diy solar

diy solar

Morningstar Controller Webinars and Resources

reg

Winter: New York City Summer: Atlantic Canada
I just watched Morningstar's webinar on its controllers. It presents this webinar once a month at three different times during the day. The webinar is well organised and not dumbed down. I liked the fact that they go under the hood to show and talk about the internal components and operation of their controllers. Good question and answer session at the end with one of their engineers. Their controllers are made in Taiwan, where they also make their SureSine inverter.

I purchased a SureSine inverter in part because it uses a heat sink instead of a fan to dissipate heat. Turns out that their controllers also use a heat sink. Morningstar sees this as a matter of avoiding a failure point. I just like the fact that their products provide silent operation.

Morningstar focuses on controllers, and the SureSine inverter is fairly small at 300W/600W peak. I asked whether they have plans to make a more powerful inverter. This is apparently under consideration. I hope that they proceed. The SureSine isn't cheap, but it's built like a tank and I'm willing to pay for quiet.

If you go to Morningstar > Resources, there are pages for both its upcoming monthly webinars and several pre-recorded webinars. There's also a good deal of documentation, including how-to videos. This morning's webinar was recorded, and I'll receive a link tomorrow. There was also a downloadable deck.

There's an earlier thread here on Morningstar support titled Morningstar SCC and their (GOOD) tech support.

Last edited:
I've been using a Morningstar Tristar MPPT-45 for 7 years and have 0 regrets.

Yeah, my two MS controllers are really solid and have been for years. No noise, perfect operation, easily customized, networked, and the software is surprisingly powerful when you spend time to figure it out. But you're right, not terribly dumbed down. More "industrial solid". IMHO

Back