diy solar

diy solar

Mounting new solar PVs on existing rails

xmess7

Hi folks:

Are there any issues with installing newer solar panels over an existing rail setup? Especially if the new number of panels will be less than have of what I currently have on the rails?

Currently I have 30 PVs (3kW) on my roof, this install was done back in 2010. Ye, after all this time, they are still operating at very acceptable power levels about 86% from origin :). But now I want to basically get off the grid and to do that I will get newer panels, battery storage and a bybrid inverter..

In brief, based on the calculations I would need 13 new panels to accomplish this. So since once I remove the 30 Panels there will be plenty of room for the new panels and as long as the weight distribution is centered(don't see it as an issue) it should be ok, right? Hmm, will probably I need to register this with the city as well? But, don't know, I am not adding to the existing panel, on the contrary I am going to use less space.

Any info is appreciated.
Jess

The geometry could get you, depending on the layout and size of the panels.

Why replace the old panels if they're still working well?

But now I want to basically get off the grid and to do that I will get newer panels, battery storage and a bybrid inverter..
How much extra power do you think will be produced in this area same amount of area?

Last edited:
Back