diy solar

diy solar

More batteries, more Better?

Jamasarah

I have also been told, if I add more batteries to my, four 12v deep cycle marine batteries.... I will still have low batteries in the morning and it will shut down my MPP 6048 solar unit?‍♀️? WHY?

By the way, I only run a few fans to sleep (HOT), watch TV for a couple hours and have Wi-Fi. So if this is true then what should I do, I can’t afford those expensive ion phosphate batteries.

Can I disconnect the batteries and just don’t have any electricity after the sun goes down? Will my solar unit still run without batteries?

What is the idle current of your inverter? That is with everything turned off and only the inverter running what's the draw? It may be as simple as turning off your inverter at night when you are done. My controller consumes 10w just sitting there and if the inverter is on and no power being used it still takes almost an amp.

What is the idle current of your inverter? That is with everything turned off and only the inverter running what's the draw? It may be as simple as turning off your inverter at night when you are done. My controller consumes 10w just sitting there and if the inverter is on and no power being used it still takes almost an amp.

Standby Power Consumption <23W

I have also been told, if I add more batteries to my, four 12v deep cycle marine batteries.... I will still have low batteries in the morning and it will shut down my MPP 6048 solar unit?‍♀️? WHY?

By the way, I only run a few fans to sleep (HOT), watch TV for a couple hours and have Wi-Fi. So if this is true then what should I do, I can’t afford those expensive ion phosphate batteries.

Can I disconnect the batteries and just don’t have any electricity after the sun goes down? Will my solar unit still run without batteries?

Assuming your four 12v batteries are 100ah each are wired in series you have a 48v 100 ah battery pack. The manufacturer says "It’s suggested to connect at least 200Ah capacity battery" So you should add another 4 batteries in series connected in parallel to make a 48V 200ah battery bank.

But your stuff should still run.

No, your inverter needs to be connected to a battery bank to run. It will go into utility bypass and other things but it needs a battery to "wake up" and come out of standby

I'm gonna guess this is a continuation of another thread.
Do you have a shunt based battery monitor?

Last edited:

Also, your 48v 100ah lead acid battery bank only has 50ah available for you to use. 48 X 50 = 2400 watt hours, ... so if you add up all your stuff you can only run 2400 watts for an hour... probably still get those few things through the night, but until you do the math we are all just guessing?

Assuming your four 12v batteries are 100ah each are wired in series you have a 48v 100 ah battery pack. The manufacturer says "It’s suggested to connect at least 200Ah capacity battery" So you should add another 4 batteries in series connected in parallel to make a 48V 200ah battery bank.

But your stuff should still run.

No, your inverter needs to be connected to a battery bank to run. It will go into utility bypass and other things but it needs a battery to "wake up" and come out of standby
Thanks that makes sense

Thanks that makes sense
I reread what you said this morning, and I have also been told that I need enough batteries to equal the 6000 W of my solar units capability and how many 12v batteries would that take, and how would I hook them up… Oh deliver me, ? this just gets more complicated, as I go ?
As One comment said, “I feel dumber the more I learn about Solar” ? UGHA

Solar is 6000W? Meaning you have 6000W of solar panels?
that is average 30,000W of potential energy per day… so… what is the usage? I mean, what are you powering with it?

If you are meaning your inverter is 6000W, then overnight it COULD output 96,000Wh of energy… depending on what you have operating.

And you have 100Ah? Or about 5000Wh but it is lead acid, so only 2500Wh usable before damaging the batteries?

Yes, that’s exactly what I do, as soon as the sun goes down I turn it off, but the fan continues to run for about 20 or 30 more minutes and then it shuts down.
I did keep my fans going for a couple hours last night because it was so hot in here?And it did just fine so the four batteries still showed full charge this morning when I turned it back on. Thank you so much for your help

Back