to extract info from the ModBus registers and the RS485/Ethernet gateway, but the Home Assistant (https://www.home-assistant.io/) way would be much less work! In the threads there is a yaml file that defines the modbus registers and their English equivalents (p18/19) - fromport and NCSolarGarage talk about it.

Once the firmware upgrade enabled proper data collection using the WiFi dongle, I stayed with the pro.solarmanpv.com site. I'd like to do Home Assistant, it's just low on the list of priorities.

My unit's been running in Peak Shift mode (or Weak Shift according to the display) for a few months now and has been doing the right thing.
Mine i just new they send a new firmware just 2 days ago.. i have talking with support because mine no matter what i do .. it doesnt read and charge the battery from PV .. all the time . Like yesterday was everything perfect and today nothing is change .. and it simply dont charge the battery from PV .. maybe tomoroow it works who knows .. mine is working offgrid but he only charge the battery from Pv like a surprise who know when .. i have plenty of battery that i can be 2 days wothout chargings. But i still not been able to find the setup that charge all the time with PV .... No matter what mode i use

Mine i just new they send a new firmware just 2 days ago.. i have talking with support because mine no matter what i do .. it doesnt read and charge the battery from PV .. all the time . Like yesterday was everything perfect and today nothing is change .. and it simply dont charge the battery from PV .. maybe tomoroow it works who knows .. mine is working offgrid but he only charge the battery from Pv like a surprise who know when .. i have plenty of battery that i can be 2 days wothout chargings. But i still not been able to find the setup that charge all the time with PV .... No matter what mode i use
A few pages back there was a post about making setting in lead acid, then go back to lithium mode.

I only assume you are using lithium? Does the BMS communicate with MR? If no I think you have to use lead acid settings.

What version of firmware are you showing now that you have updated?

A few pages back there was a post about making setting in lead acid, then go back to lithium mode.

I only assume you are using lithium? Does the BMS communicate with MR? If no I think you have to use lead acid settings.

What version of firmware are you showing now that you have updated?
I do that but in this firmware it reads the bms correctly when you go back to lithium you have to setup again so is reading good ..

Attachments

• IMG-20221014-WA0121.jpeg
    IMG-20221014-WA0121.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 15
They just released support for megarevo 8k inverter. I was notified this morning:

Yes but from what port they read and manage the MR because the main problem on that inverter is that you cant setup remotly and the app is crazy slow to read

*WHAT A MESS*

This morning I switched from self supply to Peak shift.
My ToU times:
peak power: 2pm-8pm
off peak power: 8PM -10PM & 8AM-2PM
super off peak: 10PM-8AM

I have 20kWh usable battery capacity. I limit battery charging to 100 amps x 51 volt (15S batteries) = 5100 Wh per hour charging.
I have set Dod to 20% so I will drain only 16kWh from the batteries max.
So I setup timer 1 like this:
Charge Start: 10:00
Charge End: 13:59

So my batteries will have 4 hours to charge them with 5.1Kw/h so with the rest of my PV setup should be able to charge completely from SOLAR.
On cloudy days I will charge from the grid at off peak power.
at 2pm my batteries were charged to 95% , nice
Disc Start: 14:00
Disc End: 20:00

That is my most expensive rate so I want to use that from my batteries.
I had to work so I left (i know, pretty dumb) and left early after changing the settings.
Well, this is what happened :
At 2PM it switched to discharging mode.
View attachment 116261

Since PV was going down, it supplemented what PV could not made from the batteries!
But why ?! The load was less than 1000 watt and the rest of available solar should have been exporting to the grid!

View attachment 116262
at 4:30 it was pulling almost 5kW AC from the batteries and feeding it into the grid
:-(

When I arrived home at 5:15 noticed it and quickly changed back to self supply mode.
Batteries are now discharged to 49% and will not be able to pull me through the night on the current charge.

So like the previous report, the inverter was powering 5KW to the grid. I assume that is related to the 100 amp CHARGING current limit I set.
My batteries & inverter could have done 8kW if needed.

This is all so weird, I have to think about this.
So far I am not overly impressed with the whole MR concept.
I am thinking about instead of getting a second one, getting one of the luxpower(or relabled GSL) 12k inverters.

