diy solar

diy solar

Mounting Batteries to wall with Super Strut?

LikeWithMike

Looking to do something like the below on my wall, but seems the mounts for both the batteries and Victrons don't align exactly to 16" studs. So thought was batteries for sure will be aligned to ensure they are supported by 2x 8ft (Floor to ceiling super structs lag screwed to the sheetrock/studs. Then use some horizontal superstruct to provide mounting points to the back plates of the batteries and victrons. The wire raceways would also be mounted to those likely, but could have single cover for those on top with gaps bridging where they cross the vertical mounts since they are 4x4 raceways and may do panduit for workability/flexibility since I'm a tinker-er.

Thoughts?

Alternative was add thick subfloor board/plywood with fireboard/sheetrock on top and wood screw the heck out of it for the batteries, but trust the super strut more knowing they all hit studs floor to ceiling and give me a whole lower 1/2 to double the system size or add more storage below.

*Yes I know these batteries say or recommend "Feet" to floor for proper support. I'm sure its there for safety purposes, but unless the metal back plates unwelded or something major i'm not too concerned and again know my super strut isn't going anywhere.
I did a similiar setup for the Enphase 10 batteries, excel 3 vertical rails floor to ceiling, 12 points per rail, 36 for 2x 10 Batteries which is 600+ Lb and its all been holding up just fine and on my exterior of the house too and did stainless hardware and galvanized + painted super strut for consmetics.

screenshot-2024-05-15-183842-png.215639

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-15 183842.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-15 183842.png
    291.3 KB · Views: 43
Fire Retardant Plywood, 3/4" x 4' x 8'. screw it to the studs and mount your equipment to the plywood.

Guessing this is fine with 300LB battery units and #8 or #10 screws only into plywood of 3/4 or 1” since most of weight is pushing downward not pulling outward? Battery plate just add some additional screw holes and top edge with washers to over engineer it? 8x wood screws into the wood are approx 40Lb downward force with a fraction of weight pulling outward since it sticks out from wall approx 1ft

Back