diy solar

diy solar

Mini-split Installation Concerns

forbin

We hired a guy to do a mini-split install. He worked quickly and confidently, and seemed to have a lot of experience, but he did not do a couple of things that I saw in all the instructional YouTube videos we watched. For one thing, he did not use a vacuum pump and gauge, like we saw in all the videos, including the one by Will Prowse. He just connected the hoses and tubing and called it good. Assuming the bubble test does not show a leak, is his approach okay?

[UPDATE: False alarm, sort of. We did end up going through the vacuum and leak testing procedure, after all. ]

Last edited:
It is about moisture. Vacuuming the lines and holding vacuum removes water from the lineset.

There are newer line sets, with special fittings, that can come pre-charged (and vacuumed) with refrigerant. If you have some picks of the fittings outside, you/we should be able to tell.

If your unit came with "quick connect" lines, sure, that would be fine and expected. If your unit has flared fittings, then no.

Another way to know, if the lines were cut/shortened when installed, then it absolutely needed to be vacuumed. I wouldn't be shocked if it works to some degree even without evacuation, but it's certainly not anywhere near as efficient or correct.

Some few models come wit evacuated hoses and quick connects that allow this, but most cheaper ones do not. If there is air in the system it's a "Bad Thing" for your system.

Make & Model of the unit?
I would not categorize Mini Splits that do not have vacuumed evaporators as the “Cheap ones“.
Most units including the very expensive Panasonic Units do not come pre-vacuumed.
Pre-vacuumed systems are mainly for DIY customers.
Most AC installers like to make their hose jobs neat, so dealing with five feet of extra hose is more problematic than just cutting the copper to the right length and flanging it.
once done a ten minute vacuum job and your done.

Back