diy solar

diy solar

Mounting solar panel to extruded aluminum rails - best way

sandog

I have 4 znshine 540w bifacial panels I am looking at mounting to slotted extruded aluminum rails. I was wondering what is the best method for connecting this? In addition, the extruded aluminum will be installed perpendicularly onto two tubes of 1" stainless tubing. I was wondering if any one has a great way of connecting the extruded aluminum to the stainless pipe.

Thank you

Would have to know the profile (shape) of the extruded aluminum. To make any suggestions.

I believe that both of those have slots for mounting hardware.
I would use angel brackets and U-bolts for mounting to the pipe. And possibly carriage bolts, washers, and nuts for the panels.

This was my plan when I was considering extruded aluminum…

There are bolts that fit into the slot and have the threads going up - line the bolt to where there is already a hole in the panel frame, then use a nut to tighten it down.
This assumes you can access the underside of the panel.

This was my plan when I was considering extruded aluminum…

There are bolts that fit into the slot and have the threads going up - line the bolt to where there is already a hole in the panel frame, then use a nut to tighten it down.
This assumes you can access the underside of the panel.
I, unfortunately, will not have access to the underside of the panel.

Check the dimensions of Unirac top clamps, see if the T head can fit in your slots.
Here's one of several models.

Or do something similar with slot nuts, a plate over top of panel frames, and a bolt of suitable length. (for end, you'll need something that won't tilt off, possibly piece of angle aluminum or another Unirac part:

To connect to a pipe, U-bolt grips pipe. Either bolt angle aluminum on side of rails with U-bolt through holes, or drill rails for tall U-bolt.

I've used Unirac rails with angle to mount on pipe, and another brand of channel which I drilled to fit the U-bolt.

Back