diy solar

diy solar

One Mini-Split or Two?

I don't think the cabin is well-insulated. We have a 9K btu Honeywell portable in the bedroom already. It runs continually and struggles to get the temp below 85F.
A portable unit? I had the exact same situation in a very well insulated appartment. Mine was an Argo small unit, 9k btu also i believe, the model is n° 398000478. It was a waste of power and it didnt cooled much. I think the problem is that it needs to vent out an enourmous volume of air so a lot of hot air from outside needs to come in to replace it.
I had installed two mono splits 9k each a month ago and there is no comparison, they can cool my 2000 sqft house with ease.
I suggest also to check how the cabin is built. There are a lot of cheap and easy ways to improve insulation.

We have a 9K btu Honeywell portable in there right now. It runs continually and struggles to get the temp below 85F. That's why I'm looking at a 12K.
Portable as in a wheely AC that has an exhaust vent?

I’ve noticed they blow so hot much air outside that it suck hot air from the rest of the house they are only good for very small rooms knock a bit of heat out but will never cool. Let alone all the air gaps around the open window you need for that exhaust piping.

Comparing 9k portable, to 9k of a mini split is vastly different.

12,000 Btu is probably to big for just a bedroom, a 9k unit would be better.
Already have a 9k Honeywell portable in there. It works hard and only cools the room to 84F. It gets hot here.

Portable as in a wheely AC that has an exhaust vent?

I’ve noticed they blow so hot much air outside that it suck hot air from the rest of the house they are only good for very small rooms knock a bit of heat out but will never cool. Let alone all the air gaps around the open window you need for that exhaust piping.

Comparing 9k portable, to 9k of a mini split is vastly different.
We've noticed the same thing. It's amazing how much hot air the thing blows out. Once day I walked into the room and mistook it for a politician. :) You think a 9K mini-split would do the job where a 9K portable does not?

A portable unit? I had the exact same situation in a very well insulated appartment. Mine was an Argo small unit, 9k btu also i believe, the model is n° 398000478. It was a waste of power and it didnt cooled much. I think the problem is that it needs to vent out an enourmous volume of air so a lot of hot air from outside needs to come in to replace it.
I had installed two mono splits 9k each a month ago and there is no comparison, they can cool my 2000 sqft house with ease.
I suggest also to check how the cabin is built. There are a lot of cheap and easy ways to improve insulation.
That's very interesting. You're the second or third person to say something similar. It makes me reconsider the 9K mini-split, but I'd hate to buy one, install it, and find that it works about as well as the portable. That would be a huge bummer. If only there was a way to be sure. A couple of other people suggested getting the 12K anyway, as it will throttle down when it doesn't need the extra power.

If you have 240V capability, then install a 240V unit.

I believe in single units. Multi head units will have ghost flow thru the other other heads.

How important is 240V? The selection of 240V units in my price range of < $800 that are inverter-based, come pre-charged, and have a decent review rating, is pretty small. I have a good 110V unit picked out, but now I wonder if I should wait and keep looking for a 240V unit.

I would get a 240v one not 110. More believes load for an inverter to run
Can you elaborate? I'm having trouble finding a decent 240V unit for under $800, but there's several 110V units that meet my specs and have good reviews. How important is 240V?

Two main reasons IMHO is (positive first negative second):

1. Two separate mini split systems reverse cycle at their own intervals while heating leaving the building without heat or on backup heat to a minimum. Reverse cycles can exceed 12 minutes.

2. The extra cost of more electrical connections, pad or wall mount hardware and locations can be problematic.

That's very interesting. You're the second or third person to say something similar. It makes me reconsider the 9K mini-split, but I'd hate to buy one, install it, and find that it works about as well as the portable. That would be a huge bummer. If only there was a way to be sure. A couple of other people suggested getting the 12K anyway, as it will throttle down when it doesn't need the extra power.
Well i can tell you that if the portable 9k you have struggles to keep the room at 85f (which is 29c) it could be that you need to upgrade your insulation. What is the outside temperature when the portable 9k has the room at 85? That can tell a lot about how well a mini split will perform.

How important is 240V? The selection of 240V units in my price range of < $800 that are inverter-based, come pre-charged, and have a decent review rating, is pretty small. I have a good 110V unit picked out, but now I wonder if I should wait and keep looking for a 240V unit.
One reason for 240V is the load is equally shared on both legs. This helps with load management.

The 240V units are also just slightly higher efficient than a 120V unit. One reason is 120V draws more amps = more heat generated which is just wasted energy. Higher SEER rated heat pumps only seem available in 230/240V.

I know several people who have had the Pioneer 12k split units for years and they are happy with them.
For around $790 you can get one that is Inverter based. That will save you some significant power vs a regular system.
Will just did a video on pioneer minisplits, and at the end he shows a pioneer clone that is identical fir less$

Can you elaborate? I'm having trouble finding a decent 240V unit for under $800, but there's several 110V units that meet my specs and have good reviews. How important is 240V?
Here is one.

This is where I bought my three mini splits from. I don't know anything about olmo brand though-mine are midea

Some portables are fantastic, some are garbage.
Never use the portable units with only one hose... total waste of energy.

Well i can tell you that if the portable 9k you have struggles to keep the room at 85f (which is 29c) it could be that you need to upgrade your insulation. What is the outside temperature when the portable 9k has the room at 85? That can tell a lot about how well a mini split will perform.
It can do about 85F when the outside temp is 100+ F. It's gotten up to 104-5F around here recently.

$600 units on Amazon all day long. The Della ones even have Wi-Fi built in.
I've looked at those but the percentage of 1-star reviews is high, around 10%. It scares me that 1 in 10 people who bought them have reported a very bad experience. Do you have one? How has it worked for you?

Back