diy solar

diy solar

Metal used for Compression

chrisski

Solar Boondocker
For those that have used metal on the sides of batteries for compression, what have you used successfully?

I am doing a build where the extra 1/2" or 3/4" by using metal instead of plywood for compression on my lithium batteries would make the build so much easier. The metal that I have found in the hardware stores is much too thin and warps. I am tempted to order a sheet of 6061 T6 aluminum because I think this is the type of metal I've seen do what I want, but at $50 usually when I buy something like that, it does not work.

You maybe already seen my post here:

6061-T651 (at 1/4" thick) on mine and that stuff is strong. The bottom set on that list are the end plates, showing I paid $34 for each, they are a bit more, but they didn't seem to deflect when I tightened them on. I suppose a piece of wood on the outside of that would make it even more rigid, although I didn't think it was necessary.

I appreciate the response. After the holidays, I may go to metal supermarkets and see if they have 1/8 inch and if it’s strong enough. That 1/4 inch I’d save would be needed.

I'm working on a build now using 10ga galvanized which works out to just over 1/8. So far I'm very happy with it, you just have to insulate it from the cells - I'm using a very thin fiberglass material called GPO-3 for that.

@chrisski , if you look around the web you can find deflection calculators. For a battery end plate, 1/4" is likely going to work just fine.

I recently priced copper at my local Metal Supermarkets. It was three times the price of MidwestSteel.com. However, MidwestSteel.com is taking their sweet time filling my order. The local guys weren't going to win any delivery races either as they stated up front it would be two weeks before they had it in their shop.

I have some 1/8" thick x 2" wide aluminum flat bar that I have been using to make welding coupons. I would be tempted to try the 1/8" aluminum flat bar, welded into an I (two horizontal straps, connected by a single vertical strap). However, it might have to be doubled up and welded together to achieve the necessary rigidity.

I used 8mm aluminum, 6061 or 6063 I forgot which at the moment, no issues. in a 16S3P (or a 3P16S) setup it works great. it also allowed me to situate small heating pads spread out over the entire clamping apparatus and bottom so that I get even heat when the temps drop below 8C. Clamping is done by 8mm stainless all thread with 240 lbs springs all tightened (calculated by spring compression to get a range of 8-14 PSI depending upon SOC. I would have uploaded photos of the build but I was sitting in the DIYSOLAR version of FB jail for pissing on gavin newsome and a few uninteresting folks in the peanut gallery.

Lifes always Fun when you Carry the EGA in one hand and your manhood in the other.

I used 8mm aluminum, 6061 or 6063 I forgot which at the moment, no issues. in a 16S3P (or a 3P16S) setup it works great. it also allowed me to situate small heating pads spread out over the entire clamping apparatus and bottom so that I get even heat when the temps drop below 8C. Clamping is done by 8mm stainless all thread with 240 lbs springs all tightened (calculated by spring compression to get a range of 8-14 PSI depending upon SOC. I would have uploaded photos of the build but I was sitting in the DIYSOLAR version of FB jail for pissing on gavin newsome and a few uninteresting folks in the peanut gallery.

Lifes always Fun when you Carry the EGA in one hand and your manhood in the other.
Hi!
I'm very interested in your setup.
Could you please share some photos?
Thanks!!

this was all prior to final wire routing and final foam placement. in the end XPS foam over all surfaces with a .5mm gap or less, usually less as I had to force some of the pieces into place. The joints were taped to prevent any air loss. springs are on the other side and i tightened with a torque wrench to compress springs to the proper values this is when I had 3 x 162 packs. I have since tore it apart and now have 4 16s packs which required some other gymnastics to get them to fit. i did not take photos of that though, my apologies.

Back