diy solar

diy solar

Megarevo RxLNA Discussion

I had a day with maintenance from my utility company (pole replacement)
Screenshot from 2023-11-10 09-43-04.png
Around 9 AM power was cut, until roughly 8 PM.
During the day PV was able to provide all the power needed and even charge the batteries a bit more to 95%.
After sunset batteries took over. I cooked dinner etc on the induction stove and running the oven while fridge & 2 freezers were running. No problems there.
When power was restored it waited till cheap time-of-use (10PM) to start charging the batteries again.
I am impressed with that part.

I just wish I could get the part configured where it will use batteries to power the house from 2PM - 10PM instead of using power from the grid like it now does.
It seems I am not able to get that part configured.

Well after 1Y and 163D, one of my MR8k blew up. I wasn't sure if I was going to post about it until I solved the issue. I have over 15MW thru these inverters. I'm not very hopeful that I'll receive support from my distributor (GSL) but I did contact them. I had two inverters in parallel running off-grid with zero major issues before this. I turned one off for a firmware update and heard 3 loud pops and it shut off. Its been disconnected and isolated and I moved my PV strings to the other inverter for now.

Luckily, I still have the 2nd unit going with parallel disabled since I don't have grid connection. This is surely going to limit my power usage until I can get another one shipped out.

I am trying to figure out how certain Megarevo settings that deal with the power use (bat versus grid versus solar) and the grid protect settings work. I am setting up a R8LNA unit to work on Self Use and to maximize solar output as much as possible, reaching over to the grid whenever necessary. Another issue I have to deal with is the constant voltage variations that come from the power utility. In short, the issues I am dealing with are the following:

1. Tried to use the new "Forced Offgrid" setting. It worked as expected until sun-battery was not enough and needed the support of the grid. When the system connected to the grid the supply of power was limited to the load, that is, it did not charge the batteries. Charging the batteries when it goes into grid tied mode is a must, since an alternate power supply for loads and charging would be necessary at nighttime.

2. Since the "Forced Offgrid" mode did not charge the batteries when it tied to the grid, I opted for the "Self Use" mode. I played around with the % power settings for the pv, the batteries and the grid and managed to reduce to zero the bac feeding to the grid (well, the readings are in fractions of watts, perhaps due to stray current and seem to be necessary to keep the inverter sync'ed with the grid). The system behaves as expected, but I am eager to learn how the % mix works, as I only got to work as needed after much trial and readjustments. The specific settings I am referring to are the "Grid Support SOC" found on the "Battery Energy Management Custon Tab" when in Solarman "Local Mode", and the "PV Power", "Grid Power" and "Battery Discharge Power" found both in the "Local Mode" and in the screen setting pages (and also reachable from Solar Assistant).

3. I am trying to deal with an unreliable grid that most every night supplies voltage that exceeds 120VAC (it is not uncommon for both L1 and L2 to reach 134VAC and stay there for several hours). If I keep the default settings for the US grid supply standard, an "Alert" comes up at 132VAC, that seems to follow the "VAC HV1 Trip" setting of 110% found on the "Grid Protect Set" while on Solarman Local Mode. I already found out how to deal with that end, and at the client request and at his own risk, adjusted that trip point to 115%. That change works with the client's needs, but the issue comes with the reconnecting process. The inverter will not reconnect back to the grid until the grid supply goes down below 130VAC (or thereabout). I am trying to figure out how to increase the reconnecting voltage to somewhere around 132VC -again, at the client's request and at his own risk-. Perhaps the solution is in the "Vac Pwr Start" and the "Vac Pwr Stop" settings on the same "Grid Protect Tab", but I cannot find any documentation in this area. All I found is Amensolar's recommended settings for the US and Puerto Rico grid tied systems that at the end of their user manual, but they are limited in scope to the setting of voltage and frequency triggering points and not in the connecting process.

I would appreciate it if you all share your knowledge and experience with these issues. I intend to retake the trials later today, but any meaningful input would save me much time and effort.

I am not able to figure things out what I want.
I have time of use with 3 rates: cheap-medium-expensive and I basically want to use my batteries when median or expensive and charge my batteries from grid when cheap. during the day export excessive PV to grid when batteries are full and loads are covered.
Not able to understand the settings for that.
If you figure things out, please share. I am stuck.