What a bummer...
For some reason mine somedays doenst charge from pv... But i fix the problem that it goes to grid mine dont use grid now but before was staying on grid any time he wants .. i have the work mode self consume... But i have my question on how to setup the dod settings... Plus to let you know something that i found is that the charger setting on the batt setting is for the charger controller not AC charger .. check the anitecerse or arc ..

Yes but from what port they read and manage the MR because the main problem on that inverter is that you cant setup remotly and the app is crazy slow to read
The raspberry pie app runs on an appliance connected directly to the inverter's communication port. It is not "online" like Solarman. Also, Solar Assistant is not for managing the inverter. It is for getting better data out of the inverter than what Solarman provides, which is laughable!

The raspberry pie app runs on an appliance connected directly to the inverter's communication port. It is not "online" like Solarman. Also, Solar Assistant is not for managing the inverter. It is for getting better data out of the inverter than what Solarman provides, which is laughable!
Megarevo and solarman app to be honest for an app like that it was better dont do nothing... this is the first inverter that i have that the app is just to see not to setup ...is like you said a crap

Last edited:
@jsmetalcraft - you'll need to find a circular 4-pin adapter to plug into the slot where the Solarman (IGEN) stick-logger goes. Circular Connector: Pin 1 = Positive 5 Volts, Pin 2 = Ground, Pin 3 = RS485+, Pin 4 = RS485-. For the life of me, I can't find out what the spec of the adapter is to order one. You can then just use a Raspberry Pi or similar with the Waveshare RS485<->Ethernet adapter and pymodbus to hoover up all metrics from the Megarevo. Some folks have done some pretty neat graphing of the metrics.
Solar Assistant has added support for Megarevo.

@jsmetalcraft - you'll need to find a circular 4-pin adapter to plug into the slot where the Solarman (IGEN) stick-logger goes. Circular Connector: Pin 1 = Positive 5 Volts, Pin 2 = Ground, Pin 3 = RS485+, Pin 4 = RS485-. For the life of me, I can't find out what the spec of the adapter is to order one. You can then just use a Raspberry Pi or similar with the Waveshare RS485<->Ethernet adapter and pymodbus to hoover up all metrics from the Megarevo. Some folks have done some pretty neat graphing of the metrics.
Actually is Pin 1 = 5v, Pin 2= RS485_A, Pin 3= RS485_B, Pin 4 = GND

It is finally time to up size my PV. I know people have had issues with these inverters, but most of mine seem to be resolved since the parallel firmware was released. I am off grid so I avoid a lot of issues that relate to selling back or switching between solar/battery/grid. I still have a ground mount string connected, but will be adding 5 series strings of 8 panels. These are 330w Q.Cells from an old solar farm installation that was either decommissioned or upgraded, not sure.

Screenshot_20221018_112253.jpg

It is finally time to up size my PV. I know people have had issues with these inverters, but most of mine seem to be resolved since the parallel firmware was released. I am off grid so I avoid a lot of issues that relate to selling back or switching between solar/battery/grid. I still have a ground mount string connected, but will be adding 5 series strings of 8 panels. These are 330w Q.Cells from an old solar farm installation that was either decommissioned or upgraded, not sure.

View attachment 116884
Nice!

Hello, I have bought a Megarevo rebranded Bluesun Pv. Unfortunately the internal communication board is broken (there are traces of burned elements). Thus it is impossible to communicate with the lithium battery Bms, the only way to have the system working is to use it with lead acid battery settings (since this do not require to communicate with the Bms) , I set the voltage to be in the range of lifepo4. Will this damage my batteries? It is better to simply disconnect batteries until I can fix the comunication board? Or there are better alternatives?

Hello, I have bought a Megarevo rebranded Bluesun Pv. Unfortunately the internal communication board is broken (there are traces of burned elements). Thus it is impossible to communicate with the lithium battery Bms, the only way to have the system working is to use it with lead acid battery settings (since this do not require to communicate with the Bms) , I set the voltage to be in the range of lifepo4. Will this damage my batteries? It is better to simply disconnect batteries until I can fix the comunication board? Or there are better alternatives?
If you have a PCB with evidence of burning, _I_ would not trust _any_ performance of that unit to be valid/safe.
I would wait for a new printed circuit board and then start using it again.
That board might not only do BMS communication but might also get/set info for the A/D converters to read the lead acid voltage setting.
Too much too lose, don't even go there (again: my opinion)
Do you know what happened that it burned up?

