diy solar

diy solar

One Mini-Split or Two?

forbin

We're trying to go bargain basement on a mini-split. I know there are units that do 2 or 3 zones, but those are expensive and right now we just want to cool a bedroom. If we buy a cheap $750 12000 btu 110V 20 SEER mini split for the bedroom, and then later we decide to cool another part of the house and buy another one, we don't mind the inconvenience of not having a single point of control, and we don't mind having more than one unit on the outside of the house. (We're off-grid and the property is not going to win any beauty pageants.) However, would we end up using a lot more solar energy than if we had just started with a single 24000 btu unit?

We're trying to go bargain basement on a mini-split. I know there are units that do 2 or 3 zones, but those are expensive and right now we just want to cool a bedroom. If we buy a cheap $750 12000 btu 110V 20 SEER mini split for the bedroom, and then later we decide to cool another part of the house and buy another one, we don't mind the inconvenience of not having a single point of control, and we don't mind having more than one unit on the outside of the house. (We're off-grid and the property is not going to win any beauty pageants.) However, would we end up using a lot more solar energy than if we had just started with a single 24000 btu unit?
My EG4 24K would run you out of a small bedroom....it is cooling my kitchen and living room and hall way......seperate 12K for our bedroom.....added another EG4 24K in another bedroom where our freeze drier is located....leave door open to hall and this keeps the whole house cool. The 12K unit was off amazon, a senville for around $900 delivered I believe.

Forgot to add as Timselectric would say.....back up to my back up to my back up........never have to get hot in some room of the house.....

My EG4 24K would run you out of a small bedroom....it is cooling my kitchen and living room and hall way......seperate 12K for our bedroom.....added another EG4 24K in another bedroom where our freeze drier is located....leave door open to hall and this keeps the whole house cool. The 12K unit was off amazon, a senville for around $900 delivered I believe.
That sounds like what I want to hear. I'm looking at this one for the bedroom.

Get one for each space where you need one. 3 minis for three spaces will use less energy than one unit for three spaces for the simple reason that you can turn a unit off if you are not in that room or area.
That is what I wanted to hear!

I know several people who have had the Pioneer 12k split units for years and they are happy with them.
For around $790 you can get one that is Inverter based. That will save you some significant power vs a regular system.

Independent mono splits are more efficient than a dual, triple.., etc. I have two mitsubishi kirigamine style installed (2 x 9000 btu) and they are super efficient. I am running ac all day on solar using 7-8 kwh in total, keeping a difference temperature of 12° C (22 °F) between inside and outside the house.

I have three buildings heated/cooled by minisplits. Two have multiple head (indoor) units, while a third has just one. If possible, go with a single head unit per outdoor compressor unit rather than multiple separate head units. Much more efficient, as others have noted.

Just installed the Senville 24k Aura heat pump myself at our cabin. It’s conditioning the main level with no problem which is about 1200 sqft. Bought this model for the low ambient heat function. It’s a little more than Leto series but supposedly more efficient.

Anyway, works great. Seems to be highly efficient cooling so far but temps in our area of TN really don’t go above 78° in summer. Definitely helps with dehumidification.

Here is a weekly view of power consumption. Note the first week I ran it hard to test it out. That was set for 67°.

Attachments

• IMG_3528.jpeg
    IMG_3528.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 26
If you have 240V capability, then install a 240V unit.

I believe in single units. Multi head units will have ghost flow thru the other other heads.

Also check the SEER of those 2 or 3 head mini splits, none of them get much higher than 20. We run our two head mitsu unit with just one head 24/7 on dry and low fan, it’s pretty minimal load, during daylight we turn on the first floor head and help keep the entire house co.

Where as single head units can be had >25 SEER.

Go with individual units, 9K btu are fine for rooms up to 20x20 providing they have code minimum level insulation. I installed a pair of scratch and dent 9K MrCools, total into it is less than 1k usd and they have performed awesome and provide redundancy to the home's main heat pump.

12,000 Btu is probably to big for just a bedroom, a 9k unit would be better.
We have a 9K btu Honeywell portable in there right now. It runs continually and struggles to get the temp below 85F. That's why I'm looking at a 12K.

Go with individual units, 9K btu are fine for rooms up to 20x20 providing they have code minimum level insulation. I installed a pair of scratch and dent 9K MrCools, total into it is less than 1k usd and they have performed awesome and provide redundancy to the home's main heat pump.
I don't think the cabin is well-insulated. We have a 9K btu Honeywell portable in the bedroom already. It runs continually and struggles to get the temp below 85F.

Back