Thanks to Alleydog77 there is a new firmware version available.
One file is nearly one month newer than the latest EG4 supplied version, the other file is 5 days younger.
HybridInverter8KSNA_v1.4.13.B03D34_20231012.out
hybrid_appLNAV1.03.24B01D15_20230824.axf

Both extracted and complete zip file available.
Unfortunately no changelog file.
I will try and install it in the next week

Last edited:
Thanks to Alleydog77 there is a new firmware version available.
One file is nearly one month newer than the latest EG4 supplied version, the other file is 5 days younger.

Both extracted and complete zip file available.
Unfortunately no changelog file.
I will try and install it in the next week
Any updates on the firmware ? Does it solve your time of use issues ? Hoping to update my Amensolar X10 soon.

Im looking at the firmware with a hex editor and it looks interesting. If they give the source code we can do all sort of thing to this inverter. When i was a kid I used to modify cable modems and routers with self made custome firmwares. Can someone check if 99999 is actual password for more options or maintance menu? I install megarevo, but dont have one available now to test.

they used:
ARM Compiler 5.06 update 7 (build 960) Tool: ArmCC [4d365d]

1703127589920.png

Auxiliary Version:V2.74
Everything else same. I think I used SS file.

Offgrid mode, dead battery, no solar, so basically grid pass through and I was getting several disconnects from Load 1. MR didn't shut off and will charge is solar, but for some reason shuts off output to Load 1. Sometimes comes back on other times it stayed off.

Has anyone managed to get communication working with felicity battery bms? I have the lpbf48300 battery installed at a client of mine and I can't get communication working either with can or rs485. Soc stays at 0%. Leadacid profile doesnt seem to calculate soc based on voltage and capacity too ??‍♂️
MegaRevo and Felicity will not work with each other, I have tried at length. Felicity won't say if any other emulations work with their BMS, and Megarevo won't release their protocol.
The 8k unit does not, and never has worked properly in lead-acid mode, it does not calculate SOC at all, and many of the settings are ONLY available by SOC. I've been holding some of these units for 2 years now, because I can't bring myself to sell them to a client.

MegaRevo and Felicity will not work with each other, I have tried at length. Felicity won't say if any other emulations work with their BMS, and Megarevo won't release their protocol.
The 8k unit does not, and never has worked properly in lead-acid mode, it does not calculate SOC at all, and many of the settings are ONLY available by SOC. I've been holding some of these units for 2 years now, because I can't bring myself to sell them to a client.
what do you mean? Communication worked for
me with felicity battery. Did you do the correct cable wiring? For the 10kw felicity battery this is the pinout

Attachments

• a8c9542e-ba1c-4e1f-a603-1d92af91c21b.jpeg
    a8c9542e-ba1c-4e1f-a603-1d92af91c21b.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 14
What is React Mode:
1.Power Factor
2.React Power
3.QU Wave
4.QP Wave
1. Power factor sells back power at a constant power factor.
2. Reactive power sells back power at a certain percentage of reactive vs. real power.
3. QU wave changes the power factor depending on the grid voltage and the related settings V1 through V4 and Q1 through Q4. This is also known as Volt-VAR mode. It's for grid stability. When the grid voltage goes low, the inverter sells back power with the current lagging the voltage, also known as injecting VARs. When the grid voltage goes high, it absorbs VARs (current leads the voltage). This is the desired setting for most places.
4. QP wave is also known as Watt-VAR. The inverter adjusts the power factor depending on how much power the inverter is drawing or selling back. The settings P1, P2, P3, Q1, Q2, Q3, P1', P2', P3', Q1', Q2', and Q3' apply here.

1. Power factor sells back power at a constant power factor.
2. Reactive power sells back power at a certain percentage of reactive vs. real power.
3. QU wave changes the power factor depending on the grid voltage and the related settings V1 through V4 and Q1 through Q4. This is also known as Volt-VAR mode. It's for grid stability. When the grid voltage goes low, the inverter sells back power with the current lagging the voltage, also known as injecting VARs. When the grid voltage goes high, it absorbs VARs (current leads the voltage). This is the desired setting for most places.
4. QP wave is also known as Watt-VAR. The inverter adjusts the power factor depending on how much power the inverter is drawing or selling back. The settings P1, P2, P3, Q1, Q2, Q3, P1', P2', P3', Q1', Q2', and Q3' apply here.
Interesting article I found regarding Volt-VAR & Watt-VAR, although for the .au market so might be a bit different in the US.

One of the comments has link to this which is (imo) also interesting:

Back