I have diy LiFePO4 batteries running in Lead Acid mode. It is no problem. Just be sure to set your values properly. Whether or not the unit is safe, that's another issue.

Actually is Pin 1 = 5v, Pin 2= RS485_A, Pin 3= RS485_B, Pin 4 = GND
@dayala - it depends on which diagram you're looking at. The one on Solar Assistant has that layout, but the pinout on the actual Solarman Datalogger is different.

Attachments

• com-port-b6e40dcf274662aeafed1f38aa78931a.png
    com-port-b6e40dcf274662aeafed1f38aa78931a.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4546.jpeg
    IMG_4546.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 8
I do that but in this firmware it reads the bms correctly when you go back to lithium you have to setup again so is reading good ..
Hi - I had the same problem and it was my network cable that was wrong between battery BMS and inverter - pins were not setup correctly, I am using pylontech battery. BMS requires pin 1,2,3 null (not connected) and 45678 connected.

How to setup the megarevo inverter in such a way that batteries are not charged or discharges from/to the grid? In in-grid mode if I put self consume, the batteries take more than 20A from the grid, if instead I put peak shift with discharge time the all day the batteries send 20A to the grid.

If I work off-grid charging and discharging is normal and depends only on PV and loads.

Does this behavior depends on the CT's?

How to setup the megarevo inverter in such a way that batteries are not charged or discharges from/to the grid? In in-grid mode if I put self consume, the batteries take more than 20A from the grid, if instead I put peak shift with discharge time the all day the batteries send 20A to the grid.

If I work off-grid charging and discharging is normal and depends only on PV and loads.

Does this behavior depends on the CT's?
I have mine in self consume mode.
I have 23 kWh of batteries & 9kW of PV connected.
My batteries are charged only by PV.
Once the batteries are fully charged, it starts exporting to the grid ( net metering)
Screenshot_20221025-044516-885.png

Could the direction of your cts be wrong?

I have mine in self consume mode.
I have 23 kWh of batteries & 9kW of PV connected.
My batteries are charged only by PV.
Once the batteries are fully charged, it starts exporting to the grid ( net metering)
View attachment 117780

Could the direction of your cts be wrong?
I check the CT's and now it is working better, the only problem is that the grid is still used, around 100-200W. Not a big number but multiplied by 24h it is a fairly big amount. Any suggestion on how to limit this? May it help to use a meter instead of the CT like the SDM630 Modbus v2?

If you have a PCB with evidence of burning, _I_ would not trust _any_ performance of that unit to be valid/safe.
I would wait for a new printed circuit board and then start using it again.
That board might not only do BMS communication but might also get/set info for the A/D converters to read the lead acid voltage setting.
Too much too lose, don't even go there (again: my opinion)
Do you know what happened that it burned up?
Do you know where it is possible to find a replacement board for the bms and wifi communication? The supplier didn't reply to me. There is a third party compatible board?IMG_20221020_135943.jpgIMG_20221020_140029.jpgIMG_20221020_140136.jpg

Do you know where it is possible to find a replacement board for the bms and wifi communication? The supplier didn't reply to me. There is a third party compatible board?
Those printed circuit boards are so specific, only the manufacturer will have a real replacement.
If they lack communication, and the fact it burned out (you never responded to my question if you knew what happened why it burned up in the first place) , it might be time for a new/different brand replacement?!

hola, alguien ha usado el puerto gen de estos megarevo. Estoy trabajando con dos unidades en paralelo. Intenté cargar con un generador a través de las conexiones del generador pero no hace nada, cambié a conectar el generador a la entrada de la red y el resultado es que todavía no puedo cargar mis baterías. Soy de grilla no hay acceso a la red. Estoy tratando de usar mi generador.

I check the CT's and now it is working better, the only problem is that the grid is still used, around 100-200W. Not a big number but multiplied by 24h it is a fairly big amount. Any suggestion on how to limit this? May it help to use a meter instead of the CT like the SDM630 Modbus v2?
This is the normal operation. You need a little of grid fed in to counteract reactions to loads. While other brands let you adjust the amount fed in the MR does not have that feature in programming. Even at 100 watts if you have a big induction load, like hot water heater, when it shuts off you get a little spike of a few seconds of feed into the grid because the 5k load shuts off instantly. The MR is supplying the load and can't react fast enough to reduce the output. The 100 watts fed in gives a bit of a buffer in a case like this.

diy solar

diy solar
